Connection to #8 at PDX

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YOUNG FAITHFUL

Train Attendant
When #14 is running very late to PDX, where are passengers usually bused to make that connection to EB Empire Builder?

Well Amtrak has finally made up their mind since the northbound Coast Starlate is almost always late enough to miss the connection. Amtrak no longer guaranttes a connection between northbound Coast Starlight train 14 and eastbound Empire Builder train 28 at Portland. Passengers wishing for a same day connection between these two trains will exit the Starlight at Klamath Falls, OR and board a dedicated motorcoach for an eleven hour ride (via Chemult, OR) to connect to the Builder at Pasco, WA. Check out the Official Amtrak Press Release regarding this change that became effective August 13, 2005.

Now if you wanted to do an overnight in Seattle or Portland that's still possible. I personally would love to spend a night in Seattle, maybe catch a Mariners game, see a little bit of the town, etc.

battalion51 said:
Now if you wanted to do an overnight in Seattle or Portland that's still possible. I personally would love to spend a night in Seattle, maybe catch a Mariners game, see a little bit of the town, etc.
Yea that is the best way to do it hands down. Atleast this way, the worst case scenario is that you arrive Seattle or Portland 12 hours late and only have 7-8 hours in the city. Which is a whole lot better then having to spend 11 hours on a bus.

QUOTE (battalion51 @ Tue, Nov 8, 2005, 03:08 PM)

Aloha

I would rather do that than spend even one hour on a bus.

As much as I hate overly long bus rides, I might have to do that 11 hour ride to Pasco. I have to attempt a same night connection with #8. I would imagine that the trip is scenic at least. :(

Latest posts

Back