Connections - Am I in any jeopardy? (LSL to TE in CHI)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barskin

Train Attendant
AU Supporting Member
My big exciting Boston to San Antonio trip is on my my mind. I am on the Lake Shore Limited connecting to the Texas Eagle in Chicago (sleeper cars on both), and now I am reading horror stories (missed connections, given coach seats the next day). I am scheduled to arrive in Chicago at 9:50 am and depart at 1:45 pm. Could the experienced people tell me the likelihood of my missing the connection with a 4 hour window?

The first time I made the LSL->EB connection (2:15 departure), we were late enough that we all had to walk directly from the LSL to the EB, which left as soon as all the LSL passengers boarded. I don't remember if they held it for us and it departed late, or if we arrived minutes before 2:15. I think if we had been a little later, they would have held it for us. As I recall, there were about 20-30 passengers making the connection. So it is certainly possible for the LSL to be late enough to miss the 1:45 TE, but that was the only time it was close and I've never actually missed the connection.

Usually (i.e. every other time I've tried), there have been hours to spare, including connecting to the EB and TE several times. Other people on this site have ridden many more times than I have, but I wouldn't worry about it.

If you absolutely have to reach San Antonio that day. If so, I might consider arriving in San Antonio the day before. I think Amtrak will pay for your hotel in Chicago if you book the connection on a single ticket and the LSL is late. If your destination is actually on the Sunset Limiter west of San Antonio, it doesn't run every day. I don't know what happens if you miss your connection then.

Over the past 50 years of coast to coast train riding I have never once missed a westbound connection in Chicago. Not saying it can't happen. I'm sure it does and probably I've been lucky.

Not so eastbound. Trains running from the East into Chicago travel shorter distances then trains from the west coast hence there is less opportunity for severe connection blowing delays. This is why, on my eastbound trips, I always plan an overnight in Chicago. Besides I have discovered that, for a railfan, there is no better place to kill time than Chicago.

Back