CONO service disruption 59 (22)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MainerTrainer

Train Attendant
The 59 train, City of New Orleans is stuck in Carbondale. We left on time Sunday, 10/22, but were woken up in Carbondale at 4:00am with an announcement that there was an unrepairable problem with the engine and we all needed to get off the train because they were going to bring a whole new train from Chicago. We’ll reportedly have all the same rooms, etc.

Not sure why they couldn’t just bring a new engine. I suspect we’ll be here a few hours. We’re 5 hours or so from Chicago.

The 59 train, City of New Orleans is stuck in Carbondale. We left on time Sunday, 10/22, but were woken up in Carbondale at 4:00am with an announcement that there was an unrepairable problem with the engine and we all needed to get off the train because they were going to bring a whole new train from Chicago. We’ll reportedly have all the same rooms, etc.

Not sure why they couldn’t just bring a new engine. I suspect we’ll be here a few hours. We’re 5 hours or so from Chicago.
Does your train only have one Amtrak locomotive?

The 58 train is stopped just south of us. There is an engine to move our train off the platform for the 58 train to arrive. I think we’re going to swap trains but I couldn’t hear everything the conductor said. There was no proper announcement, just him shouting to a few folks on the platform.

I think they’ll swap consists and are sending an engine or maybe a Illini train to take 58’s passengers the rest of the way to Chicago.

Maybe but if just swapping consists why did we all have to get off to change trains? It’s all a mystery right now.

Apparently the 58 train will become the 59 and vice versa. Just heard that.

Right, @AmtrakBlue we just got on the old 58 train. Still unanswered is why we couldn’t just swap engines. Now sleeper pax are in the observation car so compartments can be remade. Hopefully we’re provisioned for breakfast. At least there’s coffee. And 58’s pax are now standing around waiting to get onto the old 59 train that will also need rooms made up.

Right, @AmtrakBlue we just got on the old 58 train. Still unanswered is why we couldn’t just swap engines. Now sleeper pax are in the observation car so compartments can be remade. Hopefully we’re provisioned for breakfast. At least there’s coffee. And 58’s pax are now standing around waiting to get onto the old 59 train that will also need rooms made up.
I imagine they moved the food from 59's "diner" to 58's "diner" while 58's passengers detrained.

Perhaps this is due to the axle count requirement, which might prevent them running a light engine down from Chicago
Best answer I’ve heard yet. Once things settle down on board, I’ll ask.

I imagine they moved the food from 59's "diner" to 58's "diner" while 58's passengers detrained.
That would make sense, hoping you’re right!

The conductor said the 59 engine, the first one, leaked 40-50 gallons of oil.

We made up a little time and got pizza brought on board in Greenwood, Miss. Never got an explanation of why we had to do the whole train switcheroo.

Now we’re stuck in Arcola, LA with an electrical problem with the engine and we’ve been here about an hour. Remember, this is our second engine of the trip.

Our journey continues. We’re past Hammond now, the next (scheduled) stop is New Orleans. We’re underway but with no electrical power so no AC, no charging devices and the toilets don’t flush. At least we’re moving.
Makes my complaint about the duct tape holding the ceiling together on the Missouri River Runner seem like nothing! The time Son #1 was on the northbound Saluki (same tracks as CONO) when it hit a tree was a bigger problem; those passengers got "bustituted" for about an hour while the track was cleared, and the hubby and I ended up having time to watch a movie and have supper in Kankakee (something we normally never had time to do) while waiting for Son #1's train to arrive.

Back