Convince me that trains are better than planes

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reply to Saxmann. I know you can drive the country and we have been doing that for years but we are tired of the long distance ones. We thought it would be easier not to drive in NYC or worry about paying for our car to sit somewhere for over a week.

Guest_Gingee said:
What are the bathrooms like?  Like airplane bathrooms or bigger?
They're very similar to airplane bathrooms. Maybe a little bigger but not much.

Thanks guys. I went ahead and gave them my charge card number today. Gad, what a process. They had me booked for $13.80 more than five days ago. Then she finally ended up changing it to the price quoted to me. Then the first person said that I would get 100 percent back of our ticket if we cancelled. The person today said that there would be a l0 percent charge if cancelled. Anyone know the truth? We are going coach. I just couldn't justify spending $1000 more on a room. Hey, we are headed into NYC hotels and a cruise. That's enough!!!! LOL

Guest_Gingee said:
Reply to Saxmann. I know you can drive the country and we have been doing that for years but we are tired of the long distance ones. We thought it would be easier not to drive in NYC or worry about paying for our car to sit somewhere for over a week.
Well the driving part was mainly refering to "Guest" who asked why anyone would train across the country instead of fly. It is true about the 10% rule when you purchase your tickets. Maybe someone else can correct because I can't remember the exact details. I think if you cancel, if you a get a refund, you get a 10% reduction. But you can save the 10% and put that towards a different Amtrak trip, if you cancel that way.

Just enjoy the trip! Hope you have fun on the cruise and in NYC.

Chris

Thanks. I was also wondering if they run that buy one get one ticket free offer, can you switch your reservations to the cheaper rate without a penalty?

You mention you are going on a cruise. What cruise line?

Amtrak has a Rail & Cruise program that must be booked through a travel agent, that offers up to a 25% discount off your ticket, depending on time of the year and the cruise line. The deal must be booked through a travel agent and the cruise line needs to be a part of the program. The program is with Carnival, Holland America, Norwegian Cruise Line, Windjammer and American Steamboat Company.

It seems as though there is a slight flavour (usa - flavor!) of people saying "convince me that I should have a skiing holiday rather than a beach holiday...the two are as different as trains and planes! Both have their good points!

Ed. B)

As far as a Cruise discount, we get a percentage off coming back from the cruise but not going because it runs into the Memorial Day Weekend. For that, we are using AAA for the going trip.

Guest said:
You mention you are going on a cruise. What cruise line?
Amtrak has a Rail & Cruise program that must be booked through a travel agent, that offers up to a 25% discount off your ticket, depending on time of the year and the cruise line. The deal must be booked through a travel agent and the cruise line needs to be a part of the program. The program is with Carnival, Holland America, Norwegian Cruise Line, Windjammer and American Steamboat Company.
I only read where they have an affiliation with Carnival and Holland America (which is owned by Carnival). I didn't see NCL mentioned or any other cruise line. If we go by train (Coast Starlight) 25+ hours up to Seattle, it's because we're on our way to embark on a NCL cruise. Wish we had some sort of discount for that! :p

You do have a discount available if you are taking an NCL cruise. They were just added this year. The same Fare codes that exist for Carnival and Holland are used for NCL.. Ask your travel agent for information. They can call 1-800-TEL-TRAK for more information & reservations, however you must have a confirmation number from the cruise line to get the discount.

Back