Convince me that trains are better than planes

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Guest_Gingee

Okay, I need to be convinced that it is worth spending 24 hours on a train versus five on a plane. I hate to fly but gad, 24 hours? Is that horrible if you take the coach (which we would do since we are a family of four). I know the price difference isn't much from taking a plane.

Okay, convince me.

Here are a few general comments about pricing and Amtrak vs. Flying:

If your are going to be spending the night in your destination in a hotel, you need to calculate the cost of the hotel and the transportation cost from the airport to the hotel into your overall expenses. If you are on the train overnight, you will avoid the hotel cost and the taxi/shuttle service cost.

If you want to consider using Amtrak First Class, you also need to throw in the cost of your meals in your destination, since your meals would be included on Amtrak.

Don't simply compare rail fare vs. air fare.

If you are a family of four, you also need to calculate additional costs associated with your destination. Will you be sightseeing in your destination in the first 24 hours? If so, you will avoid those costs by using Amtrak, since you will be doing your sightseeing out the window and exposing your family to new things to see.

Plus, your time on the train will be much more pleasant than your time getting to the airport, checking your luggage and going through security..........and remember, you and your family can get up and walk around on the train, meet other people, have a meal or snack and stretch your legs. Try that on a plane and see how far you get.

Enjoy your trip.

I don't think we have first class that I know of. The only choice I got was coach or sleeper. We took coach. That isn't a first class is it?

Guest_Gingee said:
I don't think we have first class that I know of. The only choice I got was coach or sleeper. We took coach. That isn't a first class is it?
No. The sleeper is considered first class.

Oh pooh. I thought it was too good to be true. I think a sleeper one way and a two bedroom (the other way) is an additional $1000 for four of us.

That is a bit much $$, I would agree. For me, having the Amtrak station about 10 minutes from the house, (compared to an hour driving to the major airport, through awful traffic) with free parking (even long-term!!), the ability to park the car within 30 - 50 feet of the station, so that I don't have to walk or carry bags more than 50 feet, is worth an awful lot. And not having to ransom the car for some ungodly ridiculous parking fee at the airport when I return (followed by another hour's drive to get home through awful traffic), and, once parked at the airport, you have to walk a good half-mile between where you park the car and the ticket counter, carrying your bags, carry-ons, etc., then walking another half-mile inside the terminal, carrying all the carry-on stuff, to get to the gate, go through ridiculously long and slow lines getting almost strip-searched to get through security, then having to squinch into a sardine-can size seat and stay there to destination.......... and so forth. Give me Amtrak every time compared to that, but we usually go coach, depending on the cost and the length of the trip, etc.. But then again, that sleeper cost is also your hotel room, and includes all your meals paid for, for the whole family traveling with you, for the duration of the trip.... And it's a hotel with moving scenery. And with a train, if you and your bags get on that train from L.A. to Orlando, it's REAL difficult for your baggage to end up in Madrid.

24 hours? Fly! Remember, time is MONEY! Also I think 5 hours on a plane would be MUCH more comfortable and worth the security hassle than 24 hours sitting in coach. Yeah you can walk around but I know I would go STIR CRAZY. That's just me though.

Guest said:
>>24 hours? Fly! Remember, time is MONEY! Also I think 5 hours on a plane would be MUCH more comfortable and worth the security hassle than 24 hours sitting in coach. Yeah you can walk around but I know I would go STIR CRAZY. That's just me though.<<
Then why in the world are you coming to this forum? :unsure:

You guys get me. Especially the one telling me to fly.

I was also wondering if there are many people on these trains or is that the thing of the past. Also, my teen was wondering about "creepy people" on these trains. Have you ever felt like you wanted to sit on your baggage with a shield around you so the "creepy people" don't attack you.

Chatter163 said:
Guest said:
>>24 hours? Fly! Remember, time is MONEY! Also I think 5 hours on a plane would be MUCH more comfortable and worth the security hassle than 24 hours sitting in coach. Yeah you can walk around but I know I would go STIR CRAZY. That's just me though.<<
Then why in the world are you coming to this forum? :unsure:
Because I am taking Amtrak for the first time tommorow and have no clue what I am doing. My only real viable option was to take the train (and the cheapest option.) I am not going long distance though, just 500 miles. But a 24 train ride would make me go crazy.

I think train service for short distance is great but long distance it just doesn't strike me as being very smart. But then again I've never done long distance on a train.

Food service on the Cardinal consists of a dinette car, which offers sandwiches, snacks, and drinks. Never had a problem with "creepy people" before.

Guest said:
I think train service for short distance is great but long distance it just doesn't strike me as being very smart. But then again I've never done long distance on a train.
Aloha

Never done long Dstance, then you Don't know what your missing.

Also "creepy people", that sounds like a movie title. :lol: :lol:

Hi Guest/new train traveler:

Each Amtrak train is unique in terms of scenery and service, and I haven't ridden the Cardinal. I have taken several other trains, however. I have found the train (in the US and Europe) to be the most comfy way to travel. You can get up and hang out in the lounge, eat in the dining car (if there is one), and I have rarely seen 'creepy' people on a train, as opposed to Greyhound where I've seen PLENTY. shudder.

You ought to take your kids just so they can experience something that is so a part of American history and culture. The kids I saw on the train seemed to be having a great time. I'd go for it and just enjoy the scenery, the folks you'l meet in the lounge, and read a good book.

I agree that train travel is not for everybody.(though obviously it is for me, 140,000 miles under my belt ) ....but it is worth giving it a chance. You might like it.You don't ever have to do it again if you do not like it.

For me, time stands still on the train. I relax, watch the scenery, meet new people in the dining car and the lounge car. Few, if any are "creeps". I have seen a drunk or two during the years but scarcely anybody I would classify as a"creep".And you can see drunks on the plane and bus and hotels also.

It needs to be pointed out that coach seating on a train is much roomier than coach seating on a plane. You will NOT be like sardines in a can.

Sometimes the food is incredibly good,but usually it is AT LEAST "ok". especially dinner and breakfast. For lunch the choices are not that great. The Cardinal's snack items should be good decent food, though not quite the prime rib steak one can often find in the full service dining cars at dinner.

Some of us enjoy eating on a moving vehicle, walking through the train, people watching. It is neat to go bed with one kind of scenery outside your window(like forests) and wake up to something completely different(like the desert). Nothing that drastic would happen on the Cardinal's route of course, but if you are traveling from Chicago to the west coast, for example, it certainly does happen and that is rather neat.

It can be neat to observe small and smaller town America outside your window. Look at the little towns, the stores, search for the town name, the towns you no longer see from the Interstate. If can be nice to wake up in the middle of the night, look out the window roll over and go back to sleep.

In the diner you are seated with strangers for logistical reasons---ooops,I believe you are a family of four---then this would not apply. But if you are a party of 1,2 or 3 you may be seated with stranger(s)and that can be quite delightful. You never how interesting that new face might be.(sure, not always, but sometimes.)

If you are in a sleeper there is nothing quite like that experience. Changing clothes on a moving train, figuring out the lavatory details etfc.

Sometimes trains run late, this is mostly due to freight train interfernce, the freight lines own the tracks in most parts of the country and they sometime take the right of way. Note that few delays are Amtrak's fault. Of course at the present moment trains and everything else are in serious trouble in the flooding, snowing, mudsliidng areas of the western U.S. That is not anybody's "fault".

What else? Just relax, slow down, smell the roses, it is a way of enjoying life in the present. It works for me. It doesn't work for everybody. But it is worth a try......who knows?

What else? Just relax, slow down, smell the roses, it is a way of enjoying life in the present. It works for me. It doesn't work for everybody. But it is worth a try......who knows?

I'll second that. The three days on our Empire Builder trip last fall went so fast I couldn't believe it was over as quickly as it was. There is always something to do, look at, someone to talk to, etc.

I have to be doing something all the time, but a 2 night, 3 dqy trip was really great and I enjoed every minute of doing things I had never done before!

Okay guys you are convincing me. Bring on more. LOL

Also, to the people who liked the overnighters, did you sleep in a sleeper or "try to sleep in coach?

Also, how ridiculous are the prices for food? Is there anywhere to check that out? We don't need to eat fancy or expensive since we are headed to a cruise and boy do you eat on those.

Thanks

Convince you? That may be up to you after you try us! I'll be brief!

Trains are better than flying or driving simply because if you come with the right attitude (because most of us know Amtrak is far from perfect), you can potentially enjoy the "getting there" part as much (sometimes more than) as what you plan on doing after you get there or going home, etc!

Also (a little comedy here) if something happens and your train wrecks, well at least you're already on the ground and not falling thousands of feet to the ground! The only thing of concern would be deep water, or high up on a mountain or hill, etc. And driving, though sometimes faster than the train, there are many more other cars to worry about than other trains. And train engineers usually are more experienced with what they are operating as well as they are at work and may be more focused on their (as well as ours) safety! And to give the airline industry some credit here, too. Most airline personel are in the same mindset while at work, too. It is hard to say with some of these drivers on our roads, however! :D OBS.....

I've done several overnighters on Amtrak, and all were excellent.

My first one was last year when I took the Sunset Limited from Orlando to New Orleans. I was ina sleeper, and I enjoyed every minute of it. It turned out to be about a 21-hour ride due to some delays, but the whole trip was very enjoyable.

After that, I took the California Zephyr from Emeryville to Chicago. Once again, I had a sleeper booked for the whole trip. Obviously that trip was stunning...everything about it...simply the most beautiful sights I have EVER seen. I connected in Chicago to the City of New Orleans for a 19-hour ride down to the Big Easy. I was in coach for that overnight run, and I was never uncomfortable.

Just last month I took the Crescent from D.C to New Orleans (about 25 hours) and I had a sleeping car as well. Once again, totally relazing.

Just to prove to myself that I don't need to get a sleeper every time I travel (it does cost more you know) I will be going coach all the way from Philadelphia to New Orleans via Chicago in about a wek and a half. Well, the Philadelphia-Chicago portion is in "Business Class", which is supposed to be nicer than coach..we'll see.

Coach or Sleeping Car, you just can't go wrong. If you do coach for more than one night, however, I would suggest stopping over in some city for a break, just like what i'll be doing next week...I'll have a 12-hour layover in Chicago, which is more than enough time to 'get the blood flowing" again.

Well I thought that we could wash our hair in the afternoon (our first stage of the journey is a bus at 6:30 p.m. to Indy) and try to bear with it until late the next night.

I guess my husband will have to look like a grub without shaving.

By the way, how are the bathrooms?

Thanks for the link to the train info.

The breakfast and lunch does not see too high. Dinner may. Is there two spots you can eat if you don't want the expensive food at night (besides eating what you brought)?

The bathrooms aren't bad. Depends on how often the attendent can clean. I always clean it up a little, to make sure I do my good duty for the day. Just don't expect much, and most likely it'll be very pleasant. Most who complain about the length of the train rides, only sit in their coach seats and don't move around. Remember, if you don't think long distance trains are good, many buses go the same length, as well as many people choose to drive across the country too. So I don't see the difference. I'll be taking the Cardinal farely soon, from Indy to Washington. Oh and I'm not saying flying is better then the train or vice versa. I think they are equal. Both serve a good purpose to give travellers a choice.

Take it from me....I work for a major airline, yet enjoy travelling by train.

Chris

Back