Couple of Questions...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Windigo

Train Attendant
I was looking at the Sunset's train status just to get an idea of how late it usually is from Orlando to New Orleans. If you go to the train status page on Amtrak is shows that the train is supposed to arrive at 9:20 AM, but when you click on a train for more details, it says on all of the ones that haven't left yet that they are scheduled to arrive at 11:55 AM -- not 9:20 like the previous page states. Is that a recent change in schedule to make it appear that it is closer to on time, or has it always been like that?

Also for those who are more experienced in riding the LSL, has anyone taken the eastbound LSL to NYP and tried to connect to the Silver Meteor there? If so, has it ever been late enough that you've missed the Meteor? I called Amtrak and asked what would happen if the train was late enough that I would miss my connection and they said sometimes they'll have a bus at one of the stops in NY somewhere and take those passengers needing to get to Penn Station by a certain time so they can connect. They also said sometimes they'll just put you on the next train out, which I assume would be the Star the next morning. Anyone run into this problem and had either of these options happen? I know if it's close to the time when the Meteor leaves I can get a cross-platform transfer or something of the sort.

None of this mattered to me last year on my trip because I stayed in New York for a day so if the LSL was 24 hours late I would've still made my connection to Florida. Now I'm kind of on a schedule, which is a bad thing to do on Amtrak sometimes, I know :( I've also noticed that if the LSL is late into New York that the Silver Meteor is often leaving late -- maybe it takes equipment from the LSL and has to wait for it no matter what, so I'll be safe :)

I leave from Newton, KS at 2:45 AM Wednesday. Since it's about 70 miles from where I live I'll be leaving home at 11:30 or so in case I run into some car troubles or get lost in the dark. Then it's off on the SW Chief, LSL, Silver Meteor, Sunset, City of NO, and the SW Chief again. 5000 miles of railway goodness with 30 rolls of film by my side :) I feel like I'm coming down with the flu so this could be the most interesting vacation I've ever had.

The Sunset Limited arrives in New Orleans at 9:20AM and departs at 11:55AM. That 2 1/2 hour layover is for servicing the train, a crew change, and adds some padding to the schedule.

I believe that the Lake Shore Limited is better at keeping on-time than some other trains. Last time I rode it I arrived early to New York. No matter how late your train is, Amtrak will get you to your destination because it is a guaranteed connection.

Have a great trip!

Windigo said:
I was looking at the Sunset's train status just to get an idea of how late it usually is from Orlando to New Orleans. If you go to the train status page on Amtrak is shows that the train is supposed to arrive at 9:20 AM, but when you click on a train for more details, it says on all of the ones that haven't left yet that they are scheduled to arrive at 11:55 AM -- not 9:20 like the previous page states. Is that a recent change in schedule to make it appear that it is closer to on time, or has it always been like that?
It sounds to me that you were inquireing about the DEPARTURE and not the ARIVIAL. Amtrak list both on the website where you punch in the information. Make sure you put NEW ORLEANS in the ARIVIAL city and not the DEPARTURE city.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back