Cresant First time riding Coach with my daughter

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TishaNola

Train Attendant
Hi everyone my daughter and I are heading to New Jersey for thanksgiving We are riding coach for the first time. I am fretting ! Anxiety sucks :)

Since we will be over night I was wondering does the number 20 have good leg rests I am going to bring an extra pillow for both of us.

I am also planning on bring at least some food with us I am Diabetic so I am thinking that I should plan ahead .

Does anyone know if they would give me hotwater I have Diabetic drink that I drink in the morning and if the water isnt hot it does not mix well.

Is their plugs at the seat ?

If so then I could always bring my mug that plugs in.

I also have to bring my insulin how hot does it get in coach during November ?

I use the air conditioner pretty much year round in New Orleans.

Any little tips are welcome ! I want to be semi comfortable.

We have a sleeper on the way home :)

This is also my first time traveling since I have been diagnosed with Diabetes

Hi everyone my daughter and I are heading to New Jersey for thanksgiving We are riding coach for the first time. I am fretting ! Anxiety sucks :)

Since we will be over night I was wondering does the number 20 have good leg rests Yes leg rest. Good for some, not for all. I am going to bring an extra pillow for both of us. Yes bring pillows, and a light blanket

I am also planning on bring at least some food with us I am Diabetic so I am thinking that I should plan ahead . An requirement if your using insulin.

Does anyone know if they would give me hotwater Yes you can. I have Diabetic drink that I drink in the morning and if the water isnt hot it does not mix well.

Is their plugs at the seat ? Should be.

If so then I could always bring my mug that plugs in. Great idea.

I also have to bring my insulin how hot does it get in coach during November ? Careful where you put it. Find out were the heat is and don't place it next to it. Easy to get ice in sleeper, bit more harder to get ice in coach. Talk to staff tell them you need it for your insulin, also talk to your Educator about traveling.

I use the air conditioner pretty much year round in New Orleans. Sure rub that in. Dang more snow tonight.

Any little tips are welcome ! I want to be semi comfortable. Read the tips section.

We have a sleeper on the way home :) So this your last time traveling overnight by coach. Once you go sleep you never travel coach again.
Your going to have fun, be sure to ask staff if you have any issues getting two seat together, some crews are great, sometimes you got to ask for help.

We normally always travel in a sleeper but they were sold out :( im going to keep checking though

Carry a small cooler and put ice in it. Even if the ice melts before you get there, it will still keep the insulin cooler longer than it would be otherwise. Another way: Get one of these small refreezable ice packs and wrap it around the insulin. The make these for ankle or foot with velcro strips to hold it on. Look in Walgreens or similar and see what they have in this area.

Since we will be over night I was wondering does the number 20 have good leg rests I am going to bring an extra pillow for both of us.

I am also planning on bring at least some food with us I am Diabetic so I am thinking that I should plan ahead .

Does anyone know if they would give me hotwater I have Diabetic drink that I drink in the morning and if the water isnt hot it does not mix well.

Is their plugs at the seat ?
Adding my 2 bits, I have not seen a report of an Amfleet I or II car without AC power outlets at the seats in some time. Think all the cars that are in service have been through the upgrade process for power outlets. There should be 2 AC outlet plugs on the wall by the window seat, so you should set with that.

The seats in the Amfleet II car, which is what you will be riding on, will have a lot of leg room and foot rests.

Adding my 2 bits, I have not seen a report of an Amfleet I or II car without AC power outlets at the seats in some time. Think all the cars that are in service have been through the upgrade process for power outlets. There should be 2 AC outlet plugs on the wall by the window seat, so you should set with that. Thanksgiving travel period. You never know what there using for equipment, and if everything works.

The seats in the Amfleet II car, which is what you will be riding on, will have a lot of leg room and foot rests. Original post was about leg rest, also I am 6'6" tall so your mileage may be different.

We normally always travel in a sleeper but they were sold out :( im going to keep checking though
Call up Amtrak and ask to be put on the waiting list for a sleeper. Depending on just how close to Thankgiving you're traveling you may not get a sleeper no matter what. But still, call and get on the waiting list. I would also keep checking daily myself anyhow, but better to have more chances to get a room.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back