Crescent dining

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have made first class travel into something ordinary.

Well, it isn't us--we are not officially connected with Amtrak in any way. This site is a group of train fans, and many of us are just as disappointed as you are. I loved the salmon as well. The one good thing is that, if you are leaving from Philly, you can at least get a good meal before the start of your trip (and of course a good one in New Orleans at the end).

I will be traveling from Philadelphia to New Orleans in a sleeper this March 2020. I made this same trip last year and decided to repeat because of the dining car service and menus. For my wife and I one of the highlights of the trip was being able to dine with strangers exchange ideas and converse. I am disappointed to learn that the menu has been converted to frozen dinners. Very Disappointed. Should we expect peanuts next. The steak and salmon were favorites for many.. You have made first class travel into something ordinary.

I hope you will post a report of your trip. We went from DC to New Orleans in May last year and enjoyed the steak entrée very much.

Absolutely will post a review of my trip... Complained to Amtrak as well... Maybe if they get enough negative feedback they'll make the necessary corrections

It may have the charm of a school cafeteria
but as for the food itself, my school cafeteria meals were better

This is the bottom line for me. The food provided currently on the Eastern trains is junk. I have had plenty of cheap hotel breakfast buffets which were much, much better. When Holiday Inn and Motel 6 are better, Amtrak is doing very very badly.

The cafe menu has been badly downgraded recently too. My go-to items were removed. When it comes to food, I now order NOTHING from Amtrak, because they provide NOTHING. Have to carry an extra food suitcase.

Thank you all for your thoughtful replies. Unfortunately, what you are writing is not good news and rather what I expected. Pity. I have made this trip on this date for the past three years and enjoyed it largely because of the dining car service and menus as tuxedo2549 wrote. To me, this is a big deal and I'll have to think about my alternatives.

Thank you all for your thoughtful replies. Unfortunately, what you are writing is not good news and rather what I expected. Pity. I have made this trip on this date for the past three years and enjoyed it largely because of the dining car service and menus as tuxedo2549 wrote. To me, this is a big deal and I'll have to think about my alternatives.

Other than the breakfast offerings, I’m fine with the new meals & service. You know, like most things, you’ll hear more complaints because people don’t tend to make “its ok with me” posts.

Sure, because I don’t eat salads [emoji57]. I’ve actually had them keep my salad once and I think the brownie.

I like the chicken Alfredo.

Did you like any of the deserts on the standard menu? Or you generally don’t eat desert?

I haven’t tried the chicken Alfredo but I think someone else said they liked it so maybe it’s the better of the choices.

Did you like any of the deserts on the standard menu? Or you generally don’t eat desert?

I haven’t tried the chicken Alfredo but I think someone else said they liked it so maybe it’s the better of the choices.

I like the chocolate cakes. Though after finishing the steak & potatoes I’m usually full. I have skipped lunch to allow more room at dessert. [emoji16]

The city pair I take most often, the only meal each way is breakfast. Even AmtrakBlue agrees that the breakfast is no good. Bring your own.

I had the Asian noodle thing. I am a big noodle fan and try to be vegetarian, so I was content. I don't remember anything about the salad. I had this when the contemporary meals were first introduced.

Ok well that might explain it... the vegetarian dishes on Amtrak’s full diner were usually fully pre-made and reheated like the current flex meals. I still would rather have the vegetarian burger from the diner over anything on the flex menu, but comparing the vegetarian pasta / noodle dishes to the new contemporary dining is less drastic than the salmon or steak.

Of course even then you had more options, the entree salads in the diner were usually pretty good.

Back