Crescent discussion 2023 Q4 - 2024

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m almost positive I know the answer but I’ll ask anyway to be sure.

From earlier msgs above in this thread it sounds as if the Crescent currently does NOT have a full sit down dining car. Just a lounge, which I assume includes the usual snack bar counter with drinks, nuckable “food” etc. Correct?

I’ll ride it next month btwn Clemson and Newark and I want to be prepared.

Thx.
Yes. If you are in Sleeper you get Flex Meal served out of the Lounge.

From earlier msgs above in this thread it sounds as if the Crescent currently does NOT have a full sit down dining car. Just a lounge, which I assume includes the usual snack bar counter with drinks, nuckable “food” etc. Correct?

Thx.
That is correct as of this date.

Thx.
As best I know you are correct.

Haven’t they been promising traditional dining back on the Crescent for a while now? Think it will ever happen?
I asked a SCA a few months ago about this and he stated it might be summer of 2024 on the Crescent. That is plenty of time to hire and train but that was likely just employee gossip back and forth. I wish it would come back. We have a Crescent>Cardinal>Crescent trip next summer already booked and decided to splurge on sleepers with our credit card points. It would be nice to have a cooked meal and not just a microwaved meal. More than that I miss the random meetings at the dining table. I am a strong introvert but have nice memories of the few times I have had a meal with or without a sleeper and meet interesting folks. Part of the fun of Amtrak. Having a diner with flex meals would be an improvement. A not great flex meal with meeting a stranger is better than a flex in a sleeper car.

I just booked my first-ever trip on the Crescent, as part of a round-trip PHL-LAX itinerary.

Heading from LAX-NOL-PHL for the return trip.

I'm going to have to find a room for the night in NOL, but the price difference between the Sunset -> Crescent itinerary and others was enough that I should be able to make it work with a reasonably-priced hotel.

Realizing that the layover is at night, I do hope to see a little of New Orleans: stroll the French Quarter a bit, get a bowl of gumbo, and breakfast at Cafe du Monde before leaving on the Crescent.

Hopefully the Sunset is on-time into New Orleans. We'll see.

I've heard that the Crescent is so-so on scenery and amenities, but I am in the 12 car so I'll get to experience a Viewliner II for the first time. I'm definitely excited about that.

I'd also love a return of Traditional Dining but I'm not holding my breath. Worst case, by the end of the trip, I'm usually more amenable to just eating in my room anyway!

New Orleans French quarter never sleeps.Yes to beignets at cafe du monde. Although we live close- I have not been since Covid shut us down. Enjoy your trip.
So 2024 for diner on Crescent- I do agree just a decent flex meal and conversation in diner I would enjoy. Last I checked Crescent sleeper going from NO to Newark was over 1200 one way. That is ridiculous.Roomettes cheaper but they make me claustrophobic. Oh well

Does anyone know the “sweet spot “ for roomette pricing from NOL-NYP? I have a price of 499- should I grab it? It’s for April so I do have some time but don’t want to gamble too much.

Can yo
Does anyone know the “sweet spot “ for roomette pricing from NOL-NYP? I have a price of 499- should I grab it? It’s for April so I do have some time but don’t want to gamble too much.
Can you afford it now? Is saving $100 really going to make a difference in your life versus the peace of mind you get by having what you want now.

Wife and I are taking a trip late June 2024 and it is a trip I have wanted to do for decades. And I wanted to go in a sleeper for all 5 segments. Crescent to Cardinal and back with a stop on the Cardinal. I have already booked. I might have saved some points and a bit of cash but I know I have the rooms now. Now I get the fun of thinking about the trip and knowing everything is done from Amtrak, the hotel, car rental. I will not say that is priceless and I clearly have a budget but it is nice to know it is done.

Also my wife is not as a big of a fan of Amtrak, and she enjoys it knowing I enjoy it. She did really enjoy our last trips in a sleeper and making her happy with a sleeper versus a coach seat is a nice thing as well. That is done now.

Not much of a gamble. If the fare drops, you can request a refund. If the train fills up, the fare won't drop.

Not much of a gamble. If the fare drops, you can request a refund. If the train fills up, the fare won't drop.
They give refunds if that happens. I guess I could cancel and re-book but could you loose your room in those few seconds of all the keystrokes of canceling and then rebooking or do they lock the room from other getting access while they are working with you.

They give refunds if that happens. I guess I could cancel and re-book but could you loose your room in those few seconds of all the keystrokes of canceling and then rebooking or do they lock the room from other getting access while they are working with you.
No, if you cancel, you will pay a penalty. You must call Amtrak and request a refund for the fare difference, without rebooking.

I'm on the 20 heading back to Philly and annoyed like I was the last time I was on the 20 departing on a Sunday: why does Amtrak ban liquor sales the entire day, when, as far as I can tell, only Mississippi has a "no booze on Sundays" blue law on the books?

I'm on the 20 heading back to Philly and annoyed like I was the last time I was on the 20 departing on a Sunday: why does Amtrak ban liquor sales the entire day, when, as far as I can tell, only Mississippi has a "no booze on Sundays" blue law on the books?
I don't drink, well hardly ever, so I don't keep up with this but your post made me look into this and I found this from the Greensboro TV station from a few weeks ago.

GREENSBORO, N.C. — North Carolina is one of six states in the nation that doesn't sell hard liquor on Sunday. Because of this, under current law, ABC stores aren't open on Sundays and various holidays.

---
I think I knew ABC stores were closed but I thought food establishments could sell.

No, if you cancel, you will pay a penalty. You must call Amtrak and request a refund for the fare difference, without rebooking.
But I can call them up and get a refund? Nice to know.

Last edited:
This train is oddly run...we got the microwave dinners, no real kitchen, but they're not taking any reservations so I have no idea when dinner is arriving. I thought they took reservations so the single oven didn't get overwhelmed but they're just doing everything willy-nilly, with three sleeper cars that appear to be somewhat full.

All three sleepers are the older models (I am not as big a railfan as the average poster here so I don't know the technical name for the old models that are being phased out, the ones with the toilets in every roomette.) I will not miss the sinks that look like this with the impossible to control water pressure:

IMG_20231105_171140_630.jpg

Also: two days ago I was randomly moved from a roomette to bedroom H, the accessible bedroom--and I do not need an accessible bedroom nor had I asked for a change. I called Amtrak and was like, is this legit? And they were like, yes, it was, though they were also baffled why I was put in H. The explanation the rep eventually got was that there was some sort of crew need for a roomette, so they put me in the empty bedroom, if I understood what I was being told correctly. I have never gotten a free upgrade before, not sure how they singled me out for the honor.

Also: two days ago I was randomly moved from a roomette to bedroom H, the accessible bedroom--and I do not need an accessible bedroom nor had I asked for a change. I called Amtrak and was like, is this legit? And they were like, yes, it was, though they were also baffled why I was put in H. The explanation the rep eventually got was that there was some sort of crew need for a roomette, so they put me in the empty bedroom, if I understood what I was being told correctly. I have never gotten a free upgrade before, not sure how they singled me out for the honor.
Is this a complaint or a moment of happiness? Think of it as a bid-up where you bid $0 and did not even know you bid? Sounds like a win. It is odd they did not know about crew needs until now. What was the old room number? Maybe the crew room had a needed repair and you were at the end of the car so you were the first to be moved.

Many years ago (on my honeymoon just before Viewliners like you are on come online) we had an upgrade and was told it was due to something wrong with our roomette. I like to think we might have been singled out for an open bedroom and Amtrak knew we were on our honeymoon. I doubt that was the reason, but I like to think that all these years later.

I’m booked on 20 this Friday from Clemson to Newark, return on Friday Nov 17 on 19. I’m in a roomette both ways, which I’m satisfied with. I just got a bid up email. I know what it is but I’ve never used it so I have no feel at all what’s a reasonable bid for a bedroom. I’ve checked the “retail” rate Amtrak is asking right now for bedrooms on my trains on these dates and it’s no wonder they haven’t sold the bedrooms yet! I don’t want to buy the train, I just want to ride it! Would I be wasting my time completely to bid a minimum amount like $100 or so? I should add I’ve ridden all,over the western US in bedrooms and I’m aware of the advantages. I’m just not sure I really need to pamper myself on this trip. I’m spending enough as it is on the things I’m going to NYC to do!

I’m booked on 20 this Friday from Clemson to Newark, return on Friday Nov 17 on 19. I’m in a roomette both ways, which I’m satisfied with. I just got a bid up email. I know what it is but I’ve never used it so I have no feel at all what’s a reasonable bid for a bedroom. I’ve checked the “retail” rate Amtrak is asking right now for bedrooms on my trains on these dates and it’s no wonder they haven’t sold the bedrooms yet! I don’t want to buy the train, I just want to ride it! Would I be wasting my time completely to bid a minimum amount like $100 or so? I should add I’ve ridden all,over the western US in bedrooms and I’m aware of the advantages. I’m just not sure I really need to pamper myself on this trip. I’m spending enough as it is on the things I’m going to NYC to do!
Only you can decide if $100 is money you have to spend and want to spend it this way but I would at least put in the minimum bid and if you get it then go away with the feeling you pulled one off on Amtrak. That would be a pretty good deal if you get it.

The bedroom would give you a shower and you could take a shower after Philly and that might save some time in NYC if your plans are to immediately hit the town on arrival and check-in to a hotel. That might be worth a bit of money in that if the Crescent is late into NYP.

You are gonna love the H bedroom. So much room. I appreciated the bathroom
Yeah this was the first Amtrak shower I've ever taken that was the approximate size of a normal shower. Only drawback is you have to move everything out of the bathroom so it doesn't get soaked.

My already booked trip on the Crescent for June 2024 has a changed agenda. Boarding at Greensboro is the same but Charlottesville is 5 minutes earlier. Then they apologize. They should just say "Enjoy the 5 extra minutes in the city."

-----
We wanted to let you know that there has been a schedule change for your trip.

Your updated itinerary:

You're now scheduled to depart on train #0020, the Crescent, from Greensboro, North Carolina on Saturday, June 22nd at 7:29am and arrive in Charlottesville, Virginia on Saturday, June 22nd at 10:54am.

We're sorry for the inconvenience. Thanks for being a valued Amtrak customer - we'll see you onboard.

Back