Crescent discussion 2023 Q4 - 2024

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a coach car that is heavily graffitied that has been set out on the siding at the Atlanta (Brookwood) station. First time in many years I have seen them set out a car in Atlanta. For that matter, I have never seen an Amtrak car so heavily graffitied. Sorry I don't have a pic.

For whatever reason CSX has not blocked Howell SAT & SUN last couple days. 19 & 20 for both 13th & 14 made t it thru in about 6 minutes. No more crossing until Friday morning with Crescent cancelled M - TH south of Atlanta.

I am planning a MIA-NYP, NYP-NOL-SAS-DAL trip the first part of April.
I have to fly DFW-MIA, but one must make sacrifices now and then.
Can one specify a VL II sleeper, or is it just the luck of the draw?
How is the Crescent nowadays? VL I or II?
What's the normal consist?
And the number 1 question, FLEX or real food?
Otherwise I'll just do the LSL, CONO and Sunset/Eagle. I just need to know how to stock my cooler.

I am planning a MIA-NYP, NYP-NOL-SAS-DAL trip the first part of April.
I have to fly DFW-MIA, but one must make sacrifices now and then.
Can one specify a VL II sleeper, or is it just the luck of the draw?
How is the Crescent nowadays? VL I or II?
What's the normal consist?
And the number 1 question, FLEX or real food?
Otherwise I'll just do the LSL, CONO and Sunset/Eagle. I just need to know how to stock my cooler.
Food-wise... as of today

MIA - NYP Traditional
NYP - NOL Flex
NOL - SAS Traditional
SAS - DAL Flex

I’m on the 20 that left New Orleans yesterday. It’s running 4 hours late due to a freight derailment. North of Lynchburg they announced free Domino’s pizza and refreshments for everyone and apologized again for the delay. I thought that was a nice touch.

Now if only the toilet in my VI roomette wasn’t so stinky… :/

I’m on the 20 that left New Orleans yesterday. It’s running 4 hours late due to a freight derailment. North of Lynchburg they announced free Domino’s pizza and refreshments for everyone and apologized again for the delay. I thought that was a nice touch.

Now if only the toilet in my VI roomette wasn’t so stinky… :/
I was going to volunteer station host this morning at Greensboro. When I noticed it was 4 hours late I decided to sleep in just a bit more and arrive in time for the first Piedmont of the day and then the Carolinian.

I boarded in Greensboro! First time visiting. Really nice town you got there!

I visited the Civil Rights museum yesterday and saw the segregated schematic of the train station. Was interesting to see that in person today.
The DMV used the colored waiting room for license renewal until a few months ago. I wish they would put a restaurant in that location or use it as a waiting room. That might happen some day as more trains happen in Greensboro. What I would really like is an unstaffed lounge for business class and sleeper car passengers.

As a public employee thanks for spending money in my city and glad you were able to visit the Civil Rights Museum. It is very sobering.

Come on back and visit often. We have a lot more history to offer.

Someone on this board has a spreadsheet of railcams. His list only includes certain criteria. I think one thing he looks for is the ability to rewind the railcam for 12 hours at minimum. I know of two railcams that are on the Crescent route that are not on that person's list due to not meeting all of his criteria.

Spartanburg, SC has a railcam, I think at the station. https://hubcityrrmuseum.org/virtual-railfan-live
Thomasville, NC is not a stop but there is a railcam there as well. https://visitthomasvillenc.com/train-camera

Both of these have a north and south view in operation at the same time.

Someone on this board has a spreadsheet of railcams. His list only includes certain criteria. I think one thing he looks for is the ability to rewind the railcam for 12 hours at minimum. I know of two railcams that are on the Crescent route that are not on that person's list due to not meeting all of his criteria.

Spartanburg, SC has a railcam, I think at the station. https://hubcityrrmuseum.org/virtual-railfan-live
Thomasville, NC is not a stop but there is a railcam there as well. https://visitthomasvillenc.com/train-camera

Both of these have a north and south view in operation at the same time.
The Virtual Railfan feed of Spartanburg is on the list:

Crescent #20 / 10 April cancelled from NOL - all way to NYP. Looking for information. Anyone know if 19 arrived at NOL on April 09,,2024?

Yes 19 did arrive on the 9th about 40 mins or so late.

about 20(10) from Amtrak:
UPDATE: As of 12:35 pm CT, Due to ongoing inclement weather conditions in the area, Train 20 is canceled. Alternate transportation will not be provided. For more information, please call or text 1-800-USA-RAIL.

Lots Tornadoes and straight line wind and stuff this morning in Louisiana

Last edited:
Not at a station but RailFan has a camera at Austell, GA and that will show Crescent when it trundles through.

Back