Crescent in Atlanta yesterday

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cassie225

Lead Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
Anybody know how the Crescent did in Atlanta yesterday and the days before when ATL was such a mess. I will be leaving in the morning from NOL on the Crescent to Newark and am kinda jumpy with all this bad snowy weather going on. Any reports of problems. Thanks

The Crescent did fine. I believe one of the southbounds was 2 hours late, but the northbounds were all reported as leaving on time.

The Crescent did fine. I believe one of the southbounds was 2 hours late, but the northbounds were all reported as leaving on time.
Thanks for the update. I see you're East of Atlanta-you did ok? Being 2 hours late is ok considering some people were stuck on the Interstate for long hours.My barber was stuck in Chicago an extra day trying to get back to NOL.

Yes, I did fine, thanks for asking. We got 2 inches of snow even, and fortunately I was able to stay home, I got the call from my college campus 30 seconds after leaving.

I forgot to add this earlier, but part of the reason the Crescent has been able to leave on-time is that on Mondays through Thursdays, the Southbound terminates, and the Northbound Crescent originates in Atlanta. I'd watch Friday, Saturday and Sunday's Crescents to get a better idea of how they will do.

Thanks for the update. I see you're East of Atlanta-you did ok? Being 2 hours late is ok considering some people were stuck on the Interstate for long hours.My barber was stuck in Chicago an extra day trying to get back to NOL.
That's an understatement. My son got smart, took MARTA home after driving to Lindburgh station, the MARTA up to North Springs, walked 45 minutes to a street then 3 hours to get home for a total of 5 1/2 hours. His coworker drove home and arrived at 3:30AM after 13 1/2 hours. A drive home in Atlanta was worse than the EB!

That's an understatement. My son got smart, took MARTA home after driving to Lindburgh station, the MARTA up to North Springs, walked 45 minutes to a street then 3 hours to get home for a total of 5 1/2 hours. His coworker drove home and arrived at 3:30AM after 13 1/2 hours. A drive home in Atlanta was worse than the EB!
13 1/2 hours WOW!!!

Mondays through Thursdays, the Southbound terminates, and the Northbound Crescent originates in Atlanta. I'd watch Friday, Saturday and Sunday's Crescents to get a better idea of how they will do.
Is this something new?

Yes, I did fine, thanks for asking. We got 2 inches of snow even, and fortunately I was able to stay home, I got the call from my college campus 30 seconds after leaving.

I forgot to add this earlier, but part of the reason the Crescent has been able to leave on-time is that on Mondays through Thursdays, the Southbound terminates, and the Northbound Crescent originates in Atlanta. I'd watch Friday, Saturday and Sunday's Crescents to get a better idea of how they will do.
Matt, you were fortunate not having to drive on the highways in Atlanta. I saw on TV the

terrible congestion on the highways. Looked a bit like the NJ-NY area during rush hours

and also I-4 in Orlando when the Disney parks close.

They don't really shut down. Ns just holds trains on the single track sections and runs them through as work crews move up and down the line. They just want Amtrak's slots to get the intermodal trains through. I've seen this year after year. Trains run as normal with 2-3 hour delays. Amtrak could get through but Amtrak and NS agree to cancel Monday - Thursday rather than run the crescent 2-3 hours late. I live and work next to the tracks in Tuscaloosa abd trust me, the freight gets through although a bit late. On Friday through Sunday Amtrak just fights the slow orders from untamped track and other work related slow orders. 20 was only 6 mins late out of Tuscaloosa today. Trust me once they hit the corridor any lateness will be made up by NYP.

Crescent is running on time. I'm on it now.why didn't y'all tell me it's mighty dark on this train at night. We in the boonies just outside Atl. Loving the journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back