Crescent to City of New Orleans booking?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amtrak George

Lead Service Attendant
I am looking at a possible scenario of Memphis to the New England area, winding up in Boston for the beginning of the return trip. I would leave Boston for New York in the morning to connect to the Crescent to New Orleans, thence City of New Orleans back to Memphis. What are the chances of booking an AGR trip that includes the New Orleans connection (overnight at my own expense of course)? If this booking is possible, would I likely have to ask for a supervisor?

According to Amtrak, the only route allowed would be via LSL to Chicago and then CONO to Memphis.

It would allow a 2 zone trip BOS to NOL trip via Regional and Crescent. You could then book a separate paid trip NOL to Memphis on the CONO.

You can always call AGR and see what the agent says, but if it is not on the screen, it is unlikely they would book it.

Assuming you are taking a sleeper in a roomette..

Another option is to book a 1 zone BOS to ATL and another 1 zone ATL to Memphis. They will allow that second connection via New Orleans overnight. Since a BOS to Memphis would be a 2 zone award anyway, it would cost an additional 10,000 points (20,000 vs 30,000)

If you are traveling in coach, the one zone 5500 x 2 = 11,000 pts vs 2 zone 8,000 trip would mean a difference of 3,000 pts.

Thus, the trip could be booked but would cost you more points by doing two 1 zone trips.

Back