Crescent Trip To NJ

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cassie225

Lead Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
Okay, Im back again to posting. I have been reading all the posts just not posting.. Sleeper prices are really high now,since I have not rode in one since 2015. I did take a short trip to Jackson.Ms but since that is only four hours away for me ,I rode coach and it was great as always. I will be traveling in May and asked the person booking if the H room was not booked when it was time for me to go within a week could I book it. She said no,that they had to keep it open for the disabled. Last time since it was not booked I was able to book it a week before I left on my trip. Has policy changed.Will I get full meals on the Crescent or will they eliminate them for lite dining. Thats not good. Also I know the new Viewliner sleepers won't be in service,but I was kinda hoping they would. Looking forward to the peace and quiet of this trip,although the last time in the H room coming back to NO,it was a rocky ride. Any changes I should be aware of this time. Thanks in advance to all of you. I did use Amsnag and got some deals a bit cheaper,but not like before.

Cannot answer your question on booking the room, and you're right that the H room will be less comfortable since it's right over the wheels,

I can tell you that the Crescent has full dining service.

The sleepers on the Crescent are Viewliner I sleepers, did you mean Viewliner diners? They MAY be in service by the summer.

The H room is held back until the last week or so for special needs booking, unless both sleepers sell out. They are training now for the new Viewliner Diners, so it is conceivable one might be on your consist. The Crescent has a full Diner services plus a separate Lounge Car. The Viewliner H room is over the wheels at the entrance to the car. The opposite end has the SCA room with the shower across from his room.

Consider two roomettes in lieu of a bedroom. Quite often the combined price beats a BR hands down. No shower but you each get a lower bunk & private toilet and the shower is down the hall. Never had to wait to use it except when waiting on the boss.

Cannot answer your question on booking the room, and you're right that the H room will be less comfortable since it's right over the wheels,

I can tell you that the Crescent has full dining service.

The sleepers on the Crescent are Viewliner I sleepers, did you mean Viewliner diners? They MAY be in service by the summer.
yay,Viewliner diners. I like the food on the Crescent. Np complaints

The H room is held back until the last week or so for special needs booking, unless both sleepers sell out. They are training now for the new Viewliner Diners, so it is conceivable one might be on your consist. The Crescent has a full Diner services plus a separate Lounge Car. The Viewliner H room is over the wheels at the entrance to the car. The opposite end has the SCA room with the shower across from his room.
I hope so.. New Diner

Consider two roomettes in lieu of a bedroom. Quite often the combined price beats a BR hands down. No shower but you each get a lower bunk & private toilet and the shower is down the hall. Never had to wait to use it except when waiting on the boss.
Always pass by the roomettes and think I would get that closed in feeling. Can I still bring a little alcohol on board.Last time I was able to watch Hulu almost the whole trip.

If you're going to be glued to your PDA for most of the trip, how could you possibly get that closed-in feeling? :p

I enjoy viewing our country passing by my window day and night, even though I may have seen it dozens of previous trips. In the privacy of your room, such is permitted. Again, I highly recommend sitting back to watch out your 6 foot window, roomette or bedroom. I listen to music with my Bose noise cancelling ear buds, never feeling the size of the room, even when someone is traveling with me, Try watching the moon lighting the trees and the buildings, it is a totally new view, a beautiful one. This country, every state, is beautiful.

I do a variety of things,including waking up sometimes when the train stops in the night as just looking out the window. I will watch movies,read,listen to music. Sometimes I can catch a card game down in the lounge car,although the last time it was kinda rowdy after the Atlanta pickup.At night seems like that is when the ride gets extremely bumpy and we are about to leave the tracks.lol But after breakfast I am up looking at the sights as this seems like that is when the sights are beautiful. I hate those tunnels!!! Always praying as we go thru. But once we hook up to the locomotive in Washington, it seems they put the pedal to the metal,no more chugging along.

Most important is that you enjoy your trip. Leaving WAS, the Crescent is on the NEC so they are no longer restricted to 79MPH and can go high speed, limited only by the safety limit established for the cars on the train and the capability of the engine.

Back