Cross-country: NYC to San Francisco one-way

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rkw

Train Attendant
I'm new to this forum, so hi everyone. I'm also new to Amtrak. I've decided that I just can't live in NYC anymore, so I'm moving back to San Francisco. I'm already reading through the first-time rider forum, so I'm sure I'll pick up some great tips there.

When I lived abroad I got used to train travel. However, I'm also a freelancer, so I'm going to need a set amount of time online and plugged in. I've already done that research.

I'm going to probably rent a mobile Internet card from Verizon or Sprint as they've got better coverage nationwide. My phone is also a wifi hotspot, but I have T-Mo, so I know I'm going to hit quite a few dead spots if I rely on that. I also know that plugs can be an issue on the long-haul route I'll be on, so I'm probably going to bring a reserve power source. I just see no reason for a cabin as I'll do my trip in parts: NYC to D.C. then lay over for a day or two and then D.C. to Chicago, same there. The stretch where I'll really need coverage? Chicago to California. I'm also considering a stop in Denver simply because I've never been there and why not?

I don't even know what to ask. I'll bring two bags and mail the rest of my stuff before I go. I'm thinking of a pass, but I called Amtrak today and the rep I spoke to said I might just be better off buying a multistop ticket. We'll see.

Any advice would be great. I figure folks here know what to expect. I don't, so help and thanks.

RKW,

I was on the California Zephyr from Sacramento to Galesburg, IL, a couple of weeks ago. Internet coverage from Sprint was not consistent, but I had reasonable signal strength when passing through major cities and towns, and during the stretches that the train parallels Interstate 80. I was able to check email, post pics to Facebook, and read this board, but I wouldn't have been able to count on the connection for much more than that.

In my travels between the east coast and Chicago in previous years, I had similar experiences. If you take the Cardinal, you'll find that there's no signal for most of WV. And if you take the Empire Builder, Sprint has no signal in most of ND and MT, although Verizon users seemed to have better luck.

As to equipment, a MiFi card, an Overdrive hotspot, or whatever they'll be selling by the time of your trip, should be fine. You might want to get a portable battery like the Zagg Sparq. AC outlets are standard in sleepers, but not always available in coach, depending on how old the car is that you'll be riding in.

If you need to connect for a few minutes here and there, you'll be fine. But if you need to be online for several hours at a time, then breaking up the trip might be a good idea. Either way, don't miss the scenery! Relax and have a good time. The experience is very different that what you may be used to in the Northeast. Take advantage of the luxury of not flying. Have a great time!

Sounds like a great trip. Enjoy!

My recent experience is this: I went from Boston to my daughter's place in Northern California a couple of months ago, both ways on Amtrak. Some in coach from Boston to Chicago, then mostly in sleepers from Chicago to the West Coast.

I brought along a laptop including a Verizon cell-phone tethering system. I also planned to spend as much productive time as possible editing audio (with headphones) for a studio recording project underway here at home.

Wrong. I was never able to get into editing mode because the trip is just too interesting at every minute. I had been through the Rockies 3 times before on the Zephyr - but I still could not take myself away from the windows the whole time passing through the mountains.

So good luck working en route. And I had very good connectivity with Verizon, although did not take advantage other than checking email and train status reports.

Best to you on your move.

If you have a way to get your bags to the station, I believe that you would be able to check more than 2 bags on your trip ... might save you some money on shipping ... and then you can still carry some on.

I'm new to this forum, so hi everyone. I'm also new to Amtrak. I've decided that I just can't live in NYC anymore, so I'm moving back to San Francisco. I'm already reading through the first-time rider forum, so I'm sure I'll pick up some great tips there.

When I lived abroad I got used to train travel.
RKW,

Welcome to Amtrak Unlimited!! I hope you have a good trip from NYP to SFC.

I noted your comment that you could not stand New York and that you were returning to San Francisco.

In January, my daughter was transferred from New York to San Francisco. She feels opposite of your

comment. She much prefers New York over San Francisco!! Different strokes to different folks!!

She grew up abroad too and also worked in London last summer.

I hope you have a good trip on Amtrak and enjoy being back in your favorite San Francisco.

Hi rkw,

It looks like you have done your homework. My best advise is to go with the flow. Expect the worst, hope for the best, settle for something inbetween. Don't allow the crew to cop an attitude, and take names if necessary. Hopefully, you won't have to.

Depending on how you want to break up your ride - and seeing that you don't want to pay for a sleeping car - I think I would price it all out ala carte, then look at the rail pass and see if it is a better deal.

If you travel heavy, breaking up the trip may be an inconvenience. There is not really a good way to store big luggage at large stations. When I went to Japan a few years back, I actually sent my big bags via parcel service to my parents house then took our carryons with us on the train. My bags got to my folks place the day after we did for only about $60. Not a bad price to keep our travel weight light. I don't know if that is much of an option here in the US, though.

I hope you enjoy your trip. You will experience some of the best and some of the worst scenery this country has to offer.

:hi: Welcome to the Best forum on the net! As to NYC vs. SFO, both are great places to visit, wonderful to live there if you're Rich! :lol: (Different strokes for different folks!)

Your plan to break up the trip is a good one, and there are great hostels to stay in, Chicago has an especially good one, Google up hostelsinternational for info! :wub: (will save you $$ and they are fun!!)

Im a real novice in the Hi-Tech Gadget field so will leave tthat advice to others but my Sprint phone wasnt much good out on the praries and in the mountains as others have said!

As to the trip, good idea to compare the Rail Pass vs. a la carte prcing, Rail Passes are sold in 15 day/8 segments for $389/30 days/12segments for $500+/45 days/18 segments for 700+

(you can look it up on amtrak.com) Rooms in the Sleeping Cars are very pricey right now, most Trains are full, but if you use amtrak.com or amsnag (which is the creation of one of our members, Paul M.), you can check out what it costs for the various trains/routes you want to ride! On amtrak.com you can get discounts if youre a member of AAA/Student/Military/Senior (doesnt apply to you yet! :lol: )on the coach fare but the rail Passes and Sleepers are full price! The prices will vary as to day/route, this is called a Bucket system, so if you are flexible in your dates you can save some $$!

The Western Trains (say the California Zephyr) from Chicago to the West Coast are two day/2 night trips so if you can afford a Sleeping Car for at least one night those are the Trains to look at. (remember the Sleeping Car includes Meals in the Diner and entitles you to the lowest Railfare price, called Low Bucket! Also if a friend goes with you it covers them also, they only have to pay the rail fare!)

Please read everything you can on here, lots of great info ,(some of it is even true! :lol: )

and don't hesitate to ask questions! Good luck with your plans and trip, we like to say a Long Distance Train trip is not just a trip, it's an Adventure! :) :) :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi and welcome. You'll find some really nice folks here and lots of good advice. They've been very good at answering my questions. One thing I found helpful when I joined here not long ago was to scan each of the boards in this forum.

I used to visit NYC on long weekends when I lived in Hartford. 'course it was cheaper then, back in the 1970's.

I even had a book "New York on $45 a Day".......these days it'd probably be New York on $450 a day? :)

Again ~ welcome. :D

Welcome.

Last year I traveled cross country from Florida to Seattle and back with a prepaid verizon broadband usb for my netbook and I had pretty good coverage.

This year, I am also going cross country using a different route to get to Seattle. My netbook "died" and now I have a tablet. I am planning to purchase a verizon Mifi Hotspot to use with prepaid broadband. I have found them at Best Buy for $150 and the local Verizon store can order one for me at the same price. They are less than half the price on Amazon. Some of the reviews on Amazon are not so great, so right now I am leaning toward a brick and mortar store, but I am also pretty thrifty, so who knows what I will do.

BTW - the first time I took a multi-night Amtrak trip, I brought 7 books and 5 DVDs only to return with only one book read and one movie viewed. The "movie" outside your window is much better than anything you can buy, rent or stream.

Enjoy your trip.

Thanks for all of the replies! This is a very helpful community.

If you need to connect for a few minutes here and there, you'll be fine. But if you need to be online for several hours at a time, then breaking up the trip might be a good idea. Either way, don't miss the scenery! Relax and have a good time. The experience is very different that what you may be used to in the Northeast. Take advantage of the luxury of not flying. Have a great time!
I'll relax but I'm a telecommuter and a sole proprietor. That means I have to get my job done, which is why I'll go through the trouble and expense of renting a backup Internet source to make sure I can get on the net. I just know the one thing I can't beat is a lack of infrastructure. It sounds like Verizon people have gotten the best coverage out in the middle of nowhere, so I'll choose to rent a Verizon unit.

Wrong. I was never able to get into editing mode because the trip is just too interesting at every minute. I had been through the Rockies 3 times before on the Zephyr - but I still could not take myself away from the windows the whole time passing through the mountains.
So good luck working en route. And I had very good connectivity with Verizon, although did not take advantage other than checking email and train status reports.

Best to you on your move.
Thanks!

As I said, I have to get my job done, so I'll look up and admire the scenery, but I'm also going to have to dig in and get work done.

If you have a way to get your bags to the station, I believe that you would be able to check more than 2 bags on your trip ... might save you some money on shipping ... and then you can still carry some on.
Yeah, but the last thing I want to do is arrive in San Francisco or Emeryville and then have to drag a bunch of carry-on bags and checked bags. I'd rather ship those ahead of me and have them arrive when they arrive. I did that when I moved back from living abroad complete with carrying my medical supplies, I'm an insulin pump wearing diabetic, AND my 19 year old geriatric cat. I really want it to be a pleasant trip. I plan on sending things back the cheapest way possible - ground with the least expensive company I can find. I didn't buy that much when I lived here, so I hope I can have no more than a few boxes of clothes, medical supplies and some documents to ship back.

RKW,

Welcome to Amtrak Unlimited!! I hope you have a good trip from NYP to SFC.

I noted your comment that you could not stand New York and that you were returning to San Francisco.

In January, my daughter was transferred from New York to San Francisco. She feels opposite of your

comment. She much prefers New York over San Francisco!! Different strokes to different folks!!

She grew up abroad too and also worked in London last summer.

I hope you have a good trip on Amtrak and enjoy being back in your favorite San Francisco.
Hi and thanks!

Yeah, but your sidebar says you're from New Jersey, so if she thinks of this area as home, that makes all the difference.

I think of San Francisco as home. My friends are there and it's just a beautiful place.

... My best advise is to go with the flow. Expect the worst, hope for the best, settle for something inbetween. Don't allow the crew to cop an attitude, and take names if necessary. Hopefully, you won't have to.

Depending on how you want to break up your ride - and seeing that you don't want to pay for a sleeping car - I think I would price it all out ala carte, then look at the rail pass and see if it is a better deal.

I hope you enjoy your trip. You will experience some of the best and some of the worst scenery this country has to offer.
Yeah, with all the traveling I've done, I've learned to go with the flow. It would just be unprofessional not to research what it's going to take for me to have a fairly reliable Internet connection and power source since I'm billing people and expecting them to pay me. ;)

Honestly, right now some sleeping cars are sold out. I just don't want to pay a lot. Although that is a question regarding the longer trips. I know there are restrooms and showers in the cars. Of course, they let people traveling long distances shower or is that a benefit only for the people in sleepers? That could get, um, fragrant.

Welcome to the Best forum on the net! As to NYC vs. SFO, both are great places to visit, wonderful to live there if you're Rich! (Different strokes for different folks!)

Your plan to break up the trip is a good one, and there are great hostels to stay in, Chicago has an especially good one, Google up hostelsinternational for info! (will save you $ and they are fun!!)
Thanks!

If I go to Chicago, I have friends I'd stay with. They've already extended the invite. In Denver and D.C., I'd have to find accommodation if I decide to go there. I think I might take a cruise ship approach and take a morning train in, play tourist during the day and maybe (depending on the schedules) take an evening train out. I might have an issue storing my bags though. We'll see. However, for the sake of my sanity and to just take it easy, it might be worth it to book one night in each of those cities somewhere.

I'll definitely look at the amsnag site too. Thanks for that tip.

Hi and welcome.
Thanks. I have a college buddy who lives near Hartford now. I believe when he comes to the city he actually drives to New Haven and then hops on the MTA from there.

The "movie" outside your window is much better than anything you can buy, rent or stream.

Enjoy your trip.
I won't be buying. I'll rent it from Rovair or a competitor. However, I've heard good things about them from another forum (another long trip, but by car.) When I called, I got a really helpful rep, so they're in a good spot right now.

I won't neglect the scenery. My concerns about a connection are for work. My hopes is to get most of my work done in the cities and metro areas and then enjoy the view when I can.

Anyone interested in a verizon mifi should check this out

I do NOT know the seller, etc etc, but if you buy one and are satisfies, you owe me a beer :hi:

Thanks!
If I go to Chicago, I have friends I'd stay with. They've already extended the invite. In Denver and D.C., I'd have to find accommodation if I decide to go there. I think I might take a cruise ship approach and take a morning train in, play tourist during the day and maybe (depending on the schedules) take an evening train out. I might have an issue storing my bags though. We'll see. However, for the sake of my sanity and to just take it easy, it might be worth it to book one night in each of those cities somewhere.
That won't work in Denver, because the only train passing through is daily.

In DC, the latest train to CHI leaves at 4:05 PM.

If you don't have anywhere to stay in DC and are interested in doing things on the cheap, you can go directly from New York to Chicago on the Lake Shore Limited.

Anyone interested in a verizon mifi should check this out

I do NOT know the seller, etc etc, but if you buy one and are satisfies, you owe me a beer :hi:

Good find, and thank you! However, that would mean I'd have to buy the equipment and then prepay with Verizon for service. Right now, it's cheaper to rent a USB device and go. Since my phone IS a wifi hotspot, I don't need another one permanently. It's just T-Mo has horrible coverage in the middle of the country, so, for that, I need a back up. However, in any metro or even suburban area, what I already have should work just fine. ;)

That won't work in Denver, because the only train passing through is daily.

In DC, the latest train to CHI leaves at 4:05 PM.

I'm thinking as I write, but that's for the advice. I finally got myself on the amsnag site and I like how it's laid out. I can get a clear picture of the connections. Denver is out because it never shows up on any of those. I threw it in because it's west and I've never been there. It's really not a city I HAVE to visit.

If you don't have anywhere to stay in DC and are interested in doing things on the cheap, you can go directly from New York to Chicago on the Lake Shore Limited.
Yeah, I noticed that when I was looking at routes on amsnag. However, I really want to visit D.C. because I've never been. It's best to take a day or so there on the way out or I'm going to have to pick another time to take a trip there. This isn't a backpacker level trip. I can afford a room. I'm just frugal and want to get the best value for my money. If I can squeeze in a D.C. trip before I go (doubtful), I'd consider the direct train to Chicago, but I want to visit D.C.

If you are just working on the computer, you will be ok in coach. But if your work involves multiple phone calls per day such as a telemarker would do, then you need to consider sleepers. You will have more privacy and won't disturb the other passengers.

I don't mean any disrespect. I just want you to have a pleasant trip. Don't forget that meals are included in first class.

If you are just working on the computer, you will be ok in coach. But if your work involves multiple phone calls per day such as a telemarker would do, then you need to consider sleepers. You will have more privacy and won't disturb the other passengers.
Wait just a minute! Sleeping car compartments are not sound proof. I don't think sleeper passengers would appreciated a telemarketer any more than coach passengers.

Wait just a minute! Sleeping car compartments are not sound proof. I don't think sleeper passengers would appreciated a telemarketer any more than coach passengers.
It's still better than having the entire coach car hear the conversation.

Besides, unless rkw screams over the phone, I doubt that passengers in adjacent compartments will hear much.

Oh, gross. I just called Amtrak and, it's not news to you folks, but you can't take a shower on the long-haul trips unless you have a room. Hmmmm, maybe I'll just go from NYC to D.C. to Chicago. I might also just suck it up and pay for a roomette. But yuck.

That's a bad policy. I can see why they might have it, but ewwwwww.

I don't mean any disrespect. I just want you to have a pleasant trip. Don't forget that meals are included in first class.

No offense taken, but I'm not a telemarketer. Ewwww. (no offense to anyone who might be; the "ewwww" is just that I'm not tuned for it. I HATE talking on the phone, ever.)

However, if they had first-class seats, I'd pay up. I'm just not seeing a reason to get a sleeper. I'd fly and just rent a great hotel room for the prices they're charging to get from Chicago to Cali.

I had bad luck with T-Mobile on the California Zephyr. The only time I had service was near cities. I think if you want to work consistently you probably will have to get a Verizon USB thing or a phone and tether it or mi-fi from it. I switched to AT&T for the next trip and it wasn't much better. Verizon is the only service that seems to be more consistently available.

Hope you enjoy Amtrak! I love the freedom of walking around the train, the friendly staff, and meeting great people.

Junebug

I had bad luck with T-Mobile on the California Zephyr. The only time I had service was near cities. I think if you want to work consistently you probably will have to get a Verizon USB thing or a phone and tether it or mi-fi from it. I switched to AT&T for the next trip and it wasn't much better. Verizon is the only service that seems to be more consistently available.

Hope you enjoy Amtrak! I love the freedom of walking around the train, the friendly staff, and meeting great people.

Junebug
Yeah, that's my plan. I said I plan to rent one a Verizon USB gadget from Rovair (their second link so far in this thread. ;) ) Since the East coast really does seem to be well wired, I'm probably going to wait until I get to Chicago and have the mail it to me there. I'm only going to need the Verizon when I'm out in the middle of nowhere.

However, after all of this planning, I can really see why people just say "screw it" and fly. If one more thing comes up that I have to worry about in scheduling this trip because Amtrak's policies don't really make it easy, Virgin America is getting my money and Amtrak isn't.

Don't forget that meals are included in first class.
However, if they had first-class seats, I'd pay up. I'm just not seeing a reason to get a sleeper. I'd fly and just rent a great hotel room for the prices they're charging to get from Chicago to Cali.
The price seems high because you are considering the trip as just transportation. A plane is transportation (and so is a sardine can in a truck for the sardines) but the train is more than that. It, like visiting those various cities, is an experience not to be missed.

To save a few bucks, since you are making stops along the way to see things, consider some daytime stops. For example, you can take the train overnight from Denver with a room but stop and visit the Reno/Lake Tahoe area for an overnight hotel then continue to Emeryville on the daytime portion a day or two later. Or do overnight to Denver with a room and then coach to Glenwood Springs or Grand Junction then take a room to Emeryville. This is an opportunity to see the country if you have the time and to enjoy the trip (unlike flying).

Don't forget that meals are included in first class.
The price seems high because you are considering the trip as just transportation. A plane is transportation (and so is a sardine can in a truck for the sardines) but the train is more than that. It, like visiting those various cities, is an experience not to be missed.

Not really. I lived abroad for over 9 years. Most of the travel I did in that country and in many others was by bus or train. My first year I did a lot of flying but then realized, yeah, I wanted the value and the adventure of getting on a bus or train and seeing the countryside. I've done the same in Europe and in China.

Those train and bus trips were great. In Europe it was mostly by speed trains like the Thalys and EuroStar. Those aren't cheap, but they are fast. You're in London, Brussels, or Paris the same day. There aren't any here except for on the east and that does me no good because I'm going west. I've been on the overnight Orient Express from Vienna to Paris. It was just okay because either they didn't have roomettes or I'd booked too late. I ended up in a room with a family. Ugh. However, in the morning, the experience of coming into Paris by train? Amazing. I was a giddy tourist and squealed when I had a view of the Eiffel Tower from my taxi. (Good for me my driver was a woman and I was using my pidgin French; she was amused.)

I'd consider Greyhound but I really don't want to go across the country and not be able to walk around. You really can't on a bus, and I'd get a bit fidgety after a couple of days of that. I once took the overnight bus from Berlin to Brussels and that trip drove me nuts.

I got on the most packed train ever in China going from Beijing to Xingang to get on a Princess cruise ship. It was crowded, crazy and great! I "pleased and thank you(ed)" my way on to that train. I had to because it was sold out, so thank goodness for a rude foreigner in front of me who was having a meltdown. She snapped at me when I suggested she not yell at the ticketing agent because she wasn't going to go anywhere if she kept that up. I was right. She got nothing, and she blessed the ticketing agent and me out on her way out. When I got the window I was an angel in comparison, and that got me what I wanted because I needed to get on that boat. That agent got on the phone, got someone to approve letting the nice black gal on the train to make her ship. It was a GREAT ride. It was insanely packed but folks were friendly and curious. I even got some snacks and a seat (folks were just curious about me.) Had I not got on that train I would have had to get myself up to Dailan or down to Shanghai to catch up to the boat. That would have sucked.

My problem is moreso that I'm comparing to those experiences and what I'll get for what I'd pay Amtrak. I think what I'll do is probably take the train from NYC to D.C. and then to Chicago. Then I'll fly to San Francisco from there. The worst part of planning is the tech issue, the cost of the rooms and that daff no showering without a room rule (I'd even pay them to let me shower).

While I want to do it, it might have to wait. I'll be going back and forth to NYC anyway. It is an issue of cash flow too. I'll get to San Francisco and have to find an apartment. It doesn't really make sense to drop over $1,200 to train, renting a backup Internet connection and a backup power source when I can fly and use that money to get an apartment that I like.

BTW, I have a friend in Tahoe who'd put me up. Honestly? Once I get that close to Bay Area, I'm going to want to just get there.

Hey you have a great trip to look forward to, hope you can find the right arrangements to make it work.

Don't know how much stuff you are moving back to SF but I saw something the other day that really caught my eye, maybe everyone knows about this, but it was new to me.

U-Haul has this portable storage container called U-Box, that you get delivered to you or you can pick it up with their little trailer, you fill it and they come and get it, or you can trailer it, but you have flexibility then, if you need to store your stuff for a little while before you get your new place, etc. The size looked good, not too big, I saw one being used on the street here and looked it up on the U-Haul site right away.

It looks very efficient and if I ever move back to the Upper Midwest I will definitely look at one of those as my first option.

Hey you have a great trip to look forward to, hope you can find the right arrangements to make it work. Don't know how much stuff you are moving back to SF but I saw something the other day that really caught my eye, maybe everyone knows about this, but it was new to me. U-Haul has this portable storage container called U-Box, that you get delivered to you or you can pick it up with their little trailer, you fill it and they come and get it, or you can trailer it, but you have flexibility then, if you need to store your stuff for a little while before you get your new place, etc. The size looked good, not too big, I saw one being used on the street here and looked it up on the U-Haul site right away. It looks very efficient and if I ever move back to the Upper Midwest I will definitely look at one of those as my first option.
Oh, I might check that out. However, an ex has stepped up and says it's okay for me to mail stuff to him. Honestly, I never felt that settled in NYC and didn't accumulate much. I think that container might actually be too big as I can move across town in two drives with a regular car. ;) I'll check it out. Thanks for the tip! I appreciate it!

I think it's going to be train to Chicago. I think with a month with friends in August, I might just take off to D.C. midway through for the sake of my sanity. I'm someone who likes being being alone (I'm an only child and like my own company), so a two or three day escape from the rental with a bunch of people might be good. If so, I'd go straight from Penn Station to Chicago and then I'd fly from Chicago to San Francisco. That's what it's looking like right now as Virgin has a few flights daily leaving from ORD in Chicago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back