Cross-Country Trip: Onboard Staff Issues, Equipment Problems

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

frugalist

Lead Service Attendant
This is my first post since returning from my July cross-country round trip Amtrak Adventure. I’ve waited this long to post because I had an ongoing Customer Relations case under investigation and didn’t want to post anything until it got closer to resolution and until I had calmed down a bit. Today, I finally received a letter from Corporate Headquarters in DC, so now I want to talk a bit about the issues involved. In this post, I’ll just go over the basics of my case. If more details are requested by the community, I’ll provide as much as I can.

My wife and I booked a “Trip Of A Lifetime” going from SBG – NYP – CHI – LAX – SEA – VAC, then returning VAC – SEA - SAC – CHI - WAS – SBG, with a cruise from Vancouver to Alaska in between. This was an AGR reward trip. Booked all the way in bedrooms, except the segments between VAC and SEA, which were on the Cascades in Business Class.

The outbound trip was marvelous and uneventful. Unfortunately, the same can’t be said about the return trip, from SAC all the way to SBG.

I need to emphasize that I understand that Amtrak has been plagued by weather-related delays this year. A delay on one route can have rippling effects on other routes. This happens. The delays were NOT, in and of themselves, the issue. It was all about how the delays were handled by the onboard staff of both the CZ and the Cap. Ltd., as well as Customer Relations, Metropolitan Lounge and ticket office staff at Chicago Union Station.

The CZ was late into CHI (due primarily to flooding in the midwest) resulting in us missing our connection to the Cap. Ltd. After being assured by the CZ’s onboard staff and by everyone we dealt with in Chicago Union Station, that we would be reaccomodated on the next day’s CL in a bedroom, the next day we were involuntarily downgraded to a roomette accomodation. This, even though three eastbound trains missed their connections with the CL in CHI, which opened up many bedrooms. On the CL, I asked the conductor about this situation and was told that all the bedrooms that were booked to people who missed their connections in CHI were subsequently sold to people getting on that night farther down the line. She also said the same was true about the empty roomette that was directly across the hall from us, and another one farther down the car. Both of those roomettes stayed empty the entire trip into WAS. I hate to use such strong language, but I’m convinced the conductor lied to us. I’m hoping that someone can come up with a plausible explanation for why we were told all of the sleeping accomodations were sold out, when I could see with my own eyes that at least 2 roomettes stayed vacant. I’d stake my life on the fact that there were also bedrooms that went vacant on that train. Our sleeping car attendent never came by to offer to put down our beds at night. We had to do that ourselves. And, he never came by to offer to put up our beds the next morning. We had to do that ourselves too. There’s more, but this is getting too long already. The key issue is the involuntary downgrading when there were, very likely, bedrooms available.

On our ride to Florida on the Silver Meteor, we had a fabulous sleeping car attendant who had only been with Amtrak for six months. Having said that, the air conditioning in our room was not working. The fan was merely recirculating the car's air without cooling it. In the morning, when the sun came up things really started heating up. The heat in our room was intolerable. After breakfast, our SCA worked with the conductor to move us to a roomette in the other end of the car that was properly air conditioned. We had to give up our roomy bedroom for about 6 hours during the day, but at least we were cool. After lunch, I had to go back to our bedroom to retrieve something I left there, and it was stiflingly hot.

Finally, to finish our trip with one final issue, our checked baggage was not off-loaded in SBG. It was, however, delivered to us the next day.

I spoke with a Customer Relations agent on the phone the day after we got home. After going through my story, I was offered a travel voucher that I consider insufficient for what we were put through. I was told that I could write a letter to Corporate CR in Washington. I got that letter out the next day. In that letter I specifically requested a return of 10,000 points to my AGR account, representing the difference between a 2-zone bedroom and a 2-zone roomette award (CHI – WAS is a 2-zone trip) since we were involuntarily downgraded on the CL. I also asked for a more substantial voucher than originally offered. This letter went out July 28.

By August 22, I still had not received a reply to my letter, so I called CR again. After waiting on hold for 45 minutes, I had to go somewhere, so I hung up. I now knew I had to block out a good portion of my morning the next time I called.

On August 30, still no sign of a reply. So, I got ahold of a CR agent who told me a response letter was written August 16, but she could not tell if or when it had been actually sent to me. She suggested I wait a week and call back if I still hadn’t received it.

September 6 came and still no letter. Another call to CR revealed that the letter was sent out September 2. Even with the Labor Day holiday, I was sure to receive it any day now.

“Any day now” turned out to be September 12. The envelope is postmarked Sept. 9! When I called on the 6th, the letter hadn’t even been posted, even though I was told it was mailed on the 2nd. Can there possibly be a reasonable explanation for this?

I was given a more substantial voucher than originally offered. But I was told that since travel had been completed, AGR will not refund any points to my account even though we were involuntarily downgraded. I guess the voucher is supposed to be their equivalent of a points refund.

This post has gotten way longer than I hoped it would. Right now, I have a few questions for the community: is it true that AGR points are never refunded to a passenger’s account if the trip was taken, although the passenger was involuntarily downgraded? If someone has been refunded AGR points if travel has been completed, was this before or after AGR was moved in-house last October? Should I press for a points refund? If so, who should I contact next?

If you’ve read this far, thanks. Any feedback, good or bad, would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am interested in hearing the answer to your points question. I have no clue as to what the answer WILL be, but what it SHOULD be is patently obvious to me. Your points are a form of currency, the fare was a set amount for your accommodations, and if you are involuntarily downgraded, a refund of the difference is costs should be automatic......at least that is how I see it.

In no way does that mean that is how others see it........as I said, it will be interesting to see the coments of others here.

You could consider contacting the AGR Insider at Flyer Talk.

I agree that you should receive a points refund for the difference between a one zone bedroom and a one zone roomette since you were in a roomette on the CL and in a roomette for much of your trip on the silver service.

Looks can be deceiving.

First off, when your inbound to CHI was late, the next day was the first option. But at the time, I would guess the Bedrooms were already sold out. So they did the downgraded room to get you on your way. Same as airlines do: no F available, but we can get you on your way in Y.

Next, the empty rooms out of CHI could have been because of no-shows or other day-of-disruptions who rebooked. Why you were not moved up is likely because that is not a 'flagged category'. The conductor was just using the best info he had, go easy huh. You could have declined the Roomette for a Bedroom, but that would have been the next day; then there are no guarantees for your ongoing reservations either. Your choice. (and you made the correct one, keep moving). As for the ongoing vacant rooms? Well, maybe a cancellation here or there? Who knows. (and it is unlikely anyone will reconstruct a computer diary of every transaction related to that train so really, no one will really ever know)

Now, you should ask for something for lesser accommodation. So how much was the "substantial voucher" ...

I agree that you should receive a points refund for the difference between a one zone bedroom and a one zone roomette since you were in a roomette on the CL and in a roomette for much of your trip on the silver service.
Good idea about contacting AGR Insider. Thanks for that. I'll send him/her a PM.

I'm curious why you say the points refund should be based on a one-zone trip, not a two-zone trip since CHI-WAS is a two-zone trip? If you add in the segment of our trip on the Silver Meteor where we sat in a roomette (around SAV-SBG) it's an even longer two-zone trip.

First off, when your inbound to CHI was late, the next day was the first option. But at the time, I would guess the Bedrooms were already sold out. So they did the downgraded room to get you on your way. Same as airlines do: no F available, but we can get you on your way in Y.
Exactly. But one thing I didn't put in my OP was the fact that the rep in Customer Relations, the rep in the Metropolitan Lounge and the agent at the ticket counter ALL told us that by mid-afternoon the next day Amtrak will have a handle on the status of inbound trains and if any of them will be missing their connections in CHI. We were told that once it was determined that one or more inbound trains would miss their connections with the CL, the system would free up any bedrooms booked by passengers on those trains, allowing us to be re-booked into them. One hour before our CL was to depart, three inbound trains were already showing on the Arrivals Board as being too late to make their connection. However, the rep at the Metropolitan Lounge told us we now had to speak to the conductor on the train to be moved.

Why you were not moved up is likely because that is not a 'flagged category'.
I'm not familiar with that term. Can you explain what that is? Thanks.

The conductor was just using the best info he had, go easy huh.
The conductor was absolutely certain, and quite adamant that all bedrooms and roomettes had been sold to people getting on down the line. They were not sold to people originating in CHI who didn't show up. Besides, even if that were the case, they should be available for sale a short time after leaving CHI.

As for the ongoing vacant rooms? Well, maybe a cancellation here or there? Who knows. (and it is unlikely anyone will reconstruct a computer diary of every transaction related to that train so really, no one will really ever know)
You're right, no one will probably ever know. But, I made my judgement that I was lied to based on my subjective impression of the conductor's approach to me and my concern. I hate to think that a conductor would lie to anyone in a situation like that, but human nature being what it is, some people will say anything just to get a customer to be quiet.

Now, you should ask for something for lesser accommodation. So how much was the "substantial voucher" ...
Is the actual amount of the voucher really important? I will say that I consider it sufficient to compensate for the poor attitudes we encountered, the poor service we had to endure, the misinformation we were given by multiple employees and the malfunctioning air conditioning on the SM. I do not consider it sufficient to compensate for all that plus the involuntary downgrade on the CL.

Why you were not moved up is likely because that is not a 'flagged category'.
I'm not familiar with that term. Can you explain what that is? Thanks.
Once rebooked, the process is over. I doubt the computer continues to hold a "flag" on your record hoping to upgrade you.

AMTRAK likely had those Bedrooms held for the mis-connects. Again, you were already rebooked, and I am sure it is not in anyone's SOPs to go back and check every reservation for something unusual. Hence, you got the Roomette, the Bedrooms were released for sale, and other bought them up. Sounds as if the Conductor was right. If you have ever had a airline disruption you know how frustrating a rebook can be -- I mean someone somewhere is just hacking away trying to do the best they can ... and even those situations change -- 'No Sir, that flight is full ... hey wait, one seat just opened up."

Hey, I am all for holding for an affirmative satisfactory result, but when you say "substantial", and given only your last two legs were affected, and you did make your final destination ---- I guess my point is there is no sense of holding for "punitive damages" or getting them to pay for more than what the problem was. The downgrade out of CHI you accepted. The room problem out of WAS, well they did relocate you to a smaller accommodation. But certainly you paid for more on both. Take the $500 and move on.

Good idea about contacting AGR Insider. Thanks for that. I'll send him/her a PM.

I'm curious why you say the points refund should be based on a one-zone trip, not a two-zone trip since CHI-WAS is a two-zone trip? If you add in the segment of our trip on the Silver Meteor where we sat in a roomette (around SAV-SBG) it's an even longer two-zone trip.
Sorry I meant two zone.

While ,yes, You deserve some compensation,my opinion is you were lucky. My families dream trip was just plain dumped. Both directions, nothing .We got a refund and eventually a " sorry" from customer service. With all of the fubars at amtrak I am surprised you got a mail response as fast as you did. With amtrak you can look at it as an ordeal, or an adventure, the difference is attitude. Hope that with time you come to understand that with amtrak you were one of the lucky ones.

What was the value of the voucher? Can't seem to find the points cost with the current promotion but would your voucher cover the value of 10K points for the downgrade plus a compensation for the A/C problem and the inconvenience of being downgraded?

I'd say the baggage issue was likely a small problem. Unlike not having bags at your vacation spot, not having them for a day at home is rarely an issue.

Is the actual amount of the voucher really important? I will say that I consider it sufficient to compensate for the poor attitudes we encountered, the poor service we had to endure, the misinformation we were given by multiple employees and the malfunctioning air conditioning on the SM. I do not consider it sufficient to compensate for all that plus the involuntary downgrade on the CL.
Yes, the value of the voucher is important. You brought it up and labeled it substantial. Tell us what “substantial” is.

You should be happy you got re-accommodated in to a sleeper instead of coach. You’re just guessing at the status of the other bedrooms, and don’t know if they were being held for folks down the line that later cancelled. Now, if you saw folks on your train being upgraded into these bedrooms, after being told they were already booked, then you would have a reason to complain.

Unfortunately, this sounds like a typical Amtrak trip, but the only thing you had a reason to complain about was the A/C not working. You got your secret-value voucher. Time to move on.

What was the value of the voucher? Can't seem to find the points cost with the current promotion but would your voucher cover the value of 10K points for the downgrade plus a compensation for the A/C problem and the inconvenience of being downgraded?
Interesting idea. Buying 7,000 points costs $192.50 and comes with a 3,500 point bonus for a total of 10,500 points. But, can a voucher be used to pay for a points purchase? Reading the fine print on the voucher, I don't think so. It says "this certificate may be used as payment for travel on any Amtrak service..." However, if the voucher could, somehow, be used to purchase 7,000 points, then I can say the answer to your second question is yes. Hmmmm ... so, does this mean I should be satisfied with what I got? Lemme think about that. ;)

I'd say the baggage issue was likely a small problem. Unlike not having bags at your vacation spot, not having them for a day at home is rarely an issue.
I agree. I just threw that in since it was one last little jab at the end of a long sequence of punches. It certainly didn't result in any inconvenience, other than delaying laundry day one day. ;) If that's all that happened I wouldn't have even mentioned it.

While ,yes, You deserve some compensation,my opinion is you were lucky. My families dream trip was just plain dumped. Both directions, nothing .We got a refund and eventually a " sorry" from customer service. With all of the fubars at amtrak I am surprised you got a mail response as fast as you did. With amtrak you can look at it as an ordeal, or an adventure, the difference is attitude. Hope that with time you come to understand that with amtrak you were one of the lucky ones.
Thanks for that. It helps me look at the issue from a different perspective.

I've traveled a bit in my life and I like to think I can generally roll with the punches. Usually, we like to take the best out of a bad situation. For example, we acknowledge we got a free night in a nice hotel in Chicago, ate dinner at Giordano's, and had the chance to see some of the sights before our train left for Washington. Our issue is not with the delay. It's with the way it was handled. The attitudes of virtually everyone involved, and the misinformation (I'll be nonjudgmental and call it that) we received from so many employees, even up to my September 6 call to Customer Relations, when I was told my response letter was mailed Sept. 2 (the envelope is postmarked Sept. 9). That's what got my blood pressure up.

Of course, if our trip had been just canceled, stranding us somewhere, that would've been a whole 'nother ball game.

I was going to point out earlier that you can buy 10,000 points and get a bonus of 5000 points right now for a very good deal. However you can't buy points with a voucher.

Also, and correct me if I am wrong, but I believe others have posted about issues on their AGR trips. It seems like you either get a voucher or a points refund - not both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back