Crossing Canadian border with food and beverage?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trying to coordinate an extended family trip to Vancouver with train back to Seattle but traveling with my 5 year old with life threatening food allergies (peanut/treenuts and goat milk aka feta type cheese).. trying to figure what in the world to pack to feed him that's safe, not entirely junk and be allowed through customs. Any suggestions as a frequent border crosser?
I am a frequent visitor to Canada and NEXUS cardholder.

Pretty much all processed/packaged foods are allowed except those with meat products (no Slim Jims or jerky). I am not sure about processed meat products, but meat is tricky and just don't do it when in doubt.

Hard cheeses (no brie) are allowed.

Most fruits and vegetables are NOT allowed. There are exceptions, but you have to dig pretty deep to find them (avocados are apparently okay, for example). It is safer just not to bring fresh fruit and veggies.

Most meat products, especially fresh meat, are not allowed. Some packaged meats may or may not be okay, but personally I never try to take any meat products of any type across.

I am not sure about fresh dairy (like milk).

Declare all food. If you declare it and it isn't allowed, you will not get into trouble, it will just be disposed of. If you do not declare it and they find it, you will be in trouble.

Pretty much if you buy packaged food in a supermarket, it'll be fine to take (again, except meat products, which can be iffy).

Note Vancouver has lots of supermarkets and anything you cannot take across you can buy there. Just remember that bringing food into the US has similar restrictions.

Last edited:
Hi, not sure if this belongs here... but we'll be taking the Amtrak train for the first time later this month from Vancouver, BC to Seattle. I'm not sure how the security rules differ from train to car and plane travel, but are we allowed to pack a 6-pack of canned pepsi and 6-pack of bottled water in our carry on, on the Amtrak through US security/borders? All cans and bottles will be sealed, and we will not be consuming it on the train, but would like to bring it with us onto the cruise that we'll be embarking in Seattle. Thank you.

Hi, not sure if this belongs here... but we'll be taking the Amtrak train for the first time later this month from Vancouver, BC to Seattle. I'm not sure how the security rules differ from train to car and plane travel, but are we allowed to pack a 6-pack of canned pepsi and 6-pack of bottled water in our carry on, on the Amtrak through US security/borders? All cans and bottles will be sealed, and we will not be consuming it on the train, but would like to bring it with us onto the cruise that we'll be embarking in Seattle. Thank you.
I cross frequently from Washington to BC and back by the Cascades and my personal vehicle. Bottled water and Pepsi in virtually any amount are just fine. If you have a lot of it, you may be asked what you intend to do with it, they're looking for resale, but just answer truthfully with what you said here and there won't be a problem. I once had 12 small bottles of tonic water going into Canada that aroused CBSA curiosity, and I told them I just wanted to make some some drinks myself on a 5 day train ride. It probably helped I already declared a liter of vodka 😉. That satisfied the agent.

CBSA and CBP will totally understand that you want your own drinks on a cruise.

Don't worry about opened versus unopened. I almost always have an open bottle of water when I cross in my own vehicle. Pepsi and water have no restrictions either way.

There is absolutely no difference in the regulations between travel modes. Crossing by vehicle, rail or air, the regs are the same regarding what you can take. ID requirements vary between land and air, though.

Always answer truthfully and if you have any doubts at all declare it. Declarations insulate you from adverse consequences.

Last edited:
I cross frequently from Washington to BC and back by the Cascades and my personal vehicle. Bottled water and Pepsi in virtually any amount are just fine. If you have a lot of it, you may be asked what you intend to do with it, they're looking for resale, but just answer truthfully with what you said here and there won't be a problem. I once had 12 small bottles of tonic water going into Canada that aroused CBSA curiosity, and I told them I just wanted to make some some drinks myself on a 5 day train ride. It probably helped I already declared a liter of vodka 😉. That satisfied the agent.

CBSA and CBP will totally understand that you want your own drinks on a cruise.

Don't worry about opened versus unopened. I almost always have an open bottle of water when I cross in my own vehicle. Pepsi and water have no restrictions either way.

There is absolutely no difference in the regulations between travel modes. Crossing by vehicle, rail or air, the regs are the same regarding what you can take. ID requirements vary between land and air, though.

Always answer truthfully and if you have any doubts at all declare it. Declarations insulate you from adverse consequences.
That's exactly the information I needed. Thank you so much!! 🙂

While Customs regulations are the same, the poster may be thinking of the limits on liquids on airplanes. That's an air security restriction, not a border crossing restriction.

I once had 12 small bottles of tonic water going into Canada that aroused CBSA curiosity, and I told them I just wanted to make some some drinks myself on a 5 day train ride. It probably helped I already declared a liter of vodka 😉. That satisfied the agent.

That sounds like the right quantity of "Adult Beverages," as our friend Bob Dylan would call them, for a 5-day rail journey!

Back