CS detour over Tehachapi Loop

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well AMTRAK must know that these rare-mileage trips will bring out a lot of rail fans. I just looked at a March 23rd departure from Seattle and a roomette is $479 and the railfare was $177. Thats fully double what I paid for my #14 trip 3 weeks ago.
Weekend departures might be more expensive during spring break. if you have some flexibility, check prices on amsnag.net to see if you can find a "low bucket fare" date that also includes the detour.

When I rode the northbound detour in 2012 there were very few railfans aboard and plenty of seats overall in coach for my LAX to OKJ journey.

Because of juggling the schedules of others I'll be meeting up with, I've moved the trip another day later. So I'll be taking the loop on Monday rather than Sunday. I'm using AGR southbound, so I don't know how much it would have been, but the northbound roomette cost me an additional $69.

yarrow and i booked an agr redemption for 3/14. we did tehachapi northbound a couple years ago. looking forward to southbound. mountain railroading at its finest. also, looking forward to altamont pass in the daytime. thanks for alerting us to the detour charlie.

I have no idea what the time-frame will be for an LA arrival, but here's a bit of consideration:
When I last took the southbound detour in 2009, it was non-stop between Sacramento and Los Angeles with only a crew-change stop at the now-abandoned Southern Pacific Bakersfield depot. The train left SAC at the scheduled 6:30 AM departure and, get this, arrived into LAX at 4:50 PM!

Now, this detour looks to be starting in Oakland, and will undoubtedly take the UP Niles Canyon route to Tracy (the same tracks used by ACE) and then the UP main through Bakersfield and up over the pass to Palmdale and LA. As such, I don't think it is out of the question that the train may arrive into LA with some daylight to spare. While Amtrak would never officially come up with an arrival time augmented for this detour, my guess would be anywhere around 7 PM.

If I somehow was able to get a shot at going, I'm going to have to consider my return back to Sacramento that night or very early the next morning. I have to look into doing a bit more homework.
Okay....just to be sure....this time the train will go via Oakland, and not bypass it from Sacramento, correct?

I think I will fly to SFO, then use BART to Richmond to connect to the CS. Does that sound okay?

[i think I will fly to SFO, then use BART to Richmond to connect to the CS. Does that sound okay?
It only sounds okay if you want to listen to it pass by!

Coast Starlight Trains 11 and 14 Will No Longer Stop at Richmond, CA
Effective January 14, 2013 for Train 14 and January 15, 2013 for Train 11

Trains 11 and 14 will no longer stop at Richmond, CA, on the dates shown below:

Effective January 14 northbound train 14 will no longer stop at Richmond. Effective January 15 southbound train 11 will no longer stop at Richmond. Passengers may board at Martinez, CA, or Emeryville, CA, as an alternative.

Thank you for traveling with Amtrak. We appreciate your patronage and apologize for any inconvenience you may experience. For reservation and train status information, visit Amtrak.com, use our free mobile apps or call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245).

Join us on facebook.com/Amtrak and follow us at twitter.com/Amtrak.

PSN 1212-27

Last edited by a moderator:
[i think I will fly to SFO, then use BART to Richmond to connect to the CS. Does that sound okay?

Effective January 14 northbound train 14 will no longer stop at Richmond. Effective January 15 southbound train 11 will no longer stop at Richmond. Passengers may board at Martinez, CA, or Emeryville, CA, as an alternative.

Thank you for traveling with Amtrak. We appreciate your patronage and apologize for any inconvenience you may experience. For reservation and train status information, visit Amtrak.com, use our free mobile apps or call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245).

PSN 1212-27
Oops! I wasn't aware of that....I guess i'll have to come up with a "plan B" to catch it. Thanks for that alert....

PSN 1212-27
Oops! I wasn't aware of that....I guess i'll have to come up with a "plan B" to catch it. Thanks for that alert....
Your Plan B can be similar to older plan- fly into SFO, take BART to Lake Merritt (involves a change of train at Daly City). Amtrak Oakland station is a 0.5 mile walk from BART station, not too bad, except that this is Oakland *beware*

You can also fly into OAK, take shuttle to BART station, take BART to Lake Merritt, walk to Amtrak.

Last edited by a moderator:

PSN 1212-27
Your Plan B can be similar to older plan- fly into SFO, take BART to Lake Merritt (involves a change of train at Daly City). Amtrak Oakland station is a 0.5 mile walk from BART station, not too bad, except that this is Oakland *beware*

You can also fly into OAK, take shuttle to BART station, take BART to Lake Merritt, walk to Amtrak.
I have walked the Lake Merritt Station-Amtrak Station route at least two dozen times during the past 10 years, mostly at day but four times even at night. During the day, you should have no fear at all. It's an area of warehouses and a few developing artists lofts/restaurant ventures and easily done between moderate 10-15 minutes at most. At night you would need to be a bit warier but the apprehension is more the fact that there is no one around, rather than unsavory characters around. Yes it is Oakland but crime in Oakland does not occur everywhere. And the area around the Lake Merritt station is overall safe. The Oakland Museum is a block and a half to the northeast, as is Lake Merritt itself, with its parklands.

I would compare the walk to that between the San Antonio station and the Denny's/Riverwalk area in that city, a walk that you must always do at night if taking a break from the Sunset; early morning if boarding the Texas Eagle. Not a worry at day; reasonable caution at night.

Thanks for the input, everyone.....I'll fly into SFO, as there is better service to there than OAK from here. I am leaning toward the BART to Lake Merritt station. I like the speed and reliability of BART as compared to taking a couple of buses. One lost advantage of going to Richmond to board as opposed to Emeryville or Oakland, is getting an earlier choice of seating, before most of the crowd boards. Oh well.......

I'm very excited for this detour! I got a video of it last year going through Tulare,CA with the unpainted Tioga Pass riding on rear, and a P40DC leading.

If more info about times and maybe a thread for tracking the detours, that would be great!

Here is a video link of it going through Tulare:

I'm excited now!

I am leaning toward the BART to Lake Merritt station.
Another way is to take the BART to Oakland 12th Street Station, then walk down Broadway to Jack London Square, then through Jack London to the Amtrak Station. A slightly longer walk, but much more pleasant surroundings so I always prefer it.

I am leaning toward the BART to Lake Merritt station.
Another way is to take the BART to Oakland 12th Street Station, then walk down Broadway to Jack London Square, then through Jack London to the Amtrak Station. A slightly longer walk, but much more pleasant surroundings so I always prefer it.
That is a nice walk indeed. Even in a light rain, it's pleasant.

If you want to board in Emeryville instead of Oakland (as most southbound coach pax will board in Oakland):

depending on what time you are arriving at SFO, you can also take the BART to MacArthur Station direct and then catch the free Emeryville Go Round Shellmound bus direct to the Amtrak station. They run every 15 minutes and it takes 7 minutes. Go to their website; there's a concise map and schedule information. Best of all, it's FREE!

\

If you are gonna choose some one to tag along, I would suggest the one who must travel (Amtrak of course) the fartherest distance to get to Seattle! Just my humble opinion!!!!

:p :) :hi: :giggle:

I'm very excited for this detour! I got a video of it last year going through Tulare,CA with the unpainted Tioga Pass riding on rear, and a P40DC leading.
If more info about times and maybe a thread for tracking the detours, that would be great!

Here is a video link of it going through Tulare:

Folks on trainorders.com typically post near-real-time info on each day's detour. And that is what I did (from a smartphone) when I rode one of the northbound detours last year. And at least one person planned their rendevous with the train for photos based on locations I was posting to T.O.

Based on the schedule I will probably do this by flying into Sacramento, staying at the Vagabond Inn, and riding the CS down from there. If I'm going to have to do an overnight I might as well do it in a place close to the train, as the cost for a hotel room near the Emeryville and Oakland stations is too high.

Based on the schedule I will probably do this by flying into Sacramento, staying at the Vagabond Inn, and riding the CS down from there. If I'm going to have to do an overnight I might as well do it in a place close to the train, as the cost for a hotel room near the Emeryville and Oakland stations is too high.
Let me know when you're planning to do the trip. At the moment, there are four of us, possibly five, who will be on the CS to take the loop on 3/25 (leaving SEA 3/24).

Anyone has taken this detour last year or two know whether train gets into LAUS earlier or later than if on the regular coastal route?

The trip from OKJ to LAX is I believe 14 hours. (Correct me if I am wrong).

The trip on detour from OKJ to LAX is I think 8 hours f I remember from last year.

I figure without the stops and what not the time is cut, plus the valley makes it a straight shot as well.

The trip from OKJ to LAX is I believe 14 hours. (Correct me if I am wrong).
The trip on detour from OKJ to LAX is I think 8 hours f I remember from last year.

I figure without the stops and what not the time is cut, plus the valley makes it a straight shot as well.
Scheduled running time from OKJ to LAX via the Coast Line is 12 hours, 10 minutes. Routing from Sacramento to LAX through the Central Valley can be done in substantially less time than that. But routing from SAC to OKJ to the Central Valley via Niles Canyon and Altamont Pass, Tehachapi Pass, and Soledad Canyon is not likely to be substantially faster than the Coast Line. So don't count on an early arrival into LAX, even if the detour departs from OKJ on time.

Any updates on this detour? Still going as scheduled?

I will follow it closely, before committing to book passage....probably some time during the last week of March.....

There are now six of us who will be taking the loop on Monday, March 25. Four will be leaving SEA on Sunday morning the 24th. We're picking up another in PDX later on Sunday, plus a final addition to the group at OKJ on Monday.

If anyone else wants to help us take over the PPC :) you'd be welcome. The last time I checked, there were still sleeper accommodations available, but the buckets had gone up.

We hope to have a really loopy time!

Sounds great! But I won't be needing a sleeper just from Oakland to LA....would be nice if they sold "Parlor Car Seats" in the PPC.... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back