CS running late today

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gregoryla

Service Attendant
Today's NB Coast Starlight left San Luis Obispo 1 minute late, but arrived in Paso Robles (normally an hour away) almost 2-1/2 hours late. Anyone know what happened?

Seems like the 14 is running late more days than not lately (at least from LAX to the SF Bay Area -- I haven't been checking further north to see if it's making up time).

Today's NB Coast Starlight left San Luis Obispo 1 minute late, but arrived in Paso Robles (normally an hour away) almost 2-1/2 hours late. Anyone know what happened?

Seems like the 14 is running late more days than not lately (at least from LAX to the SF Bay Area -- I haven't been checking further north to see if it's making up time).
Can't think of a better area to have delays, Man I've gotta do that route again!!!

RF

14 has been late -- an hour-plus -- through SJC more often than not, lately; at least it seems so on Wednesdays when my fellow Station Host gets stuck placating the pax on her shift. So far I've been lucky -- I volunteer on Saturday mornings, and 11's been reliably on-time for a while.

Oh, I hope I didn't just jinx it, and myself... I hope someone can clue us in on 14's delays.

Parkinson said the conductor saw the male before hitting him, but investigators had not determined whether the conductor tried to stop.
Once again stupid news editors have the conductor driving.

Local account in the San Luis Obispo Tribune:

17-year-old pedestrian struck and killed in San Luis Obispo

"'These incidents are always tragic,' Amtrak spokesman Marc Magliari said. 'These kinds of things can be prevented if people wouldn't trespass on the railroad and would observe warnings. … A train cannot swerve out of the way — it is a lot of mass and motion and can't stop short.'"

That's two dead trespassers in 3 months for train 14 - Rafi was aboard when it nailed one in my town on 5-29-10. Hope the Team Whooz CS ride next week doesn't make the hat trick.

EDIT: That's 2 in three DIFFERENT months, but in less than two months' time.

Last edited by a moderator:
...and I checked the amtrakdelays site, and the average delay for 14 into SJC over the past 4 weeks is 25 minutes. But that's a lot of "on times" and a few "very lates."

Trespass deaths are tragic...but "tragic accident" isn't quite right. If someone tries crossing the 405 in LA (when traffic is moving, anyway) and gets killed, I doubt the Times would label it a tragic accident. We need to turn up the volume on rail-line and crossing safety.

Whooz (or anyone else), if you're coming through SJC on 11 on a Saturday, say hi!

Whooz (or anyone else), if you're coming through SJC on 11 on a Saturday, say hi!
Not this trip, surfgeek, but I ride my "local" long distance train fairly often, which bodes well for a future meet.
biggrin.gif

Well, I jinxed myself: 11 is running 4 hours late today, so it looks like I'll be hanging 'round the station for a little while longer than usual today. If anyone knows why 11 left Seattle so late and then kept losing time overnight, shout out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back