Curious as to when I'll be officially notified re: change

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

penfrydd

Service Attendant
I had made three reservations which end up taking me around the country in July, including a CS to EB connection on the old schedule. Because I had scheduled a few days in San Fran, I did make an additional reservation one day earlier on the CS just so that I could be assured of a sleeper.

I'm just curious to see when Amtrak intends to notify me that they can't honor my original reservation. I realize that they are officially going back to the old schedule, but from what I've read here, that's not actually going to happen. For me, it would be good if it did, as a night in Portland is expensive for my taste.

How far in advance have any of you been notified? My trip starts on 10 Jul.

FWIW, I'd make a refundable hotel reservation in PDX (Portland) for one night. The chances of Amtrak returning to the old dparture time in July for the EB are somewhere between slim and none. There are some less expensive hotels over by the convention center a couple miles from the station. Downtown Portland is expensive.

We had the same situation, although since the next two days' sleepers from PDX eastward were booked I asked to change our connection to SEA, which they allowed. Since this was an AGR redemption there was no increased fare involved; if you're paying cash that might not be the case. I originally looked in the Pioneer Square area but couldn't find anything other than the Best Western at $279 plus tax, but looking a little farther afield I found a gem at the north end of downtown called the Mediterranean Inn. Only a smidge over $100 for the night on Priceline and only a $15 ride (including a $4 tip) from King Street Station. I can buy an awful lot of $15 cab rides with a $179 savings....

We had the same situation, although since the next two days' sleepers from PDX eastward were booked I asked to change our connection to SEA, which they allowed. Since this was an AGR redemption there was no increased fare involved; if you're paying cash that might not be the case. I originally looked in the Pioneer Square area but couldn't find anything other than the Best Western at $279 plus tax, but looking a little farther afield I found a gem at the north end of downtown called the Mediterranean Inn. Only a smidge over $100 for the night on Priceline and only a $15 ride (including a $4 tip) from King Street Station. I can buy an awful lot of $15 cab rides with a $179 savings....
I've stayed at the Mediterranean Inn twice in the last three years, partly during NW Folklife both times. It cost a bit more during NW Folklife but I really really like the place. Clean, quiet, helpful staff, and good inexpensive dining very close.

And really easy walk to anywhere in Seattle Center. The public transit situation is also excellent (I stayed long enough to get an ORCA card, which is worth doing if you'll be there more than overnight) with the RapidRide "D" line stopping within 3 blocks either to Downtown or Ballard. But if you take the "D" downtown to the Amtrak station, you must get off the bus before Seneca and walk the last 5 blocks, otherwise you'll find yourself in West Seattle ( I made the EB by 8 minutes after a slightly stressful return from West Seattle, stopping at Seneca, and power-walking the 1/3 mile to King Street Station.

But the Mediterranean - glad you found it, hope it works well for you.

Thanks for the good hotel suggestions. I need to firm up all the details of this trip soon. All the Amtrak and major hotel stays are done; just shuttle buses and rental cars etc to finish it all.

12 days until retirement!, and two months until the big trip.

Hi Penny - There was someone who posted on FT that they were notified of the change 30 days before their trip. I wonder if that is when amtrak is getting to people to make the notifications about the broken connections.

I agree with the others that they chances of reverting to the old schedule are slim to none. If I was in your position, I would proactively book that night in PDX at a hotel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back