Current Cap Ltd. OTP

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldsmoboi

OBS Chief
We all know why the EB has been running way behind as of late.... I've been monitoring the Cap Ltd over the past few weeks and it's been consistently 1 hour to 2 hours late each direction each day. Today's 30 is already over 4 hours late.

We're not experiencing any flooding in this end of the country.... what is going on?

Something to do with tunnel work in western PA?? I think there's mention of this in another thread.

Something to do with tunnel work in western PA?? I think there's mention of this in another thread.
The only tunnel work I'm aware of in Western PA is 1. closing an abandoned tunnel and 2. not on the route the Cap Ltd takes.

But it is often two hours down before it hits PA going either way!

The 4-hr-late Capitol Limited left CHI with a delay of 2h 46 min, according to Status Maps. Then, the delays cascaded.

The only tunnel work I'm aware of in Western PA is 1. closing an abandoned tunnel and 2. not on the route the Cap Ltd takes.
It's my understanding that 1) nothing is planned for the abandoned, long closed Western Maryland tunnel at the Pinkerton Horn, and 2) the nearby CSX tunnel, which is on the CL's route, is to be "daylighted" which means removing the overhead earth and leaving only sidewalls. The former WM tunnel's owner, Somerset County, would love CSX to also daylight it for the Great Allegheny Passage bike trail in exchange for the environmental degradation CSX is expected to cause.

FWIW, 1 or 2 hours late eastbound into Pittsburgh would suite me fine. 5:05 AM is just too early; and the new 1/2 hour earlier schedule is even worse. The last time I took a bike ride on the Passage from PGH to CUM, we arrived into PGH right on time; and we had to wait in the station for daylight.

On the other hand, 1 or 2 hours late westbound out of CUM would cut into supper time.

I'm taking the Cap. Ltd. up to Chicago departing Sunday for a Monday arrival. I was hoping I'd be able to get to the office at a civilized 9:30 - 10am, but that is looking increasingly unlikely now.

The westbound train seems to be losing a lot of time in western Ohio / eastern Indiana. For example, it's been running 52 minutes late into Toledo, but 73 minutes by the time it gets to Waterloo, Indiana. To regularly lose 20 minutes in about 75 miles seems pretty bad.

Norfolk Southern has been doing track work between essentially CUS and Porter, Indiana. There is a service notice up for the Blue Water, since it passes through that area when the work is being done. But perhaps that work is causing slow orders and a backlog on freight, which in turn is delaying the Capitol.

I'm taking the Cap. Ltd. up to Chicago departing Sunday for a Monday arrival. I was hoping I'd be able to get to the office at a civilized 9:30 - 10am, but that is looking increasingly unlikely now.
The wife and I have a roomette on the same train. :cool:

Cool. I'm in Roomette 2908 I believe.
Will have to check my tickets this evening, as I have no clue which one I'm in. :blush:
We are scheduled on 2901. :cool:

Cool. I'm in Roomette 2908 I believe.
Will have to check my tickets this evening, as I have no clue which one I'm in. :blush:
We are scheduled on 2901. :cool:
We were on the same car then. I was 2901/08

Did the Cap always have 3 sleeper cars? I only remember it having 2 when I rode in February. Today's 30 has 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back