Current state (2023) of Amtrak's accessibility efforts

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The lawsuit/ruling/? led to Amtrak now releasing semiannual reports on station ADA improvements. For some reason they are hosted on Amtrak's FOIA page. They are specific about certain stations, but then provide only overall statistics for the majority of stations. It's interesting to read about station improvements in general, but I haven't found a comprehensive list of every station's status and work. The Office of Inspector General reports are similarly, well, general. There's an accessibility email address at Amtrak, maybe they would provide a full table. One could write a simple robot to scrape the stations pages, or the parallel Great American Stations pages, also from Amtrak (via volunteers), and assemble a table. But those pages do not answer all questions, such as does a particular station have information boards, or do passengers go out onto the tracks to see what platform the train is coming in on. They do tell you whether a station has an ATM, a pretty retro piece of information these days.

A disabilities rights group used its network organizations to survey and take pictures of stations state-by-state.

Individual station improvements make the news. The reporting I read on the Charleston WV station all mirrored the Amtrak press release, with one exception, which adds:
“I’ve been here before when I thought it was going to be closed and it was closed, I was here when they didn’t have an agent because they said there wasn’t enough traffic or enough business, you have to make an investment to get a return, this is a return on investment,” [Sen. Joe Manchin] said.

The station is now back to operating 7 days a week. The Amtrak Cardinal travels three times a week from New York and Chicago with a stop through Charleston’s station.
So that may explain the rider in the IIJA funding law, stating that stations, over a certain ridership, which were formerly staffed must re-staff.

Of course it's frustrating to see all this work and not high-level platforms, or split platforms. They don't open all the doors anyway. Maybe because the contracting is so one-off and not standardized (?) platform projects can get expensive, a la the $100K bus shelter and those kinds of stories. Or I'm just underestimating what it takes to pour a mass of concrete after dealing with the drainage, and all the other things that make preparation so time consuming in construction projects (earth moving, for example). High Performance Concrete is a newer technology that allows for much thinner pours (the concrete has fibers rather than, or in addition to, rebar).

Last edited:
Back