Customer Service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Roll back to 2004 for me. I'm usually always upbeat and on the go, my customers have great respect for me.
This tell us about Al, a Good Guy

You wouldn't know from all my rants on this thread that I'm a pretty cheerful, helpful, knowledgeable salesperson now would you? :) I even owned my own store for almost ten years, I couldn't have been that big of a moody b**** lol or no one would have shopped there.
Sorry Al for the extremely tough time you went through a couple of years ago . . . I bet it took a long long time to feel halfway normal after that.

The more I post about this the more I realize that because I work in service (retail) I side with the service worker! I see things from the worker point of view even if I'm on the customer side of the interaction. And yeah, mystery shoppers? Creepy, and kind of juvenile if you ask me. Why not just say to your work force directly, "We don't trust you. Not only don't we trust you, but we don't particularly respect you either."
I am a union labor representative. The worst thing I see, is management that doesn't care. Now I prefer them to work with labor directly but if the Organization is so diverse that having eyes to guide them, than I can accept that. Of course those reports must become part of the record and available to challenge if necessary.

Let me add how would you feel if your employment were dependent on someone that knew absolutly nothing about you.

I hope you understand my middle possiion.

Aloha

Eric
And I thought I was the only one stuck between a rock and a hard place! With union membership dwindling down close to single digits in proportion to the work force it is going to be an uphill battle for some time. The trainmaster got so used to screaming my name and slamming the door behind me, when I was the Safety Committee chairman, that he actually cracked a solid wooden door and broke two of the three hinges. Funny thing~ it seemed the more he foamed the more I was able to get out of him for the men.

I had 23 years of riding trains prior to Amtrak's origin in 1971 because my Dad worked for a railroad when I was growing up. The customer service on most of the private railroads was excellent in th 1950s and many were still very good up until Amtrak started. The customer service of those trained by The Pullman Company was excellent. As Pullman, sleeping car lines were discontinued, many of these employees became dining car workers, lounge attendants and coach attendants. I did an extensive western train trip in August, 1970 less than a year before Amtrak started which included travel on the Penn Central, Santa Fe, Southern Pacific, Rio Grande and Burlington Northern. The customer service of the On Board Service Staff was excellant even on the Penn Central. At that point most of the poor service came from Operating Staff such as conductors and station staff who knew Amtrak was coming and they might not have a future. My best customer service experiences in the late 60s/early 70s were on the the Santa Fe because their staff was very customer orientated. I traveled from Chicago to Los Angeles in 8/70 on the all sleeping car Super Chief. The train was completely full which included a sleeping car that was standardly added in Kansas City. The sleeping car, lounge car and dining car staff was superb. The dining car steward was especially attentive. He knew many of the regular customers by name and was adept at making special arrangements. A larger family group was traveling together and had their meals served in the Turquoise Room which was a private room in the Dome Lounge Car next to the dining car. The Santa Fe passnger train staff wanted to make the customer's travel experience unforgettable in a positive way. In 1973, I traveled on Amtrak's Chicago to Los Angeles train that replaced the Super Chief and El Capitain. The dining car steward was the same one from 3 years before exept they only had the high level dining car and the train was packed. The steward remember me from pervious trips. From his comments, I could tell working for Amtrak was different than working for Santa Fe. I kept in contact with this steward for a number of years after. He soon left Amtrak for a management position with a 5 star hotel chain. Many of the better OBS Staff from the private railroads also were in demand by other travel industry companies.

Despite what I said about 'off days', I think that the point I was trying to make in this thread is that there needs to be a systematic way of getting rid of the driftwood - those who truly contribute to a miserable experience.
Cascadia, I am sure you are a lovely individual who is very good at what you do. Like you said, you wouldn't be successful if you weren't. One of the questions that I have, though, is regarding your comment about having low expectations from those who you receive service from. I think that the premise of that thought is flawed. If you have low expectations, there is no need for the one on the other end to excel. It's OK to have expectations, and those expectations don't need to be low. Holding folks to a higher standard brings out the best in people through a challenging experience. Most folks are lazy because they are allowed to be. When they are lazy, they don't care. Apathy sets in and then nothing matters more than just picking up your paycheck at the end of the week. When you realize that check is always going to be there no matter how hard or how little you have to work to get it, you default to the least challenging approach. There is no incentive. There is no reward, but there is no punishment.
I'm sure I've hogged up enough bandwidth on this thread! But it's interesting thinking about these things and hearing what others have to say.

Venture forth, do you really go around trying to improve service people that you come across in daily life by offering them a "challenging experience"? And what exactly "incentives" are you offering, I don't understand? You aren't these people's boss, but you act like you are? Like making sure they know they'll be "consequences" if you don't get what you want, the way you want it, or what? Sorry I don't mean to sound so pointed but I don't really understand what a customer has to offer in the way of meaningful "rewards" and "punishments". And is this truly the attitude you have when you interact with your fellow human beings?

See, it's good you wrote all that above because it made me think. I guess if I go into a relationship with someone who's waiting on me, I try to be the best customer possible. I say please and thank you and I try not to make unnecessary requests. I try not to make the wait person play 20 questions when I place my order. I try to give them all the information they need up front, so they don't have to ask me every little thing.

I work with the public and can say with confidence that a big reason people don't get good service is because they have no idea how to go about getting it. They ask you a question and give you one tenth of the information that you need and make you work and work to pry the rest of it out of them, when they could have just laid it right out for you and made things easier for themselves and everyone else. They bark one-word commands that should be a sentence in question form (my pet peeve). . . I'm not going to take it out on any of them but people who meet me halfway get tenfold back, that's just the way it is.

So that's good, it helped me clarify my thoughts, you go into a relationship with a service person in an adversarial way, as though you were their employer and going to "teach them a thing or two" about how things should be done, and threaten them with "punishment" too, and I still don't get what the big systemic "reward" you offer is.

Me, I'm different, I go into a relationship with a service person trying not to be like the person ahead of me and behind me in line, who ask for a pack of cigarettes by gruffly barking "Marlboro!", and ask for change for a dollar by holding out a dollar bill and not saying anything, like the person behind the counter is a machine. I try to treat the cashier or waitperson like they are a human being with problems of their own, and try to not to offend them or take up more time than I have to.

I'm sure I've hogged up enough bandwidth on this thread! But it's interesting thinking about these things and hearing what others have to say.
Venture forth, do you really go around trying to improve service people that you come across in daily life by offering them a "challenging experience"? And what exactly "incentives" are you offering, I don't understand? You aren't these people's boss, but you act like you are? Like making sure they know they'll be "consequences" if you don't get what you want, the way you want it, or what? Sorry I don't mean to sound so pointed but I don't really understand what a customer has to offer in the way of meaningful "rewards" and "punishments". And is this truly the attitude you have when you interact with your fellow human beings?

See, it's good you wrote all that above because it made me think. I guess if I go into a relationship with someone who's waiting on me, I try to be the best customer possible. I say please and thank you and I try not to make unnecessary requests. I try not to make the wait person play 20 questions when I place my order. I try to give them all the information they need up front, so they don't have to ask me every little thing.

I work with the public and can say with confidence that a big reason people don't get good service is because they have no idea how to go about getting it. They ask you a question and give you one tenth of the information that you need and make you work and work to pry the rest of it out of them, when they could have just laid it right out for you and made things easier for themselves and everyone else. They bark one-word commands that should be a sentence in question form (my pet peeve). . . I'm not going to take it out on any of them but people who meet me halfway get tenfold back, that's just the way it is.

So that's good, it helped me clarify my thoughts, you go into a relationship with a service person in an adversarial way, as though you were their employer and going to "teach them a thing or two" about how things should be done, and threaten them with "punishment" too, and I still don't get what the big systemic "reward" you offer is.

Me, I'm different, I go into a relationship with a service person trying not to be like the person ahead of me and behind me in line, who ask for a pack of cigarettes by gruffly barking "Marlboro!", and ask for change for a dollar by holding out a dollar bill and not saying anything, like the person behind the counter is a machine. I try to treat the cashier or waitperson like they are a human being with problems of their own, and try to not to offend them or take up more time than I have to.
Perhaps you misunderstood my remarks regarding rewards and consequences. I don't go about as a consumer hoping that someone who provides me service is given incentives (ie: recognition) or punishment (ie: written up). I certainly don't go into a relationship with a rotten attitude hoping to challenge a service provider to do right. Incentives and demerits are tools exclusive to management. However, the input required by management to make that determination comes from either direct observation (which is generally skewed because for the most part folks behave when their boss is watching), or by feedback from a customer. Even feedback can be skewed. When a customer has a bad experience somewhere, they let 10 of their friends know about it. If they have a good experience, they probably won't tell anyone because that is the status quo. If they have an exceptional service, they may tell 5.

Certainly the consumer often has the first shot at setting the tone. A well trained service employee has the first chance to normalize it. Who speaks first? How is the first reponse volleyed?

Oh, there are those who go into a relationship with a service employee with the thought of teaching them a thing or two. I know I have been approached that way. But proper training, proper discipline, and a smile goes a long way towards cooling the heat.

Certainly as consumers we should always be considerate of individuals we come in contact with. My whole point here in this thread is that there are some who consistently produce bad behavior. It doesn't matter whether you know how to get good service out of them or not. The onus isn't on the consumer, it's on the employee whom you have paid to receive service from. It IS most certainly the responsibility and the expectation of those in service to absorb some of the rotten armpits in their job - not pick and choose who they will serve well and then turn around and say "I'm not paid to deal with people like you".

I don't think that people get bad service because they don't know how to ask for it. If that's really the case, then we're further down the tubes than I thought. I was under the impression that people should default to providing good service. Should I only be nice to you because you knew to be nice to me first?

My wife says that we should go into a restaurant and leave an expected amount of tip in dollar bills on the table. If service deteriorates, make a visible motion to remove the dollar bills one at a time. Sounds like an interesting way to get the attention of a server, but it starts off the relationship in a confrontational manner. I prefer to simply make my comment on my credit card receipt.

One guy in this forum once suggested tipping everyone from the garbage man to the mail carrier in advance for good service. That's silly, in my opinion.

When tipping is appropriate, it's the ultimate way to 'punish' or 'reward' an employee for their quality of service. It should, indeed, be a gratuity. When one is in a service job that doesn't involve tipping, especially when their job is unsupervised like on a train or plane, mystery shoppers and trip reports from the community at large are esssential.

Yet somehow, really bad employees still hang on...

I was under the impression that people should default to providing good service.
Sorry to jump in, but I think one of the issues here is that "good service" is subjective. It's entirely possible for a person to be providing service that they think is good, while the customer thinks it's bad (or vice versa I guess). Personally, I except "good service" but to me that just means doing the specific tasks required of their job. Applied to a restaurant, that means taking my order correctly, not leaving me for hours without checking in, bringing food and bill timely, etc. But there are some people who expect more than that as "good service" and grumble when the waiter isn't there every second (or is there too much!), or has a "tone" or something like that.

Applied to this topic, I think this is why I agree with the poster who said if they do this it needs to be very organized and probably run by a third-party organization. Specific expectations need to be set, so that the individual mystery shoppers' personal opinions of service don't enter in. They'd be operating on a specific checklist of what they're looking for and reporting on.

this is becoming alot more difficult than it has to be! ;)

I agree

docbrownb61406.jpg

WOW! It seems that Amtrak personal service is the hottest topic on this site. I recall a thread from a few weeks back on this subject that went on for days.

I haven't done a word-check on all these comments, but I don't recall seeing the word "RESPECT" mentioned here. (Forgive me if I'm wrong.) Isn't that what it's all about? And ONLY what it's all about? If we all enter into what Cascadia calls a "relationship" with a modicum of respect for the other person and behave accordingly, that's all anybody could and should ask for. I was always taught that even though I was the "consumer," I should show RESPECT for the service person, because he/she is my equal.

Isn't that what it's all about?

I've made a grand total of 3 round trips on Amtrak - ridden 10 trains. I do NOT claim to be a veteran, to be an experienced rider. However, in my few rides, I have been quite pleased with how I've been treated by Amtrak personnel.

I was not pleased by the way one SCA did his job - we boarded with everyone else and I do mean everyone - the SCA went through the car saying, "I'll be back to help you" - he said that through out the car. He never did return, so we coped. Otherwise, all the Amtrak personnel met or exceeded out expectations.

With the one exceptions, I do NOT think that any of the Amtrak personnel who assisted us have anything to fear from "Mystery Travelers"

"One guy in this forum once suggested tipping everyone from the garbage man to the mail carrier in advance for good service. That's silly, in my opinion."

woman....of intelligence. :rolleyes:

You may think it's silly but as stated before, I rarely (but do have one doozy) get bad service worth writing about. I can understand Cascadia's point of view. Your service workers aren't your friends (usually). Fakey chirpiness does little to really cheer people. But, most people respond to being treated with the milk of human kindness. Of all people, some of my religious faith gave me a , "so it's you who ties up the line", when I said that I usually greet the cashiers and others with a simple line, "is everything all right with you today". I think they're going too fast through life to notice who is traveling with them. For some reason (maybe it's because I mean it), I get sincere answers in response and can see stress leave their face at someone asking about them personally. Odd as it may sound for this board, they've shared with me the state of their reproductive systems, what's going on with their marriages, (...not while holding up others behind me), their dreams for the future, asked my advice about what their kids should pursue as an occupation...etc, etc. It amazes me what they are willing to share when you show you are willing to take the time. I'm honored. I've seen bantered about in recent years a term that may apply, "emotional intelligence"....don't know exactly what it means but it's becoming important to understand.

When you are in France, it is customary to greet the proprietor of a store (bon jour) that you enter and give a goodbye (au revoir) greeting as well. There's just something human about this. You can either say it like you mean it or do it because it's expected. You'll probably get better results if it's the former.

Despite what I said about 'off days', I think that the point I was trying to make in this thread is that there needs to be a systematic way of getting rid of the driftwood - those who truly contribute to a miserable experience.
Cascadia, I am sure you are a lovely individual who is very good at what you do. Like you said, you wouldn't be successful if you weren't. One of the questions that I have, though, is regarding your comment about having low expectations from those who you receive service from. I think that the premise of that thought is flawed. If you have low expectations, there is no need for the one on the other end to excel. It's OK to have expectations, and those expectations don't need to be low. Holding folks to a higher standard brings out the best in people through a challenging experience. Most folks are lazy because they are allowed to be. When they are lazy, they don't care. Apathy sets in and then nothing matters more than just picking up your paycheck at the end of the week. When you realize that check is always going to be there no matter how hard or how little you have to work to get it, you default to the least challenging approach. There is no incentive. There is no reward, but there is no punishment.

Some good points Cascadia,

Especially about people trying to obtain service! I am a Librarian in a member driven organization and I deal with members every day. They often call for information, and start by asking for something specific, but by the time I have asked a few questions (this is called a "reference interview" in Library Science) I have discovered that what they really want has nothing to do with the original question.

A few years ago I took the CNO to New Orleans for my Association's Annual Convention. The Northbound CNO had arrived very late in Chicago...and I discovered that the Attendants all had exactly 2 hours to get a meal, rest a bit, and then come back and prepare for the Southbound Service. Talk about stress! My Sleeping Car Attendant had a splitting headache and there was no pain reliever in the Lounge Car...so I opened my satchel and gave her my bottle of tylenol. I know it's their job and they have to deal with stress, but I have always gone out of my way to be polite, add a little humor when warranted (OK my Wife says I have a weird sense of humor and rides herd on it), and to offer a listening ear if necessary (I've heard many interesting stories from Attendants by asking how things are going). When we treat each other like human beings, things seem to work better!

Aggh, I didn't mean for this to be a sermon, and I will be the first to admit that Amtrak has some rotten apples, but what place doesn't?? I'll bet even Disney has a few...they can just fire them easier. Awhile back someone posted the process on what Amtrak has to go through to fire an employee...it was an eye opener for me...perhaps we could repost that somehow?? :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Especially about people trying to obtain service! I am a Librarian in a member driven organization and I deal with members every day. They often call for information, and start by asking for something specific, but by the time I have asked a few questions (this is called a "reference interview" in Library Science) I have discovered that what they really want has nothing to do with the original question.

See, you got what I meant right away, I work in a bookstore! :)

(I deleted an additional huge rant and decided to leave it at that! :p )

In many cases mystery shopping can be focused on specific tasks that a company wants to observe or evaluate and the execution of the job is something best assigned to professionals in the business.
That sort of focus carries the risk that management is missing the part of the big picture that really matters.

I was under the impression that people should default to providing good service.
Sorry to jump in, but I think one of the issues here is that "good service" is subjective. It's entirely possible for a person to be providing service that they think is good, while the customer thinks it's bad (or vice versa I guess). Personally, I except "good service" but to me that just means doing the specific tasks required of their job. Applied to a restaurant, that means taking my order correctly, not leaving me for hours without checking in, bringing food and bill timely, etc. But there are some people who expect more than that as "good service" and grumble when the waiter isn't there every second (or is there too much!), or has a "tone" or something like that.

Applied to this topic, I think this is why I agree with the poster who said if they do this it needs to be very organized and probably run by a third-party organization. Specific expectations need to be set, so that the individual mystery shoppers' personal opinions of service don't enter in. They'd be operating on a specific checklist of what they're looking for and reporting on.
ally mystery shoppers adhere to a code of ethics that would prohibit subjective comments on an evaluation. Also most evaluation include specific checklists as well as specific standards for evaluating employees.

I've made a grand total of 3 round trips on Amtrak - ridden 10 trains. I do NOT claim to be a veteran, to be an experienced rider. However, in my few rides, I have been quite pleased with how I've been treated by Amtrak personnel.
I was not pleased by the way one SCA did his job - we boarded with everyone else and I do mean everyone - the SCA went through the car saying, "I'll be back to help you" - he said that through out the car. He never did return, so we coped. Otherwise, all the Amtrak personnel met or exceeded out expectations.

With the one exceptions, I do NOT think that any of the Amtrak personnel who assisted us have anything to fear from "Mystery Travelers"
"SCA"~ I'm stumped as to who that might be. Help me out.

You guys are looking at this wrong. There is a vast middle ground between Disney service (which to be blunt, is not at all what it used to be!) and the person you are dealing with acting like a grade A jackass that should be put out of my misery, not to mention theirs. There is a middle ground right about in the middle of their that most companies and employees see as the expected and required level of service.

However, there can be variations, and it depends on the actions of the consumer.

Three Scenarios:

One) Bob walks up to the Amlounge counter, barks "Coke!" while thrusting some money at the attendant. The attendant silently grabs the money, plops the can (of Pepsi, of course) onto the counter, and makes change. He doesn't say a word. The customer looks at the can like it is some kind of alien from mars, and barks "I said COKE!". The attendant shrugs his shoulders, and moves on to the next customer, leaving Bob to stew in his anger.

Two) John walks up to the Amlounge counter, and looks at the attendant, and says: "Coke, please." The attendant informs him of the price while getting a can of Pepsi out of the counter and filling a cup with ice, placing them on the counter. John says "You don't have coke?" while handing the attendant the money. The attendant says, "Sorry, sir, we don't.", and John walks away not so happy, but satisfied.

Three) Mike walks up to the Amlunge counter, smiles at the attendant, and asks "May I have a Coke?". The attendant locates and holds up a can of Pepsi, saying "We only have Pepsi products, that ok?" Mike hands him the money, smiling, and says "Well, I prefer Coke, but this will do nicely." The attendant give him the Pepsi and a cup of ice. Mike thanks him, and the attendant says, "No problem."

All three are acceptable. It would be acceptable for Bob to get any of the three responses, although he doesn't deserve any but the first. It would be acceptable for John to get either the second or the third. Mike could also get the second or the third. These would all be acceptable.

What would be unacceptable? Mike or John getting Bob's response. By acting like a jerk, Bob has denied himself the right of getting pleasant service. He still can reciecve it, and a really good employee would give it. But he is not longer entitled to that level of polite response.

What would be unacceptable for Bob?

Four) After hearing Bobs request, the Attendant looks at a wall of Pepsi, and says "Nope, ain't got that." Bob, fuming, says "What about all the ****ing Pepsi?" The Attendant looks at it again, says "You asked for Coke, we ain't got no coke." Bob says "Pepsi, now." The Attendant grudgingly takes Bobs money while tossing him a can of Pepsi. Any time that Bob comes back to the counter, the attendant is on break, amazingly enough.

Thats unacceptable behavior on the attendants part. Bob might deserve it, but its still the attendants job to sell Bob food and drink.

Personally, if the attendants used as an examples were in fact one attendant, and worked for Amtrak, and I would like having him on my train. Someone who is acting like a jerk deserves only perfunctory service. I don't care how much you pay someone, or how much you are paying for a level of service. Acting like a jackass nets you a deserved amount of less niceness from the employee.

Personally, I'd rather the attendant take out his irritation on Bob then let it stew until Mike comes back and asks an irritating question involving lateness and gets read a riot act he did nothing to deserve. Or until he gets home and reads a member of his family a riot act they don't deserve.

There is even less excuse for treating service employees shabbily than there is for them reciprocating.

You guys are looking at this wrong. There is a vast middle ground between Disney service (which to be blunt, is not at all what it used to be!) and the person you are dealing with acting like a grade A jackass that should be put out of my misery, not to mention theirs. There is a middle ground right about in the middle of their that most companies and employees see as the expected and required level of service.
However, there can be variations, and it depends on the actions of the consumer.

Three Scenarios:

One) Bob walks up to the Amlounge counter, barks "Coke!" while thrusting some money at the attendant. The attendant silently grabs the money, plops the can (of Pepsi, of course) onto the counter, and makes change. He doesn't say a word. The customer looks at the can like it is some kind of alien from mars, and barks "I said COKE!". The attendant shrugs his shoulders, and moves on to the next customer, leaving Bob to stew in his anger.

Two) John walks up to the Amlounge counter, and looks at the attendant, and says: "Coke, please." The attendant informs him of the price while getting a can of Pepsi out of the counter and filling a cup with ice, placing them on the counter. John says "You don't have coke?" while handing the attendant the money. The attendant says, "Sorry, sir, we don't.", and John walks away not so happy, but satisfied.

Three) Mike walks up to the Amlunge counter, smiles at the attendant, and asks "May I have a Coke?". The attendant locates and holds up a can of Pepsi, saying "We only have Pepsi products, that ok?" Mike hands him the money, smiling, and says "Well, I prefer Coke, but this will do nicely." The attendant give him the Pepsi and a cup of ice. Mike thanks him, and the attendant says, "No problem."

All three are acceptable. It would be acceptable for Bob to get any of the three responses, although he doesn't deserve any but the first. It would be acceptable for John to get either the second or the third. Mike could also get the second or the third. These would all be acceptable.

What would be unacceptable? Mike or John getting Bob's response. By acting like a jerk, Bob has denied himself the right of getting pleasant service. He still can reciecve it, and a really good employee would give it. But he is not longer entitled to that level of polite response.

What would be unacceptable for Bob?

Four) After hearing Bobs request, the Attendant looks at a wall of Pepsi, and says "Nope, ain't got that." Bob, fuming, says "What about all the ****ing Pepsi?" The Attendant looks at it again, says "You asked for Coke, we ain't got no coke." Bob says "Pepsi, now." The Attendant grudgingly takes Bobs money while tossing him a can of Pepsi. Any time that Bob comes back to the counter, the attendant is on break, amazingly enough.

Thats unacceptable behavior on the attendants part. Bob might deserve it, but its still the attendants job to sell Bob food and drink.

Personally, if the attendants used as an examples were in fact one attendant, and worked for Amtrak, and I would like having him on my train. Someone who is acting like a jerk deserves only perfunctory service. I don't care how much you pay someone, or how much you are paying for a level of service. Acting like a jackass nets you a deserved amount of less niceness from the employee.

Personally, I'd rather the attendant take out his irritation on Bob then let it stew until Mike comes back and asks an irritating question involving lateness and gets read a riot act he did nothing to deserve. Or until he gets home and reads a member of his family a riot act they don't deserve.

There is even less excuse for treating service employees shabbily than there is for them reciprocating.
GML, here in the South to ask for a Coke and to receive a Pepsi is a non-issue. Reading your #4 scenario the first thought that came to my mind was that one was a yankee who when asking for a Coke wants a caramel-colored beverage made only by the Coca-Cola Company. If an older Southerner asks for a Coke, it can be acceptable to give them a Pepsi and usually there's no offense taken.

I will always assert that some of the issues faced on Amtrak are cultural issues. Witness the interactions between the NOL and the NY based crews on the Crescent. I've seen it. Had8ley's witnessed it. I doubt that we were on the same ride.

Having worked with scary clients in the business world, I can agree that there are some who assert no boundaries on their own behaviour. I learned early to be assertive if the yelling started and remind them that I would be glad and it was my job to assist them (even if I didn't agree with them) but civility had to rule. Verbal abuse of employees or customers is never appropriate. If they couldn't get their actions under control, then (under my license)I had the authority to "fire" them by revoking a legal document. The conductor is the firing official on Amtrak. At one point (and maybe still) even the IRS could code your record with a certain code that designated you as a dangerous taxpayer. For real. I've wondered if Amtrak has the ability to do the same. I've read somewhere that even the country can designate you as someone not to be allowed to visit. I'm relying on memory here, but I think it was done to my favorite author, Canadian Farley Mowat.

... There is even less excuse for treating service employees shabbily than there is for them reciprocating.
GML, For once, I am in complete agreement with you! I think you nailed my sentiment exactly. Well said.
This is probably pushing the edge of the forum's TOS, so Anthony/Alan/Eric/etc. feel free to edit or delete this post, but I couldn't help but read all of this through the glasses of an experience of one of my coworkers this morning (technically yesterday morning, but I'm still on "yesterday").

A customer came back down to the counter to complain about a minor problem with his rental car. The CSR gladly switched him into another vehicle. The customer came back down again to complain about yet another problem with this new vehicle. The CSR switched him (a tad less gladly, I would guess) into yet another vehicle. This went on for a total of six vehicle swaps. Finally, the customer asked for the manager--my above-mentioned coworker. He told her that none of the vehicles met his satisfaction and demanded a replacement. At this point, he had exhausted our entire inventory of that particular car class--he was one of those customers who thought if he complained enough, he could get a free upgrade.

My coworker--the manager--politely (but firmly) told him, "Sir, I'm sorry that none of these is ideal for you, but if you want a larger vehicle, you're going to have to pay for an upgrade. I can't give it to you for free."

His response? Verbatim: "Well, I guess managers are only good for s***ing f***ing d***."

I think her response was entirely justified: whirling around, she said, "Sorry, sir, but if you want a car, you're going to have to shut your f***ing mouth." She grabbed his keys and rental contract, spun on her heels, and walked off. He was left standing dumbfounded.

Call me jaded only five years into the service industry, but this sort of an occurrence is far more frequent than you'd expect, and it makes it really difficult to put that plastic Disney smile on for everyone (I used to try to do that...no longer). Never, ever underestimate the level of crap people in the service industry have to deal with.

... There is even less excuse for treating service employees shabbily than there is for them reciprocating.
GML, For once, I am in complete agreement with you! I think you nailed my sentiment exactly. Well said.
This is probably pushing the edge of the forum's TOS, so Anthony/Alan/Eric/etc. feel free to edit or delete this post, but I couldn't help but read all of this through the glasses of an experience of one of my coworkers this morning (technically yesterday morning, but I'm still on "yesterday").

A customer came back down to the counter to complain about a minor problem with his rental car. The CSR gladly switched him into another vehicle. The customer came back down again to complain about yet another problem with this new vehicle. The CSR switched him (a tad less gladly, I would guess) into yet another vehicle. This went on for a total of six vehicle swaps. Finally, the customer asked for the manager--my above-mentioned coworker. He told her that none of the vehicles met his satisfaction and demanded a replacement. At this point, he had exhausted our entire inventory of that particular car class--he was one of those customers who thought if he complained enough, he could get a free upgrade.

My coworker--the manager--politely (but firmly) told him, "Sir, I'm sorry that none of these is ideal for you, but if you want a larger vehicle, you're going to have to pay for an upgrade. I can't give it to you for free."

His response? Verbatim: "Well, I guess managers are only good for s***ing f***ing d***."

I think her response was entirely justified: whirling around, she said, "Sorry, sir, but if you want a car, you're going to have to shut your f***ing mouth." She grabbed his keys and rental contract, spun on her heels, and walked off. He was left standing dumbfounded.

Call me jaded only five years into the service industry, but this sort of an occurrence is far more frequent than you'd expect, and it makes it really difficult to put that plastic Disney smile on for everyone (I used to try to do that...no longer). Never, ever underestimate the level of crap people in the service industry have to deal with.
Great story. Friend of mine was a supervisor for Delta. A very upset pax came up to the counter and started blurting out explatives. Then he told my friend, who is 6'3" and about 240 that he was coming over the counter to whip his butt. My friend asked him, "What date do you want to be stamped with? as he grabbed the date stamper. Last he saw of him the guy was headed back to the bar. Funny how brave the public gets on a six pack~ just visit the lounge on some LD trains.

Great story. Friend of mine was a supervisor for Delta. A very upset pax came up to the counter and started blurting out expletives. Then he told my friend, who is 6'3" and about 240 that he was coming over the counter to whip his butt. My friend asked him, "What date do you want to be stamped with? as he grabbed the date stamper. Last he saw of him the guy was headed back to the bar. Funny how brave the public gets on a six pack~ just visit the lounge on some LD trains.
I always like the one that was in Readers Digest a few years ago about the big-shot business man whose flight was canceled and as he approaches the customer service line to get a new flight he sees it is a very long line. So, he barges right up to the front and announces to the customer service rep who is helping another customer, that he needs to get on the next flight. The rep says, "Sir, you'll have to go to the end of the line and wait your turn."

He yells back at her, "Do you know who I am?"

Without missing a beat, the rep picks up the mike and asks the crowd in line, "we have a gentleman up here who doesn't know who he is. If anyone knows him, please come to the desk and identify him!"

Needless to say, they never saw him again.

Great story. Friend of mine was a supervisor for Delta. A very upset pax came up to the counter and started blurting out expletives. Then he told my friend, who is 6'3" and about 240 that he was coming over the counter to whip his butt. My friend asked him, "What date do you want to be stamped with? as he grabbed the date stamper. Last he saw of him the guy was headed back to the bar. Funny how brave the public gets on a six pack~ just visit the lounge on some LD trains.
I always like the one that was in Readers Digest a few years ago about the big-shot business man whose flight was canceled and as he approaches the customer service line to get a new flight he sees it is a very long line. So, he barges right up to the front and announces to the customer service rep who is helping another customer, that he needs to get on the next flight. The rep says, "Sir, you'll have to go to the end of the line and wait your turn."

He yells back at her, "Do you know who I am?"

Without missing a beat, the rep picks up the mike and asks the crowd in line, "we have a gentleman up here who doesn't know who he is. If anyone knows him, please come to the desk and identify him!"

Needless to say, they never saw him again.
I've heard that one before, but enjoyed reading it again.

Many years ago I supervised an office where one of the employees working the public counter had an employee who was giving her a hard time. When she had enough she came back to me upset about him. When I approached the counter I asked him "is there a problem sir?" His response was "Yes! She's giving me a hard time!" I told him that "I was watching her and she was NOT at all giving you a hard time. What I would consider giving you a hard time would be to have you take a seat and perhaps in a few hours I would see about having someone take care of you!"

As I started to leave the counter he starting yelling at me. I stopped and said to him "if you continue your harrasing behavior I won't hesitate to call the police and have you arrested!" I turned to return to my desk and before I got 4 steps away he started his ranting and raving again. I snapped around and yelled at him "THAT'S IT" and sped back to my desk. By the time I got back to it he left the counter without saying another word and the employee at the counter told me that he was running to the exit so fast that his heals were kicking his *** on the way out!

Over the years I've had many other abusive customer including, a woman who worked for the local hospital who threatened both me and my supervisor by telling us that if we ever wind up in her hospital you'll be sorry! Another customer just because we couldn['t resolve his problem actually called me a "fat honkey." I was so suprised by the comment that I instinctively just kracked up laughing at him as while he was leaving and loud enough to make sure he heard me all the way out! Fortunately though, that first guy was the furthest I ever had to go with an unruly customer!

These are all certainly enjoyable anecdotes regarding customer service, and for the most part, it doesn't seem to conflict with my original thought. Even at Disney, I've had my bad customers. Some were dealt with properly and some were given into with the plastic smile.

A quick observation of the last few posts. In all of these, the service provider was first and formost concerned with providing excellent service. It was improper behavior by the customer that 'set off' the employee. To a degree, I don't have any problem with this. My argument is that service should never default to being crappy - even if the employee is having personal problems.

Even I have had my challenges at Disney. A lady from Grand Prarie, TX wanted to touch the dolphins at EPCOT's Living Seas. I told her that wasn't available for guests. She said she had a brochure that said otherwise. I asked her to fax it to me. She did, and I reviewed it. It was an ad for an upcoming "Dolphin Interaction" educational program that hadn't started yet. Even when it did, it was not a physical interaction. Of course not being able to touch the dolphins immediately ruined her entire vacation and it was our fault. We were under no obligation to do anything about it, but we offered her a couple of concessions out of good will. Unfortunately, this wasn't enough. Somehow, she got a letter off to Michael Eisner who promptly sent it back to Orlando where it landed on my desk to deal with. A copy was sent to the Disney VP of operations who has their own customer service staff. They called me and said they would take care of everything and I didn't need to worry about it any more. One week later, that group called me back, told me the guests were evil and they wouldn't touch her file with a 10 foot pole. After negotiating a special, private deal with the Living Seas director, things seemed to calm down. On the eve of their arrival, I warned the hotel of this group and told them to stand firm with regards to giving them anything. The next day I called to ask how it went. Turns out they comp'ed her a free night ($360!!!) because she found a spider in her room.

There are many many more stories like this out there. It's sad, but the biggest pain in the butt to deal with is someone who is really trying to get something for nothing and scam you because of your reputation for goodwill. It hurts servicing others who are ligitimately trying to play by the rules.

My OP was to snuff out those who interact with customers on a daily basis, but have no will or desire to perform decent service. It's amazing how many of them are still out there. They really need to find a line of work that doesn't involve working for other people.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back