CZ #5 (14) Helper Engine Added in Reno ? UPP 210 Mobile Lab On the Bac

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SubwayNut

Conductor
I'm currently on #5 sitting in the Reno Station (getting towards an hour down here, we arrived on time) as they finish adding a UP Helper locomotive #5295. I assume to take us down through the Sierras.

The back of the train has the strangest car I've ever seen, UPP #210 "Mobile Lab" that's covered partially in solar panels and has a cupola on the back. It has been on the train since we boarded in SLC. We're only going to Trukee so I'll get the train leaving but not the UP locomotive pulling us.

I did some quick reading on this car. Apparently it was rebuilt some time ago from a former Pullman 10-section 1-drawing room car by UP. The car appears to be a dynamometer car, which is used to test locomotive performance and pulling power. The car appears to have undergone a fairly recent rehabilitation, judging from some of the pictures out there.

http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2882814 Here is a picture taken in Cheyenne in 2011. From what I've read, it was parked by the steam shop for a while not being used.

http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=3563969 And here's a more current picture showing the solar panels and fresh paint.

I did some quick reading on this car. Apparently it was rebuilt some time ago from a former Pullman 10-section 1-drawing room car by UP. The car appears to be a dynamometer car, which is used to test locomotive performance and pulling power. The car appears to have undergone a fairly recent rehabilitation, judging from some of the pictures out there.

http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2882814 Here is a picture taken in Cheyenne in 2011. From what I've read, it was parked by the steam shop for a while not being used.

http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=3563969 And here's a more current picture showing the solar panels and fresh paint.
Given the heavy plating at the rear of the car and along the front half, and the associated heavy riveting - any idea what's happening in the car/how it works? (this is especially obvious in the 2nd pic)

Finally got on my computer and the internet, here are some photos:

trukee1.jpg

trukee2.jpg

If i were to guess it is the model design for the Transportation Security Department's super secret train protection car - they just haven't figured out how to get the 105 mm in the turret. "Mobile Lab" is just a ruse to confuse us ...

We are about to get on the CZ in SF to Chicago. Was there a little snow around Truckee and heading up to Donner?

I saw just a bit of snow in your photos by the shadows of the trees? I guess I was concerned that the drought and recent CA warm weather had dried up all of the snow - other than maybe, a smaller amount than usual found at Donner Pass.

We leave Tuesday AM out of SF.

Last edited by a moderator:
Copyright 2013? :blink: :p
Thanks for reminding me! I need to update my watermark.

In terms of snow it's minimal through the Sierras, the purpose of the trip was skiing and we ended up skiing just one day and the only trails open at Sqawl and Apline Meadows are those where they have snowmaking.

I am curious as to whether the westbound CZ requires a helper? -- or was somehow the unit 'tied' to the Mobile Lab car & they just wanted it to remain together? I haven't ridden #5 for many years, so I don't know if this (UP unit in front) is the usual or not. Or, perhaps, one of the Amtrak engines was having trouble?. In any case, an interesting car on the rear!

On the 'snow, or lack thereof'; I rode #6 EMY - DEN on Jan 3 -- lack of snow was startling. I did see that Soda Springs (ski area) was open, but not sure about Sugar Bowl (the higher runs had coverage but I didn't know if they were open or not?). I just came from skiing a week in Vail (CO), where I have a timeshare -- snowed 3 days, clear for 3 :).

Generally adding a freight motor en route is not desirable because you can't maintain normal track speed in most locations. At best a freight motor is going to be limited to 70 MPH, 9 MPH less than track speed in most locations.

Given the heavy plating at the rear of the car and along the front half, and the associated heavy riveting - any idea what's happening in the car/how it works? (this is especially obvious in the 2nd pic)
With this being an old Pullman car, it was built out of riveted steel (hence why these types of cars were called "heavyweight" cars, all steel, vs the newer post war streamlined cars). All the rivets were necessary to hold the steel sides to the framing of the car. When I went back researching this car, it has had lots of work done on it, including all new windows, the solar panels, new paint in the last few years, etc. At one time, this type of car would have been used either in the middle or the rear of a locomotive consist to measure engine pulling performance and document train behavior. The cupola would be where some of the technicians would sit and be able to observe the right of way as well as visual characteristics of the locomotives under load. The real question now is if that's how this car continues to be used, or if it had underwent some sort of change in purpose (why it would be called a mobile lab vs. a dynamometer car).

Generally adding a freight motor en route is not desirable because you can't maintain normal track speed in most locations. At best a freight motor is going to be limited to 70 MPH, 9 MPH less than track speed in most locations.
Definitely agree with you on this! They might be OK in mountainous regions where most speeds are lower, but in the 79 mph stretches it wouldn't be as good. At least in this case, I bet that it didn't slow #5 down too much. I presume that if Amtrak has problems w/an engine(s) & it can't move along, then the host rail line sends one of their units out?, or if Amtrak can get to a station where (such as this case), the host line can add one of their units?. I'm quite sure that Amtrak keeps a spare unit at Denver (or at least used to)? -- any other places along the CZ route (besides the end points) have them?

Generally if an engine dies en route the only option is to grab an engine from the host railroad. In areas where there are multiple frequencies it may be possible to grab an engine off of another train en route. For example, if the Palmetto has engine problems they can grab an engine off of Silver Service to get the train back to DC. In some cases though like the CONO, Zephyr, Builder, Sunset, Eagle, or Chief there is little to no overlap with other routes so this isn't feasible, so you only have host railroad power at your disposal. The days of standby power are also dwindling because supply of locomotives is roughly equal to demand. As more routes are added and the engines age it stretches the fleet thinner and thinner. The next gen high speed diesels that are in process for some state supported services will help ease the strain tremendously.

One of the few benefits a dozen years ago to having the large mail operation was that many trains ran with an additional motor versus what they have now, and you had emergency power in more places. For example you had emergency power in JAX vis a vis a DASH 8 to switch RoadRailers and Express cars, and the same was true in many other places. Those days have long since passed though. Also a train like the Chief would carry three or four motors for road power, so even if you did lose an engine en route you would have acceleration problems, not "we can't make the grade" problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back