CZ#5 Running Very Late

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alang

Train Attendant
I seen earlier that the CZ#5 involved in the accident yesterday afternoon was running 12 hours late...just noticed that it is now 16 hours late (lost 4 hours between PCT and GBB!) What else could be going wrong? My question for the experienced...will today's CZ#5 run late because of the accident? I am boarding tomorrow morning in Nebraska. Thank you!

I seen earlier that the CZ#5 involved in the accident yesterday afternoon was running 12 hours late...just noticed that it is now 16 hours late (lost 4 hours between PCT and GBB!) What else could be going wrong? My question for the experienced...will today's CZ#5 run late because of the accident? I am boarding tomorrow morning in Nebraska. Thank you!
Well I have heard the freight companys care even less about Amtrak OTP if the train is already late.

I would say yesterdays accident would have very little impact on todays CZ#5. #5 generally runs pretty much on time through the midwest. Having said that, anything can happen to delay the progress.

GregL

Well it looks like 5 (13) hasn't even made it to Omaha NE yet. It's estimated to arrive at 8:54 (22 hours + late). It looks like 5 (14) is catching up and right on its tail.

Will they just combine the two trains at one point? What will happen to train 6 (16) - is 5 (13) suppose to turn its equipment into 6 (16) the next day?

Well I have heard the freight companys care even less about Amtrak OTP if the train is already late.
yeah there like amtrak train 5 is already 22 hours behind whats another 15 hours. enough's enough's. wonder how many pax just said screw it and got off early and either took a flight the rest of the way or took greyhound.

yeah there like amtrak train 5 is already 22 hours behind whats another 15 hours. enough's enough's. wonder how many pax just said screw it and got off early and either took a flight the rest of the way or took greyhound.
Very few.

The only major airport in the route is Denver. It's a huge hub, so people getting off have to shell out cab fare and buy a last minute plane ticket and if they don't have the flight they're stuck in the airport or in a hotel for another night anyway.

As for greyhound... Not many people are nuts enough to even think about Greyhound being plausible.

Oh, and if they have checked luggage, that's going to be a hard one to swing.

P005-13 arrived 23 hours and 8 minutes late into Omaha. P005-14 is listed as having a service disruption.

This is really a nightmare for the poor people on the CZ now. I feel sorry for them. However, when they finally get to their destinations, life will continue for them. On the other hand, the family of the grandma, grandpa, 9 year-old granddaughter who were killed in the accident, and the 2 other grandchildren who were injured will never be the same.

they should crake down on railroads so that if a amtrak train is running late do to difficulty's beyond there control like hitting a car etc that the host rr should clear the tracks and give amtrak a highball to help make up time. after all they want amtrak off there tracks as soon as possible yet they stick amtrak in holes and stuff. seams like the host railroads can't get enough of amtrak.

How does Amtrak facilitate crew changes during these difficult times?

What about the engineer and conductor's that are only permitted to work a certain number of hours?

How does Amtrak facilitate crew changes during these difficult times?What about the engineer and conductor's that are only permitted to work a certain number of hours?
They can call conductors/engineer on the extra board and mobilize them on short notice. This can be problematic at times since the crew has to drive to the base at short notice, and if they don't get everybody there they can't go.

If the running crew outlaws while en route they cannot conduct the train any further and the new crew must be mobilized wherever the train is stopped. This means they can get stuck away from a crew change stop and have the new crew meet the train there after they've been briefed on the situation.

Today, its showing that there's a Service Disruption on the 5(14). I had friends from LNK boarding for there first Amtrak trip. Does anyone know the OTP of the 5(14)? They are taking the 6 back and have to ride a bus from GSC to DEN so I'm hoping this part of the trip isn't messed up. :blink: Thanks!

Al, 5(13) will run through to Emeryville to have some mechanical work done and will turn into 6(17). 5(14), meanwhile, will run as far as Reno where it will terminate and be turned for 6(16). Passengers on 5(14) and 6(16) will be bussed between Reno and Emeryville.

Rafi

Last edited by a moderator:
Have a question?? When a train runs this late what is Amtrak's policy when it comes to sleepers and meals for passengers stuck on the train?

Have a question?? When a train runs this late what is Amtrak's policy when it comes to sleepers and meals for passengers stuck on the train?
Sleepers still get their meals and the diner will keep selling food until it is sold out. Trains do carry emergency rations, and they can bring food on board if there's an emergency-- however they will terminate a train (as they did here in Reno) if it is just too dead and out of supplies to continue.

So if you paid for a sleeper and that includes meals and they terminate the train and bus you some where is there a refund? Otherwise that would be one expensive bus ride!

So if you paid for a sleeper and that includes meals and they terminate the train and bus you some where is there a refund? Otherwise that would be one expensive bus ride!
I think if all the normally scheduled meals were already served, and the portion of the trip that was to be taken by bus was done during the daytime, Amtrak might decide that it had already earned the money. If the sleeping-car fare earned included free meals, they might just give you meal money for wherever they stopped the bus to feed ya!

However, I don't make these decisions, so this is just a mostly uneducated guess.

A friend of mine told me the P005-13 was involved in a second grade crossing accident, after the one in Illinois. He said it hit a truck somewhere in Iowa, and that there was fire damage to the lead unit. BNSF had to send out a rescue engine, he said. I don't know what his source was, but that would explain the delay.

Edit: I'm now thinking this may be inaccurate. jis's post makes more sense.

The Capitol Limited also hit a tow truck in Goshen, Indiana last night. Due into WAS 11 hours 59 minutes late at 1:14 am tomorrow. Don't know what's up with that.

Goshen accident: http://www.goshennews.com/local/local_story_196085106.html

And on top of that, there's the 15 hour late Crescent.

Amtrak may need an extra subsidy this year to pay for all the vouchers that they'll be mailing out over the next couple of weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
My first hand experience is that Amtrak will refund a pro-rated portion of the sleeper accomodation price that you paid based upon the ratio of the remaining miles in the trip to the total miles in the trip.

Al, 5(13) will run through to Emeryville to have some mechanical work done and will turn into 6(17). 5(14), meanwhile, will run as far as Reno where it will terminate and be turned for 6(16). Passengers on 5(14) and 6(16) will be bussed between Reno and Emeryville.
According to reports on the Trainorders board 5(13) suffered serious damage in the accident . The car that was hit knocked down a signal bridge which fell on the train damaging the rear unit (P42-150) severely (set out) and the baggage car roofline dented slightly. Then it slammed into the Transdorm damaging it so severely that it had to be set out too, and the Transdorm (39011) from 6(11) was substituted in its place. The Diner (38059) also suffered damage on its side and rear from the signal bridge.

The lead unit (P42-205) which was undamaged other than its pilot, which had to be cut off could not lead anymore. So a BNSF unit (4877) was added to take it to Denver where the Denver protect P42 (197) was used to replace the BNSF unit.

So you bet, 5(13) needs serious repairs and needs to get to Oakland.

5(14) will turn in Reno to become 6(16) and 5(13) will take its passengers to Oakland and point between.

How are things looking after tomorrow? We are scheduled to leave out of SAC on Saturday. Should everything be back to normal by then, if anyone can remember what "normal" is?

How are things looking after tomorrow? We are scheduled to leave out of SAC on Saturday. Should everything be back to normal by then, if anyone can remember what "normal" is?
Saturday they should be all peachy keen. All of the consists will have been turned and serviced and departing between terminal stops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back