CZ, CS and EB

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RailFanLNK

Conductor
Well we are six days away from our honeymoon which means leaving LNK on the CZ, connecting to the CS in SAC and then taking the EB from SEA to CHI for our trip back and the final leg the CZ from CHI back to LNK. I have only been on the CZ from GSC to California once but am very familiar with it from CHI-GSC. So where are the service stops for these trains after GSC westbound and all service and smoke stops on the NB Coast Starlight and EB Empire Builder? We are traveling in sleepers and can't wait for day(s) on the train...we are both so worn out from 2010! Thanks!

Congratulations.

I'm on Empire Builder 8 right now in Eastern Montana. We are running late, so our stops are short. I do not remember all of the smoking stops, but on the EB, there was one at Havre, MT and Whitefish. It looks like there will be smoking stops in Minot and MSP - maybe more.

I was on the CZ and CS last week, and I do not remember where the smoking stops were - I do not smoke and I just got done with the wine tasting on the EB.

The stops that I remember on the CZ were Denver and Reno - however, there were many more.

On the CS, I got on in SAC. I remember a stop the next morning (we were running early), but I did not get off because I was eating breakfast.

I have had pretty good luck with the trains I have taken on this trip. I am on my 7th train (out of 9).

I hope your luck is as good as mine.

Happy Honeymoon!! :wub:

So where are the service stops for these trains after GSC westbound and all service and smoke stops on the NB Coast Starlight?
Stops on the CZ that I recall include Grand Junction, Salt Lake City, Winnemucca, and Reno;

for the CS, Klamath Falls, Eugene, and Portland.

Have a Great Trip!

:hi: Congrats and ready for the adventure on the train! :wub: Im sure Ill miss some but the major "smoke/fresh air stops" on the CZ include:Glenwood Springs/Grand Junction and Salt Lake City in the middle of the night! On the CS you will have the 10 hour layover in SAC, then the next real stop will be Klamath Falls in the AM. After that you usually can get off in Eugene and Salem, then Portland! On the Builder penny mentioned the major stops, there are a couple depending on time keeping where you might get in a quickie (of the other kind! :lol: ), Fargo is usually a fairly long stop, the MSP and on into CHI! Outstanding idea, Im sure you followed Ryans honeymoon on trains, sounds like some folks are marrying the right kind of women! ;)

Thanks everyone, we are not smokers but I do like to know where we can get off and stretch the legs and get some fresh air. Usually I have the routes and my knowledge down to the nth degree, but time just hasn't allowed it. In the Lincoln Journal Star today there was a large full page article in our travel section of taking the "rails" to Glacier National Park. A very well written and positive article on trains. WE both are so burnt out from 2010. Its all been good other than a death in the family, just been so much stuff.

:hi: Congrats and ready for the adventure on the train! :wub: Im sure Ill miss some but the major "smoke/fresh air stops" on the CZ include:Glenwood Springs/Grand Junction and Salt Lake City in the middle of the night! On the CS you will have the 10 hour layover in SAC, then the next real stop will be Klamath Falls in the AM. After that you usually can get off in Eugene and Salem, then Portland! On the Builder penny mentioned the major stops, there are a couple depending on time keeping where you might get in a quickie (of the other kind! :lol: ), Fargo is usually a fairly long stop, the MSP and on into CHI!
Depending on timekeeping, MKE is sometimes a stop on 8. It almost always is on 7.

On the EB, Wenatchee is a smoke stop, and if you're awake, the switching stop in Spokane where the two halves of the EB are joined is over an hour long if both are on time. Along with the others mentioned, I've seen smoke stops at Shelby, MT and Williston, ND. Minot and Minneapolis-St. Paul are service stops, and I think Winona, MN is also. And I've been aboard for a smoke stop in Milwaukee as well. Have fun!

Thanks everyone, we are not smokers but I do like to know where we can get off and stretch the legs and get some fresh air. Usually I have the routes and my knowledge down to the nth degree, but time just hasn't allowed it. In the Lincoln Journal Star today there was a large full page article in our travel section of taking the "rails" to Glacier National Park. A very well written and positive article on trains. WE both are so burnt out from 2010. Its all been good other than a death in the family, just been so much stuff.
Congrats on the wedding, I can't think of a better way to start a marriage, or spend a honeymoon for that matter.(or anniversaries,b-days,holidays.....) Maybe the full page ad is something of a good omen to start you guys off with.Once again Congrats and Good Luck. just remember Easy Does It! Enjoy!!

Well we are six days away from our honeymoon which means leaving LNK on the CZ, connecting to the CS in SAC and then taking the EB from SEA to CHI for our trip back and the final leg the CZ from CHI back to LNK. I have only been on the CZ from GSC to California once but am very familiar with it from CHI-GSC. So where are the service stops for these trains after GSC westbound and all service and smoke stops on the NB Coast Starlight and EB Empire Builder? We are traveling in sleepers and can't wait for day(s) on the train...we are both so worn out from 2010! Thanks!
Always wonder what would happen if pax were forced to go Chi-West Coast with no smoking stops! Would you end up with a train of half-crazed zombies?

Always wonder what would happen if pax were forced to go Chi-West Coast with no smoking stops! Would you end up with a train of half-crazed zombies?
No. The smokers would ***** (like they did when on-board smoking was eliminated) and probably not book. And then other people would buy the "available" tickets.

You'd probably end up with a train of brand-new non-smokers. Once they've gone all the way through withdrawal, and survived, there's no need to ever smoke again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back