CZ/EB Assistance

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NAVYBLUE

Lead Service Attendant
After taking our first Amtrak LD (SWC/CARD/CL/SWC) last December from LAX-WAS-LAX to avoid the TSA gropefest/sardine flights to visit family in MD/PA and CT for Christmas we have become fans.

This year we are doing the CZ-LSL-LSL-EB-CS from EMY-CHI-SPG and return.

1. What type of long term (29 days) parking is available at EMY from someone who has been there ?

2. I am aware of the Parlour car on the CS. Are there any other differences on these consists from the Superliner/Viewliners on the SWC/CARD and CL ?

3. Any highlights on the routes I should specifically look out for ?

4. We have a $400 voucher due to a generator failure on the SWC between ABQ-LAX last year resulting in no AC/air flow or working toilets in our sleeper. Do I have to make a reservation with a live person or can the voucher be inputted online.

Thanks to everyone in advance for any assistance.

NAVYBLUE

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as highlights go, look out for the high bridge in North Dakota, I don't know it's name but it's really cool to go over it. Also Glacier National Park. Too bad you'll have trouble seeing Mount Shasta on the 11.

Otherwise, ralax in Big Sky Country, it's great.

As far as I know, the voucher may have to be redeemed in person or by calling a Customer Rep agent. I dont think the online system can handle vouchers.

2. I am aware of the Parlour car on the CS. Are there any other differences on these consists from the Superliner/Viewliners on the SWC/CARD and CL ?
Well the LSL will have a real dining car, unlike the Diner-Lite car you saw on the Cardinal. They can cook steaks to order, omelette's, and such. You might even get lucky and bump into 8400, the proto-type Viewliner Dining car that is now testing things for the new Viewliner dining cars that will start arriving next year.

Tons. Probably too many to name, but a few things would be Mount Shasta on the CS, the Sierra's on the CZ, the Rockies on both the EB & CZ. In particular on the EB, be on the lookout for the monument that marks the continental divide. On the Lake Shore you'll catch a glimpse of Lake Erie if you're up early enough going eastbound. You run along the Erie Canal for many miles and can still see the locks that are active even today. Crossing the Mississippi on both the EB & CZ.

4. We have a $400 voucher due to a generator failure on the SWC between ABQ-LAX last year resulting in no AC/air flow or working toilets in our sleeper. Do I have to make a reservation with a live person or can the voucher be inputted online.
At present there is still no way to do that online, so you'd have to visit with an agent at some point. You could start out on the phone, but eventually you'd have to visit a station to turn in the voucher. The only way around that is if you live many miles from a station, then you can speak with Customer Service, not the regular phone agents, and they'll set things up for you to mail it in. But if visiting a station isn't a big drive, it's much easier.

The mountains in California, Nevada and Colorado are spectacular.

The vinyards in upstate New York and the area along the Mohawk

River (on the right side on eastbound trains) is quite scenic.

I hope you have an enjoyable trip.

After taking our first Amtrak LD (SWC/CARD/CL/SWC) last December from LAX-WAS-LAX to avoid the TSA gropefest/sardine flights to visit family in MD/PA and CT for Christmas we have become fans.

This year we are doing the CZ-LSL-LSL-EB-CS from EMY-CHI-SPG and return.

1. What type of long term (29 days) parking is available at EMY from someone who has been there ?

Thanks to everyone in advance for any assistance.

NAVYBLUE
point 3. what I know about scenic points on the route.

The run up and down the Hudson River from Albany to New York City is extremely "scenic" - I think many locals and LD riders have seen this stretch of river so many times that they don't recognize how beautiful it is. Also historic. West Point (where all the General Officers come from) and SIng-Sing prison ("Sent up the river" in the old movies and books)

The Mississippi from La Crosse to MSP - you'll miss much westbound the the EB because of darkness, eastbound better views of the Herons and Bald Eagles and Lake Pepin.

On the EB westbound crossing the Cascades in the early morning. Also Marias pass the day before.

PS - are you NAVY related ? - If so PM me if you wish.

At present there is still no way to do that online, so you'd have to visit with an agent at some point. You could start out on the phone, but eventually you'd have to visit a station to turn in the voucher. The only way around that is if you live many miles from a station, then you can speak with Customer Service, not the regular phone agents, and they'll set things up for you to mail it in. But if visiting a station isn't a big drive, it's much easier.
I had a voucher once, & talked to several agents on the phone who kept telling me I could only turn in a voucher to a ticket agent (I live probably 400 miles from the nearest station, so that wasn't happening). It was only because of this board that I knew I could mail it in. I kept calling until I got an agent who knew how to do this & set it up for me.

There are parking garages near the station. However, I know nothing about them. What is your actual origin point? There are busses into Emeryville from several locations which you may be able to use, or possibly even take one of the Amtrak-California trains into Emeryville or Sacramento. Although we go out of Emeryville regularly, we do not have a car here and get there by dedicated bus from the Ferry Building station in San Francisco, so I know nothing about parking around here other than it is normally expensive and that parking on the street overnight can frequently get you a broken window and anything stealable stolen.

There are parking garages near the station. However, I know nothing about them. What is your actual origin point? There are busses into Emeryville from several locations which you may be able to use, or possibly even take one of the Amtrak-California trains into Emeryville or Sacramento. Although we go out of Emeryville regularly, we do not have a car here and get there by dedicated bus from the Ferry Building station in San Francisco, so I know nothing about parking around here other than it is normally expensive and that parking on the street overnight can frequently get you a broken window and anything stealable stolen.
GH, I actually live in Las Vegas, NV. I was hoping to come into EMY couple days early, find somewhere secure to park my truck for (30) days, stay at a nearby hotel and then taxi to the EMY station.

If push came to shove, I could park truck at LAX station (which I did last Christmas trip back east) when I went LAX-BWI and take the CS to start my trip, arrive at 9:00 PM in EMY, hotel it and then taxi to EMY in the morning.

BUT, I was going to go to EMY (2) days early and do the San Francisco tourist thing before our EMY departure so a secure parking area would be handy.

NAVYBLUE

GH, I actually live in Las Vegas, NV. I was hoping to come into EMY couple days early, find somewhere secure to park my truck for (30) days, stay at a nearby hotel and then taxi to the EMY station.

If push came to shove, I could park truck at LAX station (which the did last Christmas trip back east) when I went LAX-BWI and take the CS to start my trip, arrive at 9:00 PM in EMY, hotel it and then taxi to EMY in the morning.

BUT, I was going to go to EMY (2) days early and do the San Francisco tourist thing before our EMY departure so a secure parking area would be handy.

NAVYBLUE
I checked the Amtrak site and it says there are 60 long term parking spots.

It has been a long time, but I did something similar to NavyBlue. Drove down from Seattle and parked at Emeryville to take the CZ. At that time, the Amtrak lot was a fenced, open air lot just north of the station. I seem to recall having to tell the agent that I parked there and getting something to put on the dash. Don't know if that lot is still there and still is the one Amtrak uses, but Amtrak does claim to still have 60 long term spots.

If push came to shove, I could park truck at LAX station (which the did last Christmas trip back east) when I went LAX-BWI and take the CS to start my trip, arrive at 9:00 PM in EMY, hotel it and then taxi to EMY in the morning.

NAVYBLUE
I checked the Amtrak site and it says there are 60 long term parking spots.

It has been a long time, but I did something similar to NavyBlue. Drove down from Seattle and parked at Emeryville to take the CZ. At that time, the Amtrak lot was a fenced, open air lot just north of the station. I seem to recall having to tell the agent that I parked there and getting something to put on the dash. Don't know if that lot is still there and still is the one Amtrak uses, but Amtrak does claim to still have 60 long term spots.
Thanks. I am going to try to get the actual station phone number and try to speak with someone with at least a triple digit IQ to try to nail down the specifics and truth about the long term parking there. For those who might think I am a little too hard/harsh, I spent 15 years in service oriented jobs after my (28) years in the NAVY.

I am appalled at the number of people in the service industries who don't know anything about their jobs outside of the bare minimum. As an example when I was a McDonalds asst manager even though I didn't live in that part of town, I still knew where the nearest pharmacy, parking garages/lots, gas stations, library, etc where to help out of town customers who needed more than a Big Mac. I guess I took my jobs more seriously than some.

NAVYBLUE

I am appalled at the number of people in the service industries who don't know anything about their jobs outside of the bare minimum. As an example when I was a McDonalds asst manager even though I didn't live in that part of town, I still knew where the nearest pharmacy, parking garages/lots, gas stations, library, etc where to help out of town customers who needed more than a Big Mac. I guess I took my jobs more seriously than some.

NAVYBLUE

Sadly, at this point in US history people in many positions (McDonalds does come to mind) simply aren't paid well enough or given good enough working conditions or given enough opportunity for advancement for it to be *worth their while* to take their jobs seriously. I've stopped expecting much from people who are being treated badly enough at work that they have little motivation to keep their employer in business.

Amtrak employees, on the other hand, are paid well enough, they really should take their jobs seriously, and they usually do. So I expect you to get accurate information from Amtrak; good luck.

NAVYBLUE

Sadly, at this point in US history people in many positions (McDonalds does come to mind) simply aren't paid well enough or given good enough working conditions or given enough opportunity for advancement for it to be *worth their while* to take their jobs seriously. I've stopped expecting much from people who are being treated badly enough at work that they have little motivation to keep their employer in business.

Amtrak employees, on the other hand, are paid well enough, they really should take their jobs seriously, and they usually do. So I expect you to get accurate information from Amtrak; good luck.
Some senior Greyhound drivers are dead-loyal to ther company and take their job seriously, not to mention busfanning for leisure. The newer on-call drivers may be the opposite though. Just something I've observed. I've have some great drivers on long runs.

One could probably say that about OBS employees and to a lessor extent maybe station employees; but most phone agents aren't getting paid handsomely. Sure, probably still better than say a clerk at McDonalds, but they're not earning the big bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back