Dallas Houston Run Time

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But, as mentioned before, there is really only population in Corsicana to serve. Hardly justification for such an expensive undertaking.
The huge populations of Houston, and Dallas/Fort Worth, should supply ample traffic to support that route without the need for intermediate stops to support it.

I was perusing the Museum of Timetables, and noticed that Amtrak's 1971 Texas Chief ran from Houston to Fort Worth in 5 hours and 48 minutes, with a little more padding on the Southbound run. It made several stops enroute on its (mostly) Santa Fe routing.......
The primary advantage of rail over flying is the fact that it can service intermediate stations. How on Earth can a 6 hour Dallas - Houston train be more attractive than an hour long flight or 4 hour drive?
So, you just threw safety and comfort down the drain? Not to mention extra time to/from the airport and security? Really, planes don't work for such short trips, Greyhound (NOT Megabus) is the carrier that rules ID-45. So trains got room in the market if they would operate.

In the 1930s there actually was a train operated by the MP (I&GN) and T&P called the TEXAS TRIANGLE. You could go Dallas/Ft. Worth to Houston or San Antonio or Houston to San Antonio. The funnel point was Valley Junction.

Direct Dallas to Houston rail service was mainly provided by the SP (T&NO/H&TC) or the Burlington-Rock Island. At one time, you could also make the trip by the Katy and the Santa Fe on slower, more indirect routes.

In the 1930s there actually was a train operated by the MP (I&GN) and T&P called the TEXAS TRIANGLE. You could go Dallas/Ft. Worth to Houston or San Antonio or Houston to San Antonio. The funnel point was Valley Junction.

Direct Dallas to Houston rail service was mainly provided by the SP (T&NO/H&TC) or the Burlington-Rock Island. At one time, you could also make the trip by the Katy and the Santa Fe on slower, more indirect routes.
Now THAT is what we need! It's a bit too slow for SAS-HOU though, but DAL-Valley Junction could use some upgrades. Intregated excellence!

I know that the BNSF line is 40 mph for freight and 60 for passenger. How much funding would it take to get it up to 79 mph?

Now THAT is what we need! It's a bit too slow for SAS-HOU though, but DAL-Valley Junction could use some upgrades. Intregated excellence!
The Texas Triangle was an overnight mail train and was very slow. It had through sleepers Houston to Fort Worth and San Antonio. The train was discontinued in the 1940's. Much of the route has been abandoned in favor of other more direct routings. You could get from San Antonio to Dallas by going through Valley Jct and Hearne but it would take around 6 to 7 hours, little difference from the current Eagle. Houston to Dallas on the UP(T&NO) would not route through Valley Jct, but would continue straight north from Bryan on the former T&NO route to Hearne. The route from Bryan through Valley Jct. then over to Hearne is the former MP route and would be longer and slower. There are many routes available in Texas between various end points, but just how many of these do you want to spend the money on to bring them up to passenger train standards? As hard as it is just to maintain what little we have and even harder to start up any kind of corridor service, you have to concentrate your efforts on the most direct and useful routes.

I know that the BNSF line is 40 mph for freight and 60 for passenger. How much funding would it take to get it up to 79 mph?
I would strongly suspect that by the time you got the line up to 79 mph, you would probably be 90% of the way to what it would take to have a 110 mph limit.

A complete rail relay would be strongly recommended. Throw in a major tie and surfacing job, crossing signals an most/all road crossings that currently do not have them, The signal system would need upgrade or replacement. The current signal system is an automatic block and probably the minimum necessary to meet the 1947 ICC order to prevent the speed limit from being reduced to 59 mph. The limit then became 79 mph, which was probably not too closely observed in thte 40's, 50's, and 60's, a practice no longer possible with the much closer oversight than existed in those years.

It would probably take a 90 mph limit to reliably meet the 4 hour schedule of the 1950's, which already takes you beyond the requirements for 79 mph. Signal wise, I don't htink there is any difference between the requirements for 90 mph and 110 mph.

planes don't work for such short trips
Clearly they do, when the companies are making money and have high frequencies. whether or not they would remain competitive if other options existed or not, they are currently attracting paying passengers, and that's what matters.
Well, I don't ever fly such short distances and I think it is foolish to do so. If they wanna do it then they can give their money to the airlines.

The Texas Triangle was an overnight mail train and was very slow. It had through sleepers Houston to Fort Worth and San Antonio. The train was discontinued in the 1940's. Much of the route has been abandoned in favor of other more direct routings. You could get from San Antonio to Dallas by going through Valley Jct and Hearne but it would take around 6 to 7 hours, little difference from the current Eagle. Houston to Dallas on the UP(T&NO) would not route through Valley Jct, but would continue straight north from Bryan on the former T&NO route to Hearne. The route from Bryan through Valley Jct. then over to Hearne is the former MP route and would be longer and slower. There are many routes available in Texas between various end points, but just how many of these do you want to spend the money on to bring them up to passenger train standards? As hard as it is just to maintain what little we have and even harder to start up any kind of corridor service, you have to concentrate your efforts on the most direct and useful routes.
Maybe that isn't such a good choice after all.

And give their money to the airlines, they do.

In a NYT article from this past August, there was a very near article about how Acela had contributed heavily to the increase in market share along the NEC.

They don't share the numbers from WAS to BOS, but they do from WAS to NYP then from NYP to BOS. It really wouldn't be fair to extrapolate directly to WAS to BOS because NYP is really the magnet destination here.

WAS to NYP, the market share rose from 37 to 75% in 12 years. That's huge! Train time is around 2 hours and 45 minutes while flight time is around 1 hr 20.

Success from NYP to BOS is similar, though with longer train time the market share grew a bit less.

So, yes. People are getting train travel. But all this work on the NEC was done on the backbone of 100 years of railroading with no interruption in passenger service or the loss of customers who understand. Even despite major infrastructure deterioration and changes, the backbone remained.

There is no such backbone in Texas, which could be argued as a benefit. Really, a purpose built ROW exclusive to passengers, with no grade crossings would have HUGE long term benefits.

But the distances are still 50% greater than the NEC, requiring 200 MPH service and decades to compete with the airlines.

And don't think Southwest would allow any of this without a fight.

Last edited by a moderator:

But the distances are still 50% greater than the NEC, requiring 200 MPH service and decades to compete with the airlines.

DAL-HOU is only 250 miles, very similar to NYP-WAS. I don't see the big problem here. If Greyhound can make loads of money on this route, Amtrak should jump in the fray. If we have to fight WN, we'll at least try our best.

Does anyone know why the Texas Eagle used to run Navasota - Hempstead - Houston instead of Navasota - Spring - Houston, even though the distance is about the same and the tracks through Spring were in much better shape? Hypothetically, if the Dallas to Houston section of the Texas Eagle was brought back, which line would be more ideal?

Does anyone know why the Texas Eagle used to run Navasota - Hempstead - Houston instead of Navasota - Spring - Houston, even though the distance is about the same and the tracks through Spring were in much better shape? Hypothetically, if the Dallas to Houston section of the Texas Eagle was brought back, which line would be more ideal?
Like I said before. UP uses these lines directionally. The Hempstead line is north bound only. The Spring line may be bi-directional. I have no idea. But the big UP yard is in Spring. The line out through Hempstead is used only for traffic relief and junk trains. And I think it was sold to Metro long ago, but UP still uses it.

Like I said before. UP uses these lines directionally. The Hempstead line is north bound only. The Spring line may be bi-directional. I have no idea. But the big UP yard is in Spring. The line out through Hempstead is used only for traffic relief and junk trains. And I think it was sold to Metro long ago, but UP still uses it.
But why was the Hempstead line chosen over the Spring line for the Texas Eagle from 1988-1995, especially considering that the Spring line was in better shape? How fast did the Eagle travel from Navasota to Houston anyway, 40? 60?

I believe the train used to stop in College Station home to Texas A&M University, a really college and the source of a good bit of the passengers on the Houston to Dallas route.

But why was the Hempstead line chosen over the Spring line for the Texas Eagle from 1988-1995, especially considering that the Spring line was in better shape? How fast did the Eagle travel from Navasota to Houston anyway, 40? 60?
Probably, because at that time the SP controlled the Hempstead line and the MoPac controlled the Spring line and Amtrak was dealing with the SP. Both lines converge at Navasota and MoPac had trackage rights to Bryan/College Station after which they went back to their own line via Valley Jct. The SP want directly to Hearne and on to Dallas. Now of course UP controls all this so traffic patterns have changed dramatically. I think UP runs most traffic via Valley Jct. I believe the Bryan to Hearne SP line is little used. This would of course throw another monkey wrench into any plans to run passenger trains on the line. Amtrak might have to buy the Bryan to Hearne segment. The Eagle's speed was probably 60-70mph. I actually rode it on a trip to St Louis. The track was in decent shape at that time. Best option for Houston to Dallas service is still the BNSF line. With Houston's expansion to the north you could add a suburban stop in Tomball. You could run a bus feeder from College Station and Huntsville to N. Zulch. And you could add stops at Corsicana and Waxahachie for suburban Dallas. I have looked at this line and it is in good shape. It would just need sprucing up for passenger trains and some grade crossing eliminations in the Houston and Dallas area's. It's not that busy as BNSF has other lines that carry the heavy traffic. It would be a bargain basement start up compared to most.

Don't believe I shall ever see the day when Texas has a train from Houston to Dallas-Ft. Worth metroplex. Just hoping to see daily Sunset Ltd in 2015.

My fellow Texans just can not see the benefit of rain transportation. While there are some short spurts of excitement about high speed rail and maybe the Lone Star commuter service between San Antonio and Austin (Georgetown), they simply do not have the support to divert any money from our highway transportation funds.

To change this mind set we need to develop a strong rail advocacy ground within the state.

Probably, because at that time the SP controlled the Hempstead line and the MoPac controlled the Spring line and Amtrak was dealing with the SP. Both lines converge at Navasota and MoPac had trackage rights to Bryan/College Station after which they went back to their own line via Valley Jct. The SP want directly to Hearne and on to Dallas. Now of course UP controls all this so traffic patterns have changed dramatically. I think UP runs most traffic via Valley Jct. I believe the Bryan to Hearne SP line is little used. This would of course throw another monkey wrench into any plans to run passenger trains on the line. Amtrak might have to buy the Bryan to Hearne segment. The Eagle's speed was probably 60-70mph. I actually rode it on a trip to St Louis. The track was in decent shape at that time. Best option for Houston to Dallas service is still the BNSF line. With Houston's expansion to the north you could add a suburban stop in Tomball. You could run a bus feeder from College Station and Huntsville to N. Zulch. And you could add stops at Corsicana and Waxahachie for suburban Dallas. I have looked at this line and it is in good shape. It would just need sprucing up for passenger trains and some grade crossing eliminations in the Houston and Dallas area's. It's not that busy as BNSF has other lines that carry the heavy traffic. It would be a bargain basement start up compared to most.
The BNSF line is rated 60 for pax and 40 for freight...doesn't seem to be in very good shape, whereas the UP route is 79 for pax for the most part, except Navasota - Hempstead - Houston is 45 for pax and 40 for freight. This is why I am asking about Navasota - Spring - Houston. That line seems to support much faster speeds. The UP line is about 15 miles longer than the BNSF line, but seems like it already can support sustained passenger speeds. In addition, it serves College Station/Texas A&M directly. I would believe that these were the reasons why Amtrak chose the UP route instead of the BNSF route for the Texas Eagle to begin with.

Are you sure about that? Why would there be a passenger speed rating on a line that doesn't carry passenger trains? Even when they detour a passenger train, they end up going the max freight speed.

Are you sure about that? Why would there be a passenger speed rating on a line that doesn't carry passenger trains? Even when they detour a passenger train, they end up going the max freight speed.
I obtained the speeds from the TXDOT high-speed rail study- http://www.scribd.com/doc/71621990/TxDOT-Overview-of-Houston-To-Dallas-High-Speed-Rail. It has an overview of current alignments.
You are correct in that the reason Amtrak chose the SP line was to serve College Station as it provided substantial patronage. CS even built a special shelter for the train. Going back in history though, the reason for all this in the first place was because Amtrak discontinued the Lone Star which had served Houston for decades as the Texas Chief before Amtrak(Hou-Ft Worth-OKC-KC-Chi). It was a very popular train. So first they gave Houston a connection to the Eagle(which was then called the Inter-American) at Temple using the Lone Star route between Houston and Temple. This didn't work out, so then they dreamed up the Dallas connection. It lasted a few years then they dropped it. Now we have a bus that connects Houston to the Eagle at Longview. Meanwhile, the Heartland Flyer is using the route of the Texas Chief/Lone Star between Fort Worth and OKC. I rode the Eagle 'bus' last December between Houston and Longview. We had maybe a dozen people on board. It will be along time before this becomes a train again. When the MoPac ran the Eagles there were three sections, DFW, SAS and Houston. They combined at Palestine and Longview. Now one train does it all, but it takes much longer to make the run and Houston gets a bus. As for Houston-Dallas service..........don't hold your breath. lol.

One problem with the Hosuton - Longview bus (in my understanding, and I may be wrong) is that you can only use it in conjunction with a rail trip.

So that basically means the bus is missing out on the short-haul traffic that always helps fill a handful of extra seats on a train.

And it is not only that you need to take a train to catch the bus, but you need to do so via Longview. So for example if you want to go from New Orleans to Galveston, the most logical thing is to take the Sunset to Houston and then the bus into Galveston. But no, Amtrak insists on routing me via Longview (and going via Chicago to get there, that is almost three days of travel for something that could be done in about 8 hours). If you really want to keep people off a bus, this is the way to do it.

One problem with the Hosuton - Longview bus (in my understanding, and I may be wrong) is that you can only use it in conjunction with a rail trip.So that basically means the bus is missing out on the short-haul traffic that always helps fill a handful of extra seats on a train.

And it is not only that you need to take a train to catch the bus, but you need to do so via Longview. So for example if you want to go from New Orleans to Galveston, the most logical thing is to take the Sunset to Houston and then the bus into Galveston. But no, Amtrak insists on routing me via Longview (and going via Chicago to get there, that is almost three days of travel for something that could be done in about 8 hours). If you really want to keep people off a bus, this is the way to do it.
The best way to get to Galveston is to rent a car as even Greyhound no longer goes there. The Lone Star bus requires 24hrs notice to pick up or deliver you there and it only connects with the eastbound train at noon.

The shortcomings with the Longview bus are more than just what you describe. It does not pick up or discharge passengers anywhere along the Hwy 59 route to Longview. Such cities as Lufkin and Nacogdoches could provide additional passengers. It even stops outside of Nacogdoches for a rest stop for 30 minutes. The schedule allows 4hr35min for the trip, but that is with two 30 minute stops. The other is outside Longview where the driver advises people to stock up with food before getting on the train. Most of the coach passengers do just that. On my trip there were only two of us going sleeper.

Oops, I stand corrected, Amtrak lists Nacogdoches as a stop. Station is listed as the Exxon gas station.

The shortcomings with the Longview bus are more than just what you describe. It does not pick up or discharge passengers anywhere along the Hwy 59 route to Longview. Such cities as Lufkin and Nacogdoches could provide additional passengers. It even stops outside of Nacogdoches for a rest stop for 30 minutes. The schedule allows 4hr35min for the trip, but that is with two 30 minute stops. The other is outside Longview where the driver advises people to stock up with food before getting on the train. Most of the coach passengers do just that. On my trip there were only two of us going sleeper.

Oops, I stand corrected, Amtrak lists Nacogdoches as a stop. Station is listed as the Exxon gas station.
That caught my eye - my daughter goes to school at Stephen F Austin State U in Nacogdoches, and I'd love for her to have a way to come visit without driving (even though the drive is just 3 hours). But there isn't a bus to catch the 8:28am westbound Texas Eagle... just one for the 6:15pm eastbound.

Who at Amtrak decided that the feeder bus for East Texas should only be available for destinations East of Texas? No wonder it's empty!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back