Dallas to North East

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am so very new to traveling by train and would love some guidance. We are thinking of taking train from Dallas to New York and Boston. Any particular opinions on this would be greatly appreciated. I assume we have to go through Chicago first but then should we take train to Boston then to NY and back to Dallas or should we take train from Chicago to NY to Boston and back to Dallas from Boston. Would one route save money over another possibly?

The cost can vary depending on the demand on the exact days you're traveling. Check out both ways (and a few days on either side if your dates are flexible).

I love the ride up the Hudson when leaving New York on the Lakeshore Limited. That would put you going to Boston first.

In the summer it is fine to take the Lake Shore from New York westbound. The long days will give you daylight through to Utica so you get to see most of the Mohawk Valley in addition to the Hudson Valley. In the winter you definitely wish to go the other way, or you will miss part of the upper Hudson Valley and all of the Mohawk Valley to darkness.

It is a very enjoyable ride indeed and if the Eagle is on time you have plenty of time to explore the area around Chicago Union and take on a good Supper; of course trying to decide what to eat and where will be the dilemma!

Nice trip! You can use amsnag.net which was developed by one of our AU Members to check fares and room prices for up to 30 days @ a time! As was said, prices can vary by day and if you're flexible in your travel dates you can save as Mich as several hundreds of dollars!

I agree with jis that the Lake Shore Ltd from NY to Chi is a nice ride in the summer! Perhaps you may want to consider taking the Texas Eagle to Chicago, change to the Capitol Ltd overnight to Washington(Very nice scenery in the morning into DC) and then ride on a Regional Train or Acela to NY or even all the way to Boston!

Lots of great info and advice on this site so please read some of the trip reports and threads!

Don't hesitate to ask questions, we love to help train folks out!

Last edited by a moderator:
I strongly agree with Jim's suggestion of taking the Cap one way or the other and experiencing the Northeast Corridor, an icon of American railroading history.

Definitly a jealous-worthy trip. Obviously, TE to CHI, but CHI to BOS on the LSL followed by perhaps a nice run on the NEC to NYP, then I would personally try the Cardinal from NYP (or WAS) to CHI via Washington DC.

Thanks for the info., so much to decide and will definitely check out amsnag.net. We were planning to do this in September but just met someone who said we should wait till mid October and see fall colors but afraid it might be too cool for this Texas girl by then.

Btw, I'm getting confused trying to remember the abbreviations for train stations with the train names. Is there a good place to go to decipher them all

For New England colors, the most dependable dates to aim for would be Columbus Day. Sure, the leaves can last longer, but year after year, that's the peak for most of where you'll be. I can't speak for south of NYC. I'm doing NYP to CHI via WAS on the Cardinal, so that I can enjoy the West Virginia scenery. Not mentioned was the possibility of timing things so that you have a few hours in Washington. Union station is truly grand, and is right next to the Capital; across the lawn from the Smithsonian. All within walking distance. Even the Vietnam Memorial, though that's a good long walk. It's all really quite a sight! Enjoy.

I forgot to mention weather. Early October can be very pleasant, especially on a sunny day. Short sleeves can be adequate. However, it certainly can be quite chilly (windy too, especially in the cities). I wouldn't let that put you off. Bring a sweater and some sort of wind breaker. You'll learn why we New Englanders are so crusty!

I did a DAL to NYP via New Orleans. It required an overnight in New Orleans, then on the Crescent to New York.

It was a good change of pace from the Dallas - Chicago - New York trip.

I sat in the SAS station for a long time until the Sunset Limited arrived. I was allowed to board (sleeper)

soon after the arrival. As I recall, I was asleep before departure from SAS.

Thanks for all the help, the route to NYP thru New Orleans sounds worth looking into. I have another question and like I said this travel by train is so new to me. I noticed that when I travel to Boston from New York City or visa versa, there is no baggage claim so you are only allowed a carry on. Am I reading this right and what is the best way to deal with this? Would it be better to take a bus between these two cities instead. Thanks

There is only one train between Boston and New York which carries a baggage car, and it operates in the middle of the night (leave Boston 9:30 pm, arrive NYP 2:15 am). However, you don't have to ride that train in order to use its baggage car. Just take your luggage to the station the evening before you plan to depart and check it then. It will be sent on the night train's baggage car and it will be available for pickup when you get to New York City the next day.

I would plan to have your luggage checked in one hour before that night train departs. From Boston heading south it is train 67 leaving BOS at 9:30 pm; from the south it is train 66 leaving WAS at 10:10 pm and leaving NYP at 2:40 am.

ETA: In case you're concerned that your baggage might "walk" while it is waiting for you in New York, this is actually a very rare occurrence. Amtrak is very good about requiring verification and matching luggage checks before it will release checked luggage; much stricter than the airlines. Even at the small stations. (So, don't lose your claim checks!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back