Dallas Union Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Engine58

Train Attendant
Is anyone familiar with Dallas Union Station? I know that you can check bags at the station, but will they hold your carry-ons(somewhat like Red Cap service)? We would like to walk the area around the station sans our bags. The stations website only promotes the catering/wedding hall portion of the station and does not have much about the rails.

Any info is appreciated.

There are several of our members that Live in the DFW Area and know all the Details about Union station, One of them, saxman, even works as a Volunteer Station Aide when he's not off Flying Planes or Riding Trains! (Hes an Airline Pilot by trade!)Until one of them weighs in, Ive been in this Station many Times while riding the Texas Eagles so will attempt to answer Some of your Inquiries!

The Agent @ Union Station Loads/Unloads Bags on the Eagles. There are DART Light Rail Trains, TRE (to/from Ft. Worth)Trains and the Two Eagles that use this Station plus Many Freights! (The UP Line runs through Arlington to Ft. Worth past Cowboy Stadium, Six Flags and the texas Ranger Ball Park and BNSF goes Via Irving (same as the TRE Trains ) towards Ft. Worth and Points West! The Amtrak part of the Station is the Ground Level/Basement (for Blacks back in the Bad Old Seg Days) with Wolfgang Puck Catering occupying the Upstairs, which is Closed to the Public, where the Plush Passenger Waiting Room (White ) used to be in the Segregation Days!

You can Day Check your Luggage with the Amtrak Agent in the Waiting Room for the New $4 per Piece Fee that Amtrak has just put into place! Its' only 2 Blocks to Dealy Plaza and the JFK Book Depository Musuem and theres a Pretty Good Deli next to the station, think it's Cindys Deli! Day Passes for DART and TRE are a good Deal and if you go out to Mckinney Avenue on DART (City Center Underground Station) there are old Timey Street Cars and Upscale Shopping Stores and Eateries and Bistros!

The West End Entertainment District is also close to Union Station and you can ride DART there or even walk, it's only a few blocks! When we had our Mini-Gathering in DFW Last Jan., we did lots of these activities but in all Honesty Ft. Worth has more to see for Tourists than Dallas in my Opinion! YMMV

Last edited by a moderator:
I went in and out of Union Station every day. I do not recall seeing lockers available, but there is a sorta backhand trick you can use. You can walk two blocks from Union Station to the Omni or the Hyatt on the other side of the tracks and check your bags there, just say you're waiting to check in or something to that effect, they probably won't think twice about it. Go explore, and collect your belongings when you're ready to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes you can check your bags for $4 each at any station that offers checked baggage. Then go do as you please after that. Everyone else seemed to hit all other points of things to do. A DART Day Pass is $5. Or if you only ride DART between 9:30 AM and 2:30 PM you can get a pass for only $1.75.

I've day checked my bag in Dallas. I was only heading to Austin but the eagle was running 4 hours late. I would have checked my bag if the train was on time to avoid the $4 fee but with the lateness I was debating taking Greyhound (didn't end up doing it) and she nicely didn't charge me.

I don't know if they are cracking down but for a while every time I left my bag in a small station (Denver, Tucson, buffalo) they never bothered to charge me.

I don't know if they are cracking down but for a while every time I left my bag in a small station (Denver, Tucson, buffalo) they never bothered to charge me.
Like most things with Amtrak, the policy seems to vary from station to station. I've also seen some stations waive day check fees for sleeping car passengers, while others insist on charging sleeping car pax. I think that Station managers like to feel important at times, so they make up their own rules. Throw station agents who don't always follow the rules, Amtrak's or their managers, and you get quite a mess of rules & policies.

You can day check @ Dallas Union Station. You can ride the DART around to the West End for grub or the Dallas Aquarium, or to Pearl for the Arts (Dallas Museum of Arts) or the new Perot Museum, or just walk around downtown to see the plaza where JFK was shot.........downtown Dallas is a good day excursion if the weather is right.

I would be careful going out too far away from Union Station on DART, though, make sure you can get back in time to catch the Eagle!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back