Dash 8 on 370?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pere Flyer

Lead Service Attendant
I'm currently on the 370 (CHI-GRR), and it looks like a Dash 8 is attached to the rear end of the consist, facing backward. From what I gather, Dash 8's are mainly used in rail yard work and don't see full service very often. What would its purpose be on a daytime route? (I'm a novice by AU standards when it comes to train sets, so please correct me if my observations are inaccurate.)

Not unusual to see on the Coast Starlight...usually in the #2 position but sometimes, the leader.

At the same time, its not unusual to see P42's in use on the Pacific Surfliner instead of F59s!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm currently on the 370 (CHI-GRR), and it looks like a Dash 8 is attached to the rear end of the consist, facing backward. From what I gather, Dash 8's are mainly used in rail yard work and don't see full service very often. What would its purpose be on a daytime route? (I'm a novice by AU standards when it comes to train sets, so please correct me if my observations are inaccurate.)
The dash 8's were purchased to augment the mainline fleet in 1991, and can still pinch hit for a passenger locomotive.

I had to wrap my head around what you're talking about since there are two classes of diesels in use that are technically Dash-8 units. Additionally, The P40s and P32 BWH are both used in road service quite frequently.

As such, I just decided to look at the what you were seeing. It should have been a cabbage on the rear...specifically this one:

hqdefault.jpg

I had to wrap my head around what you're talking about since there are two classes of diesels in use that are technically Dash-8 units. Additionally, The P40s and P32 BWH are both used in road service quite frequently.

As such, I just decided to look at the what you were seeing. It should have been a cabbage on the rear...specifically this one:

hqdefault.jpg
Yes, that's the very one. Thanks for working with my limited descriptions. I see that the Grand Rapids station requires the Pere Marquette trains to back into the siding. Might that be the use of the rear cabbage? I thought the P42's were able to go in reverse?

hqdefault.jpg
Yes, that's the very one. Thanks for working with my limited descriptions. I see that the Grand Rapids station requires the Pere Marquette trains to back into the siding. Might that be the use of the rear cabbage? I thought the P42's were able to go in reverse?
P42's are capable of reverse.

The engineer controls the locomotive from the cab. Cabbage are old locomotives where the space formerly occupied by the guts of the machine becomes baggage space. Another option for a push-pull train is to use a cab car, a passenger car with a control cab at one end.

It's so the train can run in push-pull it's also the bicycle car!
The engineer controls the locomotive from the cab. Cabbage are old locomotives where the space formerly occupied by the guts of the machine becomes baggage space. Another option for a push-pull train is to use a cab car, a passenger car with a control cab at one end.
Makes sense, with Amtrak's rolling stock situation, that every unit with working wheels would get some use. I think I understand the 370/371 setup now. Thanks everyone for the knowledge, especially Thirdrail and FrensicPic for the great photos!

Last edited by a moderator:

hqdefault.jpg
FINALLY!!!!! Someone calls a P40 like it is!!! A Dash 8! Dash 8-40BP!

So the shell of the loco (Dash 8) is empty of any engine, but the cab controls still work, and they link to and control the loco at the other end from the Dash 8 cab. Back in the day, in the UK we mostly used adjacent track loops to "run round" the train from one end to the other to change direction when loco hauling a train. Nowadays most passenger trains are units with cabs at both ends.

Ed.

There are a number of places here where there is no wye or loop track available, or turnaround is in the station right away and the train is loco hauled, then, cab control is widely used . SEPTA, MNRR, LIRR NJT, AMTRAK (Keystones+Downeaster, for example), VRE, and MARC all use it in some situations here on the East coast.

FINALLY!!!!! Someone calls a P40 like it is!!! A Dash 8! Dash 8-40BP!
Just another tidbit of "trivial" information that employees are supposedly known for posting. :ph34r:

So the shell of the loco (Dash 8) is empty of any engine, but the cab controls still work, and they link to and control the loco at the other end from the Dash 8 cab. Back in the day, in the UK we mostly used adjacent track loops to "run round" the train from one end to the other to change direction when loco hauling a train. Nowadays most passenger trains are units with cabs at both ends.

Ed.

The cabbages are former F-40PH engines with the prime mover removed. In its place is an area for baggage, hence the nickname Cabbage (cab-bag.)

class5.jpg

Back