Davis, Ca (DAV) robbed at gunpoint

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackwolf

Conductor
This morning, at 4:15 AM, the station agent at the Davis, California station was robbed at gunpoint.

Per the article read from KCRA TV in Sacramento, two men in dark clothing and masks approached the station agent as they were unlocking the doors for the day and forced them inside. The agent was made to hand over all money held in the station, and then was tied up before the two robbers left the area.

Story is found here: http://www.kcra.com/news/local-news/news-sacramento/cops-davis-amtrak-employee-robbed-at-gunpoint/-/12969376/20904102/-/2agpaw/-/index.html

I used to ride with the Davis PD and this happens from time to time. Usually armed robbers hit the circle K gas station or other convenience store but with upped security I guess they set their sights on another target. The agent booth itself is glass enclosed however there is not much security at the station itself as it generally is considered to be a low crime area.

I'm glad they didn't hurt or kill the the station agent. I fear the glass agent booth wouldn't have stopped a bullet. They better catch the robbers. Are there surveillance cameras in the station? Don't know how much that would help, but at least it's something.

Would that count as a Federal offence, like it would if you robbed a Post Office?

(The crooks should hope it does. I've heard that California is the last state you want to be incarcerated, with the possible exception of Texas.)

Would that count as a Federal offence, like it would if you robbed a Post Office?
(The crooks should hope it does. I've heard that California is the last state you want to be incarcerated, with the possible exception of Texas.)
I don't believe so. I don't believe Amtrak employees are considered federal employees per se, and in any case the station isn't federal or Amtrak property. Post offices are specifically noted in federal laws on robbery even though the Postal Service has some sort of quasi-government status these days.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/part-I/chapter-103

It gets rather interesting how it would be handled if it were. There's a little something known as the Assimilative Crimes Act, where the feds are able to try state crimes in federal court and carry out the punishment in federal prisons. However, I'd think that the first thing that would apply would be robbery of federal property, in which case they would preferentially apply those laws.

Glad no-one was Hurt! The usual MO now days is to shoot any "witnesses!" :( When I was in Davis waiting on the CZ last August there was only 1 Agent on duty and she told us that the Area around the Beautiful old SP Station was considered Safe to walk in even at night! Of course O-Dark-Thirty can be Dangerous Anywhere so I guess these Thugs figured this was a Target of Opportunity since, as was said, this is considered a Safe Area by the Local LE! I'm surprised that there would much Cash in the Station since most businesses do Daily Deposits ,and of course, most people use Credit Cards now a days! Perhaps the fact that so many Students (Cal-Davis) ride the Trains between SAC and the Bay Area contributed to the idea that there would be large amount of Cash in the Station?? :unsure:

Beats the time a few years back when I was still living in Davis... My friend worked at the new Target store that just opened... In the early morning hours someone drove a pick-up truck through the front doors, tied chains around a portable ATM at the front of the store, and tried to drive away with it.

People will do crazy things where people least suspect it as those are the people that are generally the least prepared for it.

I don't believe so. I don't believe Amtrak employees are considered federal employees per se, and in any case the station isn't federal or Amtrak property. Post offices are specifically noted in federal laws on robbery even though the Postal Service has some sort of quasi-government status these days.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/part-I/chapter-103

It gets rather interesting how it would be handled if it were. There's a little something known as the Assimilative Crimes Act, where the feds are able to try state crimes in federal court and carry out the punishment in federal prisons. However, I'd think that the first thing that would apply would be robbery of federal property, in which case they would preferentially apply those laws.
It could be an interstate commerce issue.

Beats the time a few years back when I was still living in Davis... My friend worked at the new Target store that just opened... In the early morning hours someone drove a pick-up truck through the front doors, tied chains around a portable ATM at the front of the store, and tried to drive away with it.
People will do crazy things where people least suspect it as those are the people that are generally the least prepared for it.
I've lived in generally safe areas most of my life, including some that would be considered upper middle class with generally low crime rates. Living in the Bay Area, I have gone through many areas where I know I have to be aware of my surroundings. My current neighborhood is one where a lot of people leave their guards down.

However, I've never lived in a gated community, and freedom of movement is a given since they are public streets. I've never been assaulted or robbed, but I have been the victim of property crimes. I've had my car broken into and even stolen (but recovered the next day with a lot of missing pieces). Even in my current neighborhood known for almost no violent crime and possibly the highest ratio of law enforcement to population in the area, I've had stuff stolen from my car. It was actually quite stupid as I'd forgotten to lock my car door and found a lot of stuff rifled through. As far as I could tell, the only thing missing was a shrink-wrapped bank roll of quarters. Even the loose change in the coin box was still there. Even for something this minor, the police response was quick and would have been faster if they didn't have to respond to something more urgent. Just try that even if you live in a million dollar house in Oakland where non-violent crimes are considered lowest priority due to police staffing issues. When the officer arrived, he said I was maybe victim #25 of someone who was probably looking for money to buy drugs. This guy apparently never took anything other than loose change/bills in coin boxes, gloveboxes, and consoles, and they had a good idea who it was even if they hadn't had the opportunity to arrest yet. Apparently there were no breaking of windows or picking of locks. The thief was simply looking for unlocked car doors.

With the extremely large amount of money taken, seems like an inside job, and who ties people up nowadays, Billy the kid ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back