Davis CA - parking location

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gmushial

OBS Chief
Might somebody be so kind as to identify the Amtrak longterm parking in the image; and likewise, the city owned longterm overflow parking?

many thanks - greg

DAVstation.jpg

Might somebody be so kind as to identify the Amtrak longterm parking in the image; and likewise, the city owned longterm overflow parking?
It's just the parking lot behind the station. There's no dedicated long term parking per se. The Amtrak website says 129 short term parking spaces and 129 long term parking spaces. That has to either be a huge coincidence, or it means 129 parking spaces that are available for either short or long term parking.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you check on Google Street View, you'll see the signs stating that the strip of parking spaces to the west of the station (I can't find a street name) are limited to 90 minutes. I don't think that's Amtrak parking, although you could probably park there while buying a ticket or for some other ticket transaction.

It's just the parking lot behind the station. There's no dedicated long term parking per se. The Amtrak website says 129 short term parking spaces and 129 long term parking spaces. That has to either be a huge coincidence, or it means 129 parking spaces that are available for either short or long term parking.
Many thanks for the reply. So, my guess is that there are total of 129 spots which are shared as short and long term parking - seems too much of a coincident that both would be exactly the same number. I'm assuming by "behind the station," that's the double loop area to the NNE of the station... where if I zoom all the way in on google I count 124 parking spots. ... when I asked this before, there was mention of an alternative parking area near the station - a multistory garage of some type: would you know where that is? It looks like I'll be doing the CZ to OMA and back, and will be driving down from RDD, leaving the car in DAV and driving back to RDD when I get back - so, I need to have my backup plans in place before I drive down.

Did a little more digging - the extra parking is in the garage on 4th btwn G and the tracks. [Amtrak station is blue arrow; extra parking is red arrow]

DavisParking.jpg

Would you consider driving from RDD down to Roseville? It has 45 long term and 8 short term spots. You get on the CZ about 25 minutes later than you would getting on in Sacramento.

On the way back you might be on your way home an hour earlier than if you were parked in Davis.

I can understand not wanting to get on the CS at 2:20AM.

Roseville could indeed be a very good alternative. I believe there are a few places to eat about two blocks east of the station, while you wait for the train. And you can observe all the yard action in the Roseville yard, and may be able to see the rotary plows parked there from the station platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back