Day trip options from NYP

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gratt

Lead Service Attendant
I am planing on visiting my wife-to-be this February in New York City, one of the things we want/should do is take a Amtrak day trip out of NYP. :lol:

Last time we went to HAR via the Keystone their and the Penny on the way back. I also took a trip once to ALB by myself so I would rather go elsewhere.

Any other suggestions? We are also both history nerds so any trip that has cool old things to see would be a plus :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
While on the same run as Albany, consider a day trip to Rhinecliff on Amtrak. Nice ride up and down the Hudson, and plenty of history in the town.

Baltimore and Washington might be a little far, but certainly doable. Lots to see. Washington, especially is a good day trip since Union Station is so central.

Ride to New London via Metro North and Shore Line East. Try to get your hands on a bar car.
Watch that limited SLE service to/from NLC, most service is reverse-peak, intended for commuters who work in NLC. How about MNR to NHV and Amtrak from there to NLC? But that somewhat defeats the purpose if all you're going to do is ride back to NYP on Amtrak.

I would do Philly via NJT/SEPTA one way and Amtrak the other. (although it's hard to beat the $8 one way via Greyhound, and I often have to remind myself I'm a railfan when I plan Philly trips!)

As I mentioned in another post, I am planning to stay in NYC for 8 days over the summer apartment sitting for my step-sister. I am going to rotate days with seeing stuff in the city and doing daytrips on Amtrak.

The 4 I am planning on doing:

(1) Baltimore to see Fort McHenry

(2) Philadelphia to see Indepence Hall

(3) Washington to walk around the monuments for 4-5 hours

(4) A ride in the Pennsylvania countryside on the Pennsylvania... best way is to do it on Sunday so you can get further. I am aiming to make the turn at Huntingdon, PA. It looks like you can get some of the mountains in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back