DC-San Francisco Trip Review

• Thread starter Guest_MontanaJim_*
  • Start date
Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Guest_MontanaJim_*

Happy New Year everyone. I have been busy with all the holiday stuff and have just now had an opportunity to post a trip report.

My Capitol Limited Train left Washington DC on time at 4:05 PM on December 14th, and we arrived on time into Chicago the next day. It was nice traveling through Harpers Ferry, Ive heard the town is very pretty under normal circumstances but was absolutely amazing with all the Christmas decorations that were displayed. Two people from Brazil who were sitting next to me in the lounge car said "wow" as soon as we emerged from the tunnel to cross the Maryland state line into Harpers Ferry. I cant believe Ive lived in DC almost three years now and that this was my first visit. Ill definitely be looking forward to my return trip through town on my way back to DC on January 4th. I also plan to go to the town for a weekend in the spring.

This train was my first chance to see the refurbished lounge car. Half of the car had tables, the other have swivel chairs facing the windows. On a short journey like the Capitol Limited I think this is a good setup, but I hope they dont do this to the lounges on the western long distance trains. Otherwise I will have to stay in the lounge almost 24/7 in order to hold one of the seats facing the windows.

The train was pretty much sold out. One guy next to me was going to Denver. Had intended to fly but had a skiing accident in Vermont and his doctor told him he couldnt fly with the lung problem that he had. Behind me was an Amish couple. Just shows a couple of reasons what kinds of people ride Amtrak, and the important role it plays in America.

During my layover in Chicago I walked down to the lake. Was a bit chilly, but I had my winter coat. I had intended to store my bag in one of the station's storage lockers, but was shocked at the price of $3.00 an hour. I refused to pay $9.00 for my bag for three hours, so I put it on my back (I have a big backpack that i use when i travel, I have had it for 9 years, and have taken it all over the world with me). It comes in handy in that i can put it on my back. Much easier than carrying luggage. So I put it on my back and walked down to the lake. Saw the Chicago Bear's new stadium, and stopped by a Panda Express Chinese restaurant on my way back for lunch. I got in line at 1:15 pm just as they were getting ready to board the California Zephyr.

The Zephyr departed on time. The next morning we arrived in Denver and I staked out a spot in the lounge car upon departure. The trip over the rockies, the numerous Colorado canyons were great. I took the Zephyr eastbound last year, and I am from Montana, so I have seen large mountains before, but few things can top a ride on the zephyr. Even going over the Wasatch Mtns in Utah in the dark was pretty neat.

The train arrived in Salt Lake City a half hour early. Had a little bit of excitement there. As soon as I got off the train (I dont smoke, but I always try to get off the train when i can to get some fresh air) I saw a passenger arguing with the conductor. The passenger, a kid about 22, was obviously drunk. I had spoken with this kid a few times on the trip. Although he had tattoos all over his arms, he seemed alright.

Well now this kid was going at it with the conductor. The conductor told him he was "off the train". The kid got more angry and moved towards the conductor. The conductor then said "oh, you gonna hit me? Well take your best shot". Luckily he didnt hit him, but the conductor called police, who came out about ten minutes later. They told him to just leave amtrak property and they wouldnt arrest him, which he did briefly, but he came back and they threw the handcuffs on him and took him away.

The train left Salt Lake on time, but we lost time travelling through Nevada. For some reason we travelled at a rate of 20-35 mph for an extended period. I should have asked the conductor why. One passenger said maybe the rails were so cold that there was a speed restriction. I dont know. But this is the reason we were a couple of hours late getting into Reno.

On one of my visits to the lounge car around this time, I purchased about $12.00 worth of food and wanted to use my credit card. The attendant made a big stink about it though, saying "dont you have any cash?. Last trip i turned in 4 credit card statements and one of them was incorrect, and I had to pay 40 bucks out of my pocket". I felt like saying "well thats your problem", but I didnt and paid with the small amt of cash I had.

The trip over the Sierra's was great and I also enjoyed seeing the freight yard in Roseville, and the locomotive facilities there. The train arrived into Emeryville about three hours late.

I took the bus over to SF and spent a night in a hostel at FT Mason. A great place I had stayed at before. Nice view of the Golden Gate. The next day I walked the bridge and went to Fisherman's wharf, and made my first visit to IN-N-Out Burger. It was as good as everyone says.

I spent the next two nights at a lighthouse hostel 25 miles south of SF at PT Montara. What an incredible place. Right on a cliff with a view of the ocean below. All for 21 bucks a night. Cant wait to go there again.

What a great trip. Now I am in MT and will be leaving tomorrow (January 3rd) to go back to DC. First I will take a bus to Spokane and catch the Empire Builder there. Ill give everyone a short report when I get back to DC.

Thanks to everyone for your advice and comments. I also enjoy reading trip reports posted by others, although I dont post many responses myself.

Thanks for the report and your views about what was going on along the way. Glad you had great trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back