DC Travel Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan

Court Jester
No closures on the Red Line. Board at McPhearson Square and head to Silver Spring/Glenmont. Shouldn't have too much trouble.

Shoot for a train that leaves around noon, right around when the ceremony is going down. The crowds will all be in town already, and you'll be ahead of the crowds leaving.

Service changes on Metro for the Inauguration:

• Rush hour service starting at 4AM on Monday and continuing until 9PM. (6 minute headways on GR, YL, BL; 4 minute headways on OR; 3 minute headways on RD).
  • No "Rush Plus" service (no Orange trains to Largo, no Yellow trains to Greenbelt).
  • Mount Vernon Square station (GR) closed all day.
  • Archives station (GR / YL) closed all day.
  • Smithsonian station (BL / OR) closed all day.
  • Yellow Line operates Huntington to Gallery Place ONLY. No Yellow service north of Gallery Place.
  • NO VRE service.
  • ALL MARC trains are advanced reservation, reserved tickets only. Modified schedule on Penn and Brunswick lines. NO service on the Camden Line.

You will have no problems getting to Union Station. However, you should expect severe crowding on trains and in stations. Do NOT walk to McPherson Square, as Ryan suggests. While that is the closest station, it will require you to transfer. McPherson Square is on the BL/OR, while Union Station is on the Red Line.

Walk instead to Farragut North (17th & K) and board the Red Line there. Catch a train toward Silver Spring or Glenmont.

Give yourself lots of extra time. Peak fares will be in effect most of the day on the 21st. The fare from Farragut North to Union Station is $2.10 if you have a SmarTrip card, or $3.10 if you use a paper farecard.

:help:

Peak fares will be in effect most of the day on the 21st.
:help:
That's right Metro, milk those out of town guests. :eek:

What happened to the days (they use to do this for the 4th of July once upon a time) when you threw a special, decent system-wide fare into a bucket for these special occasions ? I know times are tough, but really? :eek:hboy:

With their being lots of people unfamiliar with the farecard system trying to figure it out, be sure to have a farecard with enough money on it so you don't need to stop at the farecard machine! :excl:

Last edited by a moderator:
Another suggestion: The Georgetown - Union Station DC Circulator bus line. Runs right down K Street, takes you straight to Union Station. Unless they've changed the rates, it's only $1.

That's right Metro, milk those out of town guests. :eek:

What happened to the days (they use to do this for the 4th of July once upon a time) when you threw a special, decent system-wide fare into a bucket for these special occasions ? I know times are tough, but really? :eek:hboy:

With their being lots of people unfamiliar with the farecard system trying to figure it out, be sure to have a farecard with enough money on it so you don't need to stop at the farecard machine! :excl:
The recommendation to get a Metro farecard before the Inauguration on Monday and have enough money on it to about the farecard machines is an excellent one. There are often long lines at the machines on normal Saturdays with tourists and visitors trying to figure out the DC Metro pricing system (like trying to figure out the US tax code) and how to buy a farecard. On Inauguration Day, the lines at the farecard machines will be epic. Anyone coming from out of town on the Sunday or Saturday before who is planning to take the Metro should get a farecard before Monday and put enough funds on it to cover peal fare trips on Monday.

As for the Georgetown to Union Station Circulator bus, I checked the street closure map for the Inauguration and parade. K Street is open, but parts of I street and the streets further south are closed. There will be a lot of traffic funneling onto K St and it may be one clogged mess from Georgetown to Union Station. If the OP is staying at Capitol Hilton, walking to the Red Line stop at Farragut North and taking Red line direct to Union Station may be the better option.

Thanks. You guys rock!!!!!!! Your detailed answers are more than I could wish for. Priceless.

I'm greatful that I am off that day and no where near DC. Interesting to see how they will do reserved tickets for Brunswick line trains. In my 30 years of riding it daily, I do not recall ever seeing a reserved ticket only implimented on the line. Then again, I use a monthly pass.

Personally, I would forgo using Metrorail entirely and just walk everywhere. I have as much faith in riding Metro as I do in seeing a mass full-funding bill for Amtrak fly through Congress unapposed by the GOP.

Last edited by a moderator:
They're selling special commemorative I-day only tickets, they're the only ones that are going to be accepted that day:

http://mta.maryland.gov/inaugural-day-information

(Yes, I had to buy one)

marc_inaugural.jpg

Another suggestion: The Georgetown - Union Station DC Circulator bus line. Runs right down K Street, takes you straight to Union Station. Unless they've changed the rates, it's only $1.
As a follow-up for anyone planning to visit DC for the Inaugiuration, that the Circulator buses will not be running on Monday, January 21, even those with routes outside of the closed off streets. Part of traffic and crowd control, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back