Dearborn MI station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minnrider

Train Attendant
Does anyone know if there's a pedestrian bridge from the Dearborn, Michigan Amtrak station to Greenfield Village/Henry Ford Musuem? They are very close to each other, but separated by the railroad tracks. I couldn't find a clear answer to this after doing an online search.

I haven't been in the last couple of years but previously the pedestrian bridge was closed, and you could not use it to access the Henry Ford. I wouldn't count on it being open unless you hear from someone who's been there and can confirm it.

There is a Comfort Inn right next to the station that is an easy walk and they used to provide a free shuttle to the Henry Ford. I've also walked it a few times but it is a bit of a far walk.

And lastly.. the Henry Ford is an INCREDIBLE place to visit - I've taken Amtrak out there several times and I've always had such a great time. The indoor museum and the outdoor Greenfield Village both need a full day to experience - if you need to choose one PLEASE choose the village (unless it's bad weather). The Greenfield Village is such an enjoyable place - you can ride the steam train, ride the Model T cars, and all of the buildings have guides that will tell you all about the history. For a train fan, you can walk through the working roundhouse and go inside the Smith Creek Station. Of course... if you are a train fan you'll need to go inside the Museum to see the trains in there as well.

I haven't been in the last couple of years but previously the pedestrian bridge was closed, and you could not use it to access the Henry Ford. I wouldn't count on it being open unless you hear from someone who's been there and can confirm it.

There is a Comfort Inn right next to the station that is an easy walk and they used to provide a free shuttle to the Henry Ford. I've also walked it a few times but it is a bit of a far walk.

And lastly.. the Henry Ford is an INCREDIBLE place to visit - I've taken Amtrak out there several times and I've always had such a great time. The indoor museum and the outdoor Greenfield Village both need a full day to experience - if you need to choose one PLEASE choose the village (unless it's bad weather). The Greenfield Village is such an enjoyable place - you can ride the steam train, ride the Model T cars, and all of the buildings have guides that will tell you all about the history. For a train fan, you can walk through the working roundhouse and go inside the Smith Creek Station. Of course... if you are a train fan you'll need to go inside the Museum to see the trains in there as well.
Just curious - how is that Comfort Inn for an overnight? I was going to take the Wolverine from Chicago and stay there and then Uber to an appointment the next day, but the online reviews made it sound pretty sketchy so I drove instead to stay somewhere else.

Just curious - how is that Comfort Inn for an overnight? I was going to take the Wolverine from Chicago and stay there and then Uber to an appointment the next day, but the online reviews made it sound pretty sketchy so I drove instead to stay somewhere else.
It's been a couple of years now but I used to visit the area a lot and I stayed there multiple times and never had any problems. The hotel isn't the best even by Comfort Inn standards but the employees have always been friendly and it's right next door to the Amtrak station so you can't beat it for convenience. I would stay there again.

Also, the Dearborn station has an open, non-secure platform with plenty of benches so it's very nice for train watching.

The bridge isn't open (except for extremely rare instances when the south track has to be used by Amtrak), that museum gate has never been used, and the agent I talked to doesn't even know who has the keys to the gate. Amtrak is probably barely aware it exists, and wouldn't care anyway.

I went to Greenfield Village and stayed at that Comfort Inn in 2018. I really enjoyed it. I was there for one day and didn't get to half of it. Michigan was the end of a long-time dream I had, that of visiting all 50 states. Michigan was the 50th. I stayed at that Comfort Inn and had no problems there. I'd certainly go back.

Thanks for the positive remarks on the area. On Google Maps, I explored the Greenfield Village area, and now it's on my places to visit. I'm particularly interested in the Detroit Toledo & Milwaukee Roundhouse and Railroad Turntable and the many other museums and homes of such famous people as Henry Ford, Thomas Edison, Robert Frost, Noah Webster, etc.

Back