Dearborn, MI to New Orleans

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally Booked my train trip from Dearborn to Chicago then on to New Orleans.

My other option that i was looking at was from Ann Arbor, MI. I am coming in from Canada and I am flying back from New Orleans. So I also had to find a hotel with long term parking and shuttle service. The best I found was Best Western Greenfield. They provide service to Dearborn Amtrak and pick up service from DTW. ( Detroit Metro ).

I am getting the hotel for $116 (Taxes inc.). The only downside to this hotel was there Shuttle service does not start till 7 am. So I could not take the earlier train to Chicago. I may still take the earlier train and take a cab to the Dearborn Metro.

I have been assigned Room 2 car # 5900 on the City of New Orleans. I hope this is a good roomette.

I need advice regarding dinner out of Chicago. Also what is the earliest I can board the train in Chicago. Can I have my dinner before the train departs ??

I am scheduled to arrive in New Orleans on Friday Jan 25. That day there 2 Mardi Gras Parades. Will I have problems getting a cab to my Hotel ?? My hotel is on Magazine street.

Thanks in advance to all the answers.

Last edited by a moderator:
We took this trip back in May. I believe that you are normally supposed to be able to board the CON in Chicago about an hour before departure and be able to start eating dinner before the train leaves the station. In our case, we were told the train crew received the train late. We boarded at what I would consider a normal boarding time before departure and didn't have dinner until very late. As I recall, it was about 9:00 PM.

Just an FYI, the Dearborn station has what I would consider a good parking lot for long term parking. It is right next door to the City of Dearborn Police Department. We have left our car there a couple of times for almost 2 weeks at at time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back