Delay

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Brandon Eaton

On Fri. Oct. 14th. leaving Greensboro, NC the train was 3 hrs. late and I was not notified....when I called I was told a nasty "its the passengers fault". I think I should be refunded at least half my fare.

Yeah Amtrak doesn't let people know when the train is going to be late. It's up to the passenger to find that out.

Can you explain the situation more in detail, and maybe we can help you out. Also if you want some compensation, try calling the 800 number, and ask for a customer service rep. They will deal your complaint and may give you something.

Thanks

Chris

You probably won't get any compensation for the late train. Amtrak DOES NOT authorize refunds due to OTP. This policy has been effect since David Gunn became CEO and abolished the Satisfaction Guarantee program created by the Warrington administration. The company will inform you that it is the PASSENGERS RESPONSIBILITY to check train status and prepare for delays BEYOND THE CONTROL OF AMTRAK. Your ticket jacket and timetable have the entire terms of transportation listed that govern compensation policy at Amtrak. Hope you have luck, but don't count on it! Seen this happen thousands of times while out working on the road.

If you had first class accomodations, like a sleeper or Acela First Class, Amtrak may be MORE INCLINED to be more generous with your complaint than to Coach or Business Class passengers. Just remember though, as with most customer service issues, it depends what operator you get and in what mood their supervisior is in (levels of service vary between the call centers at Riverside, CA and Philadelphia, PA) to get the compensation you desire.

I think they probably said, "It's the passenger's responsibility" not "It's the passenger's fault."

Just as you should call an airline before departing for the airport, it is a good idea to check the website or call Amtrak before leaving for the train station.

Back