Denver to Galveston roundtrip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've have read on cruise critic that sometimes there are delays in getting off of a ship when it arrives in port. Something about customs and immigration iirc.

In any event many discussions on cruise critic discourage people from scheduling tight connections to flights after a cruise. The cruise critic web sight has a section for home ports in the USA and a section for Gulf of Mexico ports. If you ask questions there you could get some helpful info.

A few more thoughts....

As stated above, the bus is a full size, restroom equipped intercity bus. The times I have ridden it the driver played (forgettable...Paul Blart Mall Cop?) DVD movies. (OK, so National Treasure 2 wasn't so bad....) The stop in Nacogdoches is made at a truck stop and is generally about 20 minutes long; long enough to visit a real restroom and pick up some refreshments for the remainder of the trip. The stop in Houston is made at the Amtrak station; while there isn't much in its vicinity there are restrooms and vending machines if you just must have something more to snack on. (Make sure that the driver knows you'll be in the station....)

The museum/bus stop in Galveston is located at the head of The Strand, a very popular historic district with a number of bars, shops, cafes, and restaurants. It's safe and walkable day and night. My own "must-see" on The Strand, aside from the Museum, is La Kings Confectionary two blocks up the street...an old-fashioned ice cream parlor and candy factory which makes the best banana splits and ice cream sodas in town.

If you decide you would like to spend a night in Galveston before or after, the Tremont House is just two blocks from the Museum. It's an upscale Wyndham property; a bit pricy but very nice inside. Their rooftop bar overlooking the harbor is "not to be missed" if you're in town at sunset.

For lunch I always recommend Star Drug Store a few blocks south of The Strand on 23rd St. While no longer a working pharmacy, it does have its original old-fashioned lunch counter serving sandwiches, burgers, and ice cream treats which rival La Kings.

If you make a day of The Strand, be sure and stop in to see Galveston's "tall ship", the 1877 sailing ship Elissa.
Thank you for the information.

I've have read on cruise critic that sometimes there are delays in getting off of a ship when it arrives in port. Something about customs and immigration iirc.

In any event many discussions on cruise critic discourage people from scheduling tight connections to flights after a cruise. The cruise critic web sight has a section for home ports in the USA and a section for Gulf of Mexico ports. If you ask questions there you could get some helpful info.
Thank you. I am on Cruise Critic. A delay in getting off of the ship is a concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back