Denver Union Station (Temp Location and Access)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John-MCPO-USN

Train Attendant
In the middle of my cross-country Odyssey (had to air-bridge from CHI to DEN yesterday to catch #5 this morning in Denver).

I know this has been a topic of discussion in this group (the temp location of Denver Union Station - and access to it). I wanted to advise everyone on the current situation, and getting to the station from Downtown.

Denver Union Station is currently located at the corner of 21st St and WeWatta St (Google Maps has it perfectly marked). The location is completely safe, as there are some nice condos right behind the station, and people coming and going all the time. I walked to the station last night (9pm), just to get a feel for it - and at 9pm, while the station was closed, the walk to the station was safe and easy. 20th St has a huge sidewalk that goes under the tracks next to Coors Stadium. Once you come out from the underpass, you cross the street at Division St and 20th - and you can see the Amtrak Station behind you at the top of the overpass (the station sits on top of the overpass). Walk thru the parking lot for the condos, and you are there. It was a 1.3 mile walk for me, and I was staying at the Downtown Courtyard Marriott (corner of 16th St and Curtis St). AND, the great town of Denver has a free bus that runs the length of the 16th St Mall - so, that will take about 0.75mile off your journey. Allow 15-20min to walk from central downtown to the station. If you only have one piece of luggage with wheels, it is very do-able. If you have a great deal of luggage, then you might want to rethink the cab (but, the cabs are very pricy for such a short journey).

Just wanted to let everyone know that it is safe and easy to walk to the Denver station.

John

Thank you for your post. As a woman, I would not feel comfortable alone at the temporary station when it is closed, someone waits with me until it opens. Have been there in the mornings at 5am and at night 9:30-10pm. The reason for me is, there are condos down there but I have yet to see one person walking around those condos, it's dead down there with just a few cars going by. I will say, the few times I have been down there it has just been the passengers waiting. There hasn't been anything that has happened while I have been there, just a feeling. I think during daylight hours a bit different down there but not when it's dark.

Even walking down there from 16th, I would not do it. I take a lot of bags and it just seems to me once you get past Union Station(original) it seems like no man's land.

Union Station was a different story. There was security there, I would see people jogging by, just more activity in front of the station.

Just my thought and thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back