DETOUR of CZ Trains 5 and 6 thru Feather River on 7-30-08

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

daniel3197

Train Attendant
Does anyone else here know about this Rare Mileage Detour

of BOTH California Zephyr Trains 5 and 6 on July 30, 2008 (WEDS) ???

This detour is scheduled for ONE day ONLY in the Feather RIver Canyon of Northern California.

Trains 5 and 6 will miss all stops between Sacramento CA and Winnemucca NV.

YES even Reno NV will be missed for ONE day on July 30, 2008 Wednesday.

I am guessing that this detour MAY miss the Roseville stop because the former WP Sacramento Subdivision

diverges from the normal route just east of the Sacramento Amtrak Depot.

It is possible that the trains MAY also serve Roseville if they are routed via

the former SP Valley Subdivision mainline.

You can see how this routing decision will be made by the Union Pacific Dispatcher for the Sacramento area.

By the way the WP Sacramento Subdivision is the line that is the normal route for

Coast Starlight Trains 11 and 14 north out of Sacramento.

I am very surprised that no one else has posted this information here.

Trainorders member "Silagi" has VERY--VERY SOLID INSIDE info on Amtrak special operations.

TO remind everyone it was "Silagi" that announced to the world the Tehachapi Detour of Train 11 back

on October 23 of 2005 that I was so fortunate to ride.

This was posted to the Trainorders dot com Passenger Train forum at about 3:06 PM PDT Friday 7-25-08.

I do hope that some folks from this discussion forum can ride this short notice detour.

--- Daniel

==================================

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?4,1723414

Date: July 25, 2008 15:06

Cal Zephyr Feather River re-routes

Author: silagi

AMTRAK train 5(28), the westbound California Zephyr, will detour on 30JUL from Winnemucca, NV (WNN) to Roseville, CA (RSV) via the UP Winnemucca, Canyon and Sacramento Subs . Likewise, train 6(30), the eastbound California Zephyr, will detour from RSV to WNN on 30JUL.

Last edited by a moderator:
The highway patrol has closed hwy 70 again along the Feather River because the fire jumped the canyon near Belden. There are still good photo spots below the road closure but only if Amtrak comes through! Does anyone know if this will affect using the tracks? Or when UP/Amtrak will make a decision, and how to find out what it is?

This is what CalTrans says http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/Hourly

SR 70

[iN THE NORTHERN CALIFORNIA AREA]

IS CLOSED FROM 5 MI WEST OF PULGA (BUTTE CO) TO THE JCT OF SR 89

(PLUMAS CO) AT 1615 HRS ON 7/29/08 - DUE TO A WILDLAND FIRE - MOTORISTS ARE

ADVISED TO USE AN ALTERNATE ROUTE

This link has fires but I couldn't find a date/time on it. I think it is within a couple of days, though, judging from news. If you zoom in enough, you can see the tracks.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/plumas/fire_and_av...mplex/maps/gis/

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back