Did I leave enough time?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MyJourneys

Train Attendant
I'm second-guessing myself - my flight is scheduled to arrive at O'Hare around 9:30 am. If all goes well, that leaves plenty time to get to Union Station via the metro and on a train departing at 2:00 pm, but now I'm worried about flight delays, etc.

Can you reassure me that I'm worrying for nothing?

I've had success doing that before........ well....... at least flying into Midway at 9:30am and going out on the California Zephyr at 2:00pm.

This should work OK most of the time but the only way to protect yourself entirely from flight delays would be to fly in the day before and that kind of defeats the purpose flying in the first place, doesn't it?

That *should* be enough time. Where are you flying in from?

Nice picture, by the way - looks strangely familiar :D
Capitol rotunda?

photo_9494.jpg

Thanks for the help! The picture is of the Capitol Rotunda, I think. Your pictures are brighter, though! My camera didn't do the job, apparently!

Last Sunday I arrived at Midway at 8:50am, took the Orange Line to Quincy/Wells, and walked in to Union Station before 10:00am. Of course I had no checked baggage and caught the just-departing L train.

I'm second-guessing myself - my flight is scheduled to arrive at O'Hare around 9:30 am. If all goes well, that leaves plenty time to get to Union Station via the metro and on a train departing at 2:00 pm, but now I'm worried about flight delays, etc.

If the flight is on time or even a few hours late, you'll be A-OK.

But there's no guarantee that the flight will be on time, is there? And it's not Amtrak's fault if a very late flight causes you to miss the train, in the same

way that it's not an airline's fault if a late train causes you to miss your flight (Amtrak's limited NEC code-shares with United Airlines being the exception).

So yes, you have reason to worry. But in all likelihood, you'll be fine.

[bTW: If you're running late and need to ask for directions, don't say "metro". In Chicago, it's the "L". If you say "metro" you'll likely get a confused

look in response.]

[bTW #2: If you're running really late, but still have a shot at catching the train, don't take the L at all. At mid-day, a taxi is almost certainly going to

be faster than the L, and though expensive it may save you a lot of hassle and expense if it allows you to catch Amtrak.]

Last edited by a moderator:

Worry if you must. The odds are greatly in your favor. The upthread posters say so, and in my limited experience at O'Hare, they are correct.Have a Plan B, in any case, it reduces anxiety, if nothing else.

If you like to worry, I could tell you about 3 times flight delays at O'Hare worried me. Two of those were in winter, so don't apply. (I did sweat wooden nickles when my early teen kids were delayed by freezing fog at O'hare - but that was misplaced worrying)

My worst bad flight thru O'Hare (really really unlikely) Last May 12 - in the evening - the whole central USA erupted in thunderstorms. Delayed arrival 2 hours ORD at 16:something. Thunder, lightening, horizontal rain squalls blasting the concourse windows. All connecting flights (including mine to STL) delayed or cancelled, . Slept from 01:20 to 04:20 on the CDA folding cot with their welcome blanket and pillow (and an amenity kit, also, with wet-wipes,toothpaste, etc) (all hotels sold out)

At about 05:something airline told me I might get to STL by 10-11PM - so I called Julie , got AMTRAK ticket onward to Saint Louis (where I wanted to get to) Rode the Blue El to CUS, plenty time to catch the train (Lincoln service 7am .

On AMTRAK Lincoln service at Springfield, learned that disgruntled ATC employee started fire in air system at Air traffic Control. All flights delayed another 8-10 hours. I coulda stayed at O'Hare another 20 hours and flown to STL, but glad I didn't, took AMTRAK instead, caught up with my itinerary

So, if you want to worry, consider that. (Really exceptional, unlikely, but possible O'Hare problem)

Really, with a scheduled 5 hours to connect, (almost) zero worries.

Check the weather forecasts, don't perspire.

Yes, the time interval you have should get you to Union Station by 1:15 to begin boarding the Zephyr probably 90% or more of the time.

Unfortunately, Uber is not allowed to pick up at O'Hare. (Uber X is significantly cheaper than a taxi). But you can get an Uber pick up in some of the suburbs very close to O'Hare. Des Plains and Park Ridge come to mind. When we have used Uber in Park Ridge the car usually showed up within 5 minutes. So a "plan C" strategy might be to take a fast Blue Line train to somewhere like that and then switch to Uber. If you ever go in the other direction, Uber can drop you at the Airport gates very inexpensively from the entire metro area.

Thanks, everyone! I feel better now. I know I can't control flight delays, but now I have a plan B and C in mind... just in case, and that makes all the difference. You guys and gals are great!

I don't want to worry you but here's my story. I am scheduled on the Empire Builder out of Chicago tomorrow (May 7). When I booked the trip, I made flight reservations on Southwest for both May 6 and May 7 to fly from Houston to Midway arriving at 8:50AM.

I was comfortable with a same-day airport/train connection in Chicago but I decided to go a day early and stay with my relatives.

This morning, I got to Hobby for my 6:25AM flight and learned that fog in Chicago was delaying our departure until 6:50. Then 7:45. Then they cancelled the flight and put us on the flight that was originally scheduled for 5:30AM but had been delayed until 9AM.

Then at about 8:30 they cancelled that flight too, and now I'm not departing Houston until 11:55AM with arrival at Midway at about 2:15PM.

Although it may be clear tomorrow morning, I'm sure glad I decided to come a day early!

Eeekkk! Sigh... all those peaceful thoughts were nice while they lasted. There's nothing I can do now but hope for the best. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back