Did the Santa Fe ever serve Santa Fe directly

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1948 Santa Fe timetable and it shows 1 mixed train roundtrip Lamy-Santa Fe (Mon-Sat) and 5 motor coach roundtrips that connect with the various trains through Lamy.

Eric, I got around to to my sources this morning and came up with the same info.

Should anybody not be quite sure what a "mixed" train is, it means a mix of passenger and freight.The "passenger " service on such a train is nearly always very minimal, coach only,no food, etc at least not normally. Usually only goes a very short branch line distance. Sometimes it meant passengers allowed in the caboose.

The concept is long since out of date, at least in the U.S. It was more meaningful back in the days when lots of roads were not paved, etc.

I guess most were gone by the 60's.Never, ever on Amtrak. ( and do not confuse freight with mail).
Southern Railway had "mixed" trains in the 70s AFAIK.
That would be train 7 and 8 from WAS to Lynchburg. It was what was left of the former Birmingham Special and to some extent the Pelican. It is referred to in one of the links provided several posts before this.

I have a 1948 Santa Fe timetable and it shows 1 mixed train roundtrip Lamy-Santa Fe (Mon-Sat) and 5 motor coach roundtrips that connect with the various trains through Lamy.

Eric, I got around to to my sources this morning and came up with the same info.

Should anybody not be quite sure what a "mixed" train is, it means a mix of passenger and freight.The "passenger " service on such a train is nearly always very minimal, coach only,no food, etc at least not normally. Usually only goes a very short branch line distance. Sometimes it meant passengers allowed in the caboose.

The concept is long since out of date, at least in the U.S. It was more meaningful back in the days when lots of roads were not paved, etc.

I guess most were gone by the 60's.Never, ever on Amtrak. ( and do not confuse freight with mail).
Southern Railway had "mixed" trains in the 70s AFAIK.
Except for the Southern Crescent, the other 3 Southern passenger trains operating when Amtrak started in 1971 carried TOFC cars on the end; The Piedmont from Washington to Atlanta, the Washington-Lynchburg train and the Salsbury-Asheville train. The Piedmont carried coaches and a dining lounge car and the other two were coach only trains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back