Difference between Cap Ltd & Silver Meteor?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hanmatt

Train Attendant
Next week I am travelling on the Capitol Limited from CHI - WAS and then the Silver Meteor WAS-KIS

Question: What , if any, are the differences between the two trains? We are travelling in a roomette on both sections. Also apart from your room and the dining room what else is there on these trains?

Thanks for any input
smile.gif

Next week I am travelling on the Capitol Limited from CHI - WAS and then the Silver Meteor WAS-KIS

Question: What , if any, are the differences between the two trains? We are travelling in a roomette on both sections. Also apart from your room and the dining room what else is there on these trains?

Thanks for any input
smile.gif
Well, the CAP is Superliner, and has a REAL Lounge car. And Superliners are "double-deckers" and the Meteor is single-level, and has an Am-Lounge, but it has a rolling-antique of a diner car. Food should be similar, many (including me) think the scenery is better from the upper level of a Superliner. The roomette in the Superliner (CAP) does NOT have a comode, (that's good in my opinion) your Meteor roomette will have a comode. Showers ava in either sleeper.
The CAP has what's called a SightSeer Lounge (SSL) car. It's a public gathering place for both coach and sleeper passengers, and usually has a cafe open on the lower lever. You'll find it tacked on next to the diner. It's a GREAT place to meet people, people-watch, or just watch the country-side as you roll by.

Meteor uses an AmCan, for a lounge, small windows, booth-seating only, ugh.

You'll enjoy both trips, different, but both nice.

Make sure you join Amtrak's Guest Rewards program, so you can earn travel points for your trip!

Thanks for any input
smile.gif
Well, the CAP is Superliner, and has a REAL Lounge car. And Superliners are "double-deckers" and the Meteor is single-level, and has an Am-Lounge, but it has a rolling-antique of a diner car. Food should be similar, many (including me) think the scenery is better from the upper level of a Superliner. The roomette in the Superliner (CAP) does NOT have a comode, (that's good in my opinion) your Meteor roomette will have a comode. Showers ava in either sleeper.
The CAP has what's called a SightSeer Lounge (SSL) car. It's a public gathering place for both coach and sleeper passengers, and usually has a cafe open on the lower lever. You'll find it tacked on next to the diner. It's a GREAT place to meet people, people-watch, or just watch the country-side as you roll by.

Make sure you join Amtrak's Guest Rewards program, so you can earn travel points for your trip!
Thanks for that but I'm going to ask a few silly questions (I do apologies but from the UK and have never seen let alone been on a Amtrak train
rolleyes.gif
)

When you say that the CL has a REAL lounge car what does that mean?? Also is this the SSL or is it a different car altogether?

On the meteor what is an AM-Lounge? What is the difference?

Also is there any point me joining the Amtrak Rewards Program as I won't be able to redeem anything in the near future.

Also do either show films, have guest speakers, wine tasting etc or are these only on the west coast routes?

Thanks

The SSL is the "real" lounge car. Both trains have a car that has booth style tables and a cafe where you can buy snacks and drinks. On the SSL (on the double decker train), the lounge is very nice - huge windows wrap up to the ceiling, and it's a great place to be. On the AM-lounge (on the single level train), the windows are tiny slits, giving the "lounge" all the ambiance of a prison.

No special events on either of the two trains that you'll be on, sadly.

Sightseer Lounge:

S2LoungeInterior2.JPG

Amfleet Lounge:

2168034754_079c62d9dd.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks for any input
smile.gif

Thanks for that but I'm going to ask a few silly questions (I do apologies but from the UK and have never seen let alone been on a Amtrak train
rolleyes.gif
)

When you say that the CL has a REAL lounge car what does that mean?? Also is this the SSL or is it a different car altogether?

On the meteor what is an AM-Lounge? What is the difference?

Also is there any point me joining the Amtrak Rewards Program as I won't be able to redeem anything in the near future. If you mean, less than three years, then no. If you'll be back riding Amtrak within three years, then yes, join.

Also do either show films, have guest speakers, wine tasting etc or are these only on the west coast routes?

Thanks

Thanks for that - I like the look of the SSL, I can imagine it can be quite difficult to get a seat though.

I may join the reward program as there is no harm in doing so and you never know I may be back within 3yrs!!

Enjoy your trip to Florida. I have been on the Silver Meteor more times than I can count and have never had a bad trip. :lol:

BTW - I think the toilet in the room (Silver Meteor) is a good thing, but I think most men do not.

Thanks for that - I like the look of the SSL, I can imagine it can be quite difficult to get a seat though.

I may join the reward program as there is no harm in doing so and you never know I may be back within 3yrs!!
You would be surprised, there have been many times when I have been the ONLY person in the SSL, on both the CAP and the City Of New Orleans. (CONO)
Amazes me, the best seat in the house, and people stay glued to their coach seats, or little tiny roomettes.

I've never had a problem getting a seat in the SSL. Now, when I rode the Empire Builder through Glacier National Park, I knew I had to get there early, but for most of the time, the SSL is not full.

On the Capitol Limited, the best scenery will be after leaving Pittsburgh (the morning of your second day). The Meteor does not have any particularly spectacular scenery. I will recommend looking out your window upon departure from Washington. If you're on the right side of the train, you will get views of the US Capitol (immediately upon leaving the tunnel south of Union Station), the Washington Monument, the Jefferson Memorial, the Potomac River (both sides), and a brief view of the Pentagon. Also, just before Alexandria (about 10 minutes after departing Washington), you'll get a spectacular view of the George Washington Memorial Masonic Tower (right side).

At Washington you'll have a few hours between the Cap's arrival (sched 12:10p) and the Meteor's departure (sched 7:30p). Union Station is worth seeing, especially the Great Hall. There are plenty of eateries at Union Station, and as a sleeping car customer, you'll have access to the "Club Acela (first class lounge)". It's located behind the info counter on the concourse where the train gates are. If you want to see a little bit of Washington, the US Capitol is about 4 blocks south of the station, and the National Mall is about 5 blocks away (walk south on Louisiana Ave).

I'll actually be on the Cap next week, too*. Departing Chicago on Sunday, 8/7.

*If the Empire Builder gets me to Chicago on time.

I think that the Potomac wetlands south of Washington DC are spectacular as well. No mountains, but watery vistas stretching into the distance with occasional shorebirds, boats, and fishing camps. I hope you enjoy your trip!

Thank you so much for your replies they are much appreciated!

Well I will definitely be visiting the SSL on the Cap Limited and will definitely be there for going through the apalachian mountain range and Harpers Ferry.

The Potomac wetlands sound lovely to, will it still be light if we leave WAS at 1930?

We are spending 3 nights in Chicago beforehand, flying in on the 4th August so the countdown is definitely on its way down - I can't wait
mosking.gif

Assuming the Capitol Limited is reasonably on time, you could take a tour of the actual Capitol if you wanted. It's a short walk from Union Station. You can reserve a free tour at:

http://tours.visitthecapitol.gov/

Thank you so much for your replies they are much appreciated!

Well I will definitely be visiting the SSL on the Cap Limited and will definitely be there for going through the apalachian mountain range and Harpers Ferry.

The Potomac wetlands sound lovely to, will it still be light if we leave WAS at 1930?

We are spending 3 nights in Chicago beforehand, flying in on the 4th August so the countdown is definitely on its way down - I can't wait
mosking.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back