DigEplayer is coming!!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Amtrak Lover

Amtrak is negotiating an exclusive deal with a provider of the digEplayer, a portable entertainment devices that offers 50+ movies, TV shows like the Simpsons and Seinfeld, Music Videos, and 20 hours of digital music! Riders will rent them from $7 per day and drop them off as they de-train. Batteries last 8-12 hours and the movies are all hits, many of them PRE-DVD release! You will all love it, and it gives Amtrak new life!

digEplayer is coming!!

:D

The “unregistered” originator of this thread has the verbal style of a PR person for digEplayer. I am suspicious. Maybe wishful thinking on their part?

As a little background, digEplayer is a small video unit that resembles a portable DVD player but without the DVD. All the entertainment offerings are programmed into the unit. The unit is rented, the movies played, and the unit is returned. By one means or another, the programmed entertainment will be erased after the battery dies so, in theory, there is little value to stolen units.

There are a handful of airlines that offer the system (Alaska is one). The big advantage is eliminating the need to hard wire and install an entertainment system in either an aircraft or a train. With so many cars, the cost to Amtrak to put airline-style seatback Video on Demand units in even just the Superliners would be prohibitive.

But, whether this unit is a good fit for Amtrak remains to be seen. With battery life at about seven hours, the units would need easy access to AC power to be usable for any normal Amtrak trip. Also, unlike on a flight, the units might be rented for days, not hours, thus providing greatly reduced turnover and rental revenue. And I am still not clear on what prevents someone from walking away with a unit. By their very nature, trains make multiple stops at towns big and small and I can see a real problem keeping track of who has a unit and where it is.

So, even assuming the original posting is correct, whether this will give Amtrak “new life” or will be another Am-fiasco is unknown.

Here is link to the Alaska Airlines page describing the system. BTW, Alaska rents the units for $10, not $7 as suggested by the original poster.

http://www.alaskaair.com/as/www2/Flights/d.../digEplayer.asp

As for the digEplayer, the needs of Amtrak passengers seem to fall into two categories. One category is the short-haul rider (a few hours on the train) where something like the digEplayer may work. But it seems to me that many of these riders are happy with the “quiet car,” reading, working, engaging in conversations with other passengers, and all kinds of things that distinguish rail travel from air travel. The digEplayer would not work as well as suggested by the digEplayer marketing person in this thread. The other category is the long-haul rider (up to 3 days on the train). This second category is harder to address. As one who spends most of his Amtrak time on the multi-day rides, I’ve often wished there was satellite TV available in the lounge car in addition to the movies. Amtrak can’t afford this right now unless one of the providers of moving target satellite TV is willing to fund it privately. I can’t imagine digEplayer working on the long distance trains.

I’ve seen lots of passengers on both the short distance and the long distance trains perfectly content with movies on their own PCs and DVD players. I don't think "digEplayer is coming."

I honestly think it'd be foolish to try digEplayer any place outside a high density market such as the NEC, San Jaoquin, or Midwest service, as most long distance riders BTOE. With the cost of portable DVD players coming down, and more people with laptops, there are plenty of entertainment solutions more viable than digEplayer.

battalion51 said:
I honestly think it'd be foolish to try digEplayer any place outside a high density market such as the NEC, San Jaoquin, or Midwest service, as most long distance riders BTOE. With the cost of portable DVD players coming down, and more people with laptops, there are plenty of entertainment solutions more viable than digEplayer.
Exactly, with passengers using their personal DVD players, Amtrak doesn't have to worry about lending DigEplayers, theft of them (we know it's a problem), charging them etc. A DVD player offers people a choice, they can bring what they want, since there can only be a ltd. amount of choice with a digEplayer, so I'm sure the demand would be limited. I don't know that even corridor routes would work either, because it costs a lot of money for such a short trip, besides its a lot of business traveler who would do work on the train anyway.

Bottom line, I'll believe it when I see it.

:huh: Ok, now that's weird! Why would someone try to steal your face??? You've had that image so long that it still doesn't seem like you without it. Can't you claim identity theft, take your face back, and block the other member from using it? :blink: Sorry if I seem obsessed here, but that is YOURS!

Back