Diner Dinnerware

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffW

Train Attendant
Hi, all. A few weeks ago we visited the Corning Museum of Glass here in New York State. This is the factory where Corelle was developed, so the large gift shop sells a lot of discounted and clearance Corelle products. We were very surprised to find a display of nearly a thousand Amtrak plates (9-inch plates for $0.99 each--great deal!), and bought a few.

So a question: on which lines would these plates be used? Our usual route, Lake Shore Limited, usually features plastic Amtrak plates, not Corelle.

Also, if anyone asks about the plates, we say we stole them from a train.

Finally, here's a picture of our (nearly) 4-year-old holding an Amtrak plate:

IMG_2634.JPG

its not that many years ago that Amtrak had proper plates and indeed when I went I was served on these back in 2014 (although I think it was in the process of changing over then) then they switched to plastic which is hardly environmentally friendly but I guess saves washing up

In 2014, the capitol, empire builder, and Starlight all had this dinnerware along with glasses, wine glasses, and coffee mugs.

Now, it's just the Starlight.

Hi, all. A few weeks ago we visited the Corning Museum of Glass here in New York State. This is the factory where Corelle was developed, so the large gift shop sells a lot of discounted and clearance Corelle products. We were very surprised to find a display of nearly a thousand Amtrak plates (9-inch plates for $0.99 each--great deal!), and bought a few.

So a question: on which lines would these plates be used? Our usual route, Lake Shore Limited, usually features plastic Amtrak plates, not Corelle.

I would love to get some of those plates.

Part of me really wants an Amtrak coffee mug. But I don't know if I would appreciate it as much if I wasn't on the train. Most of my other mugs are hand-thrown pottery, but there's just something about this one:

10672310_10204923872679400_6240915548401926780_n.jpg

Knock yourself out.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.XAmtrak+Plates.TRS0&_nkw=Amtrak+Plates&_sacat=0

Part of me really wants an Amtrak coffee mug. But I don't know if I would appreciate it as much if I wasn't on the train. Most of my other mugs are hand-thrown pottery, but there's just something about this one:

10672310_10204923872679400_6240915548401926780_n.jpg
You can purchase a mug like this in the Amtrak Store. I just checked and the site says there are 22 left at $7.00 each.

http://store.amtrak.com/ProductDetail.aspx?did=5549&pid=179341
Thanks for finding that! I also found some on ebay. I just don't know if they'd lose their appeal if I wasn't trying to drink out of one while swaying around in the PPC ;)

In 2014, the capitol, empire builder, and Starlight all had this dinnerware along with glasses, wine glasses, and coffee mugs.

Its only in the PPC and even then its still a mix of dinnerware and plastic.
Oh only the PPC? When I rode this fall I ate all my meals in the PPC (who could blame me!) and I was happy to see it, and assumed it was used in the diner as well. Oh well... At least it's still used in one place I guess.

Its only in the PPC and even then its still a mix of dinnerware and plastic.
Oh only the PPC? When I rode this fall I ate all my meals in the PPC (who could blame me!) and I was happy to see it, and assumed it was used in the diner as well. Oh well... At least it's still used in one place I guess.
Oh yeah, its plastic and paper galore in the dining car.

DSC00238 by B H, on Flickr

DSC00241 by B H, on Flickr

At least on the Sunset they had those plastic mugs (in 2014) for the coffee, they straight out used paper and plastic lids on the CS.

Knock yourself out.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.XAmtrak+Plates.TRS0&_nkw=Amtrak+Plates&_sacat=0
Cool....just bought a set of 4 for $25.00 delivered to my door! THANKS!

I actually prefer the paper cup with a lid for coffee at breakfast. It's not the classiest thing... But it's wayyyy more practical on a moving train.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I'm strange, and I was pleased and surprised when the knife, both forks, and the spoon at my seat all had the Amtrak logo. How much did Amtrak save by buying stuff without the logo?

I called the Corning Museum. They still have the plates in stock. I asked why it wasn't on their web page to order and she said they just didn't put them there but people find out through word of mouth. One can order them on their toll free number - 2 were $0.99 each plus about $8 shipping.

I do understand the historic connection, but I thought the current maker of Corelle was divested from Corning in the 90s. I'm surprised they would still have that kind of connection to the Corning Museum. I still have some older Corelle from the 90s, and it says "Corelle by Corning", which the newer pieces don't have.

Also, I've seen the Amtrak pattern on the CS, although they replaced it with plastic much of the time. I've actually had food to go on those plastic plates covered with foil. I understand they normally get tossed anyways, and they not really sturdy. I also saw a set of the plastic in the dining car display at the California State Railroad Museum. They weren't behind glass, but visitors weren't allowed to handle them.

Yes, I'm strange, and I was pleased and surprised when the knife, both forks, and the spoon at my seat all had the Amtrak logo. How much did Amtrak save by buying stuff without the logo?
I winder if fewer items that had no logo got pocketed?
I wonder if there's a reason Amtrak doesn't sell these and similar items directly.

Seems like there is a lively market for selling this stuff to people who remember what it was like before Amtrak downgraded to plastic dining.

I called the Corning Museum. They still have the plates in stock. I asked why it wasn't on their web page to order and she said they just didn't put them there but people find out through word of mouth. One can order them on their toll free number - 2 were $0.99 each plus about $8 shipping.
Alternatively, people can take the train to Rochester, and then we take a day trip to Corning! That is, if my boss lets me off work for the day... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back