Diner Lite

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

redsandal

Train Attendant
I'm sorry if I'm asking something that's already been asked, but I looked around and couldn't find an answer. I noticed a post referring to the LSL having Diner Lite. Can someone please tell me what that is? Do you go to the dining car as on the SWC and sit where told and the only thing different is the food or what? I usually have my meals delivered to me but wonder how the diner lite works. Thanks!

Diner-lite really just means that the cook can't cook any food onboard. Everything is pre-prepared and simply reheated in a convection oven. But otherwise, one still goes to the car for meal service and one is assigned a table. The waiter will take your order and serve you just like in a regular dining car.

One unique thing though about the LSL's diner-lite car is the wine & cheese party prior to departure from Chicago. When you check into the Metropolitan lounge they will tell you to be back in the lounge by like 8:00 PM. They usually start boarding the train by 8:15 or so. As soon as you put your stuff in your room, you can head to the diner-lite car for the wine & cheese party. They'll have both red & white wines, as well as a non-alcoholic cider for those who don't drink; and of course cheese.

Diner-lite really just means that the cook can't cook any food onboard. Everything is pre-prepared and simply reheated in a convection oven. But otherwise, one still goes to the car for meal service and one is assigned a table. The waiter will take your order and serve you just like in a regular dining car.
One unique thing though about the LSL's diner-lite car is the wine & cheese party prior to departure from Chicago. When you check into the Metropolitan lounge they will tell you to be back in the lounge by like 8:00 PM. They usually start boarding the train by 8:15 or so. As soon as you put your stuff in your room, you can head to the diner-lite car for the wine & cheese party. They'll have both red & white wines, as well as a non-alcoholic cider for those who don't drink; and of course cheese.
Great! Totally love wine and cheese! Thanks for the info, Alan!

By the way just to be clear, you won't get dinner on the train out of Chicago. You will have to buy that either in the station or someplace in Chicago on your own. Just make sure to allow enough time to get back to the lounge by the appointed time that they'll write on your pass for the lounge.

By the way just to be clear, you won't get dinner on the train out of Chicago. You will have to buy that either in the station or someplace in Chicago on your own. Just make sure to allow enough time to get back to the lounge by the appointed time that they'll write on your pass for the lounge.
That's right...I just hope the SWC arrives on time! I noticed that yesterday it was 22 hours late and today it got in over 5 hours late! Besides, I'm packin' Luna bars! ;)

Is there a thread or post somewhere that summarizes the different dining services and dining car/lounge car types on Amtrak routes? There is a sticky that I've glanced at, but it seems only to focus on the cons of one of the types of dining services.

A consolidated summary of the various dining/lounge cars and services would be a big confusion-reliever...

Is there a thread or post somewhere that summarizes the different dining services and dining car/lounge car types on Amtrak routes? There is a sticky that I've glanced at, but it seems only to focus on the cons of one of the types of dining services.
A consolidated summary of the various dining/lounge cars and services would be a big confusion-reliever...
No, no such thread exists. And it would probably take some work to keep it up to date since Amtrak keeps changing the rules frequently.

No, no such thread exists. And it would probably take some work to keep it up to date since Amtrak keeps changing the rules frequently.
well, let's see if we can start something here. i'm hoping others will help me out here if i make any mistakes, but i believe the following is up-to-date as of this posting. just covering the overnight services:

• auto-train: full service dining; sometimes referred to as 'enhanced dining' (superliner diner)
  • california zephyr: simplified dining service (superliner diner)
  • capitol limited: simplified dining service (superliner diner)
  • cardinal: 'diner-lite' using one of the new amfleet diner/lounge cars
  • city of new orleans: 'diner-lite' using the new superliner diner/lounge, also referred to as 'cross-country cafe'
  • coast starlight: currently no diner due to mud slide; previously simplified dining service; planned transition to full service dining with route relaunch tentatively scheduled for mid-may
  • crescent: simplified dining service (heritage diner)
  • empire builder: full service dining; sometimes referred to as 'enhanced dining' (superliner diner)
  • lake shore limited: previously simplified dining service (heritage diner); temporarily 'diner-lite' using one of the new amfleet diner/lounge cars while heritage diner overhauls are performed (although some conspiracy theorists believe the change is fairly permanent)
  • silver meteor: simplified dining service (heritage diner)
  • silver star: simplified dining service (heritage diner)
  • southwest chief: simplified dining service (superliner diner)
  • sunset limited: simplified dining service (superliner diner)
  • texas eagle: simplified dining service (superliner diner); to transition to 'diner-lite' using the new superliner diner/lounge, also referred to as 'cross-country cafe'
as for other services, including the adirondack, carolinian, downeaster, maple leaf, pennsylvanian, palmetto, and vermonter, such trains should carry cafe cars. it should be noted that substitutions are sometimes made due to equipment availability. for example, one of the amfleet diner/lounge cars have occasionally substituted for a heritage diner on the silver star, and the 'cross-country cafe' diner/lounge has been on and off the texas eagle now for the past few months as more diners go for conversion and to aid in crew training.

-- eliyahu

waterbury, ct

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, eliyahu! Your post should be made a sticky in its own right!

Just to clarify, then:

-Full-service/enhanced dining: most of the food cooked onboard, multiple chefs and a good complement of waitstaff--just like the olden days?

-SDS: Most of the food reheated in a convection oven with a few things cooked onboard (e.g. omelets)

-CCC: ?

-Diner-lite: ? (same as CCC?)

Thanks again for undertaking this!

Also to add in case your like me and care about this:

-Full Service / Enhanced has Linen Table Cloths and real China, cloth napkins, and Signature Silverware.

- SDS has "paper" (very nice woven, you'd swear it was cloth from a distance) table cloths, Plastic China (again you'd swear it was real china without touching it, or I would at least) and plastic coffee cups (these are my only real gripe). SDS has cloth napkins, and Signature Silverware.

Not sure about Diner Lite.

In my experience here on the East Coast (Crescent, Lake Shore prior to Diner Lite, and Capitol) the SDS has improved to a state that I feel is just as good as prior to SDS even with the loss of certain staff members. However on the West Coast with larger crowds, I have heard service and capacity suffers quite a bit.

-Full Service / Enhanced has Linen Table Cloths and real China, cloth napkins, and Signature Silverware.

- SDS has "paper" (very nice woven, you'd swear it was cloth from a distance) table cloths, Plastic China (again you'd swear it was real china without touching it, or I would at least) and plastic coffee cups (these are my only real gripe). SDS has cloth napkins, and Signature Silverware.

In my experience here on the East Coast (Crescent, Lake Shore prior to Diner Lite, and Capitol) the SDS has improved to a state that I feel is just as good as prior to SDS even with the loss of certain staff members. However on the West Coast with larger crowds, I have heard service and capacity suffers quite a bit.
I do care about that, so thanks for posting!

Is the Signature Silverware the plastic stuff with the fake metallic coating that looks (and almost feels like it is metal)? I love that stuff...

not much more to add here, really. in all three cases (full dining, SDS, and 'diner lite') most of the food is prepared prior to stocking the train from a contractor (currently gate gourmet, i believe). on full dining and the recently revamped SDS trains, steaks, eggs, and some other items are 'freshly' prepared on the grill. previously full dining meant a great deal was prepared on board, but cost cutting has taken its toll there as well. perhaps someone here with recent experience on the empire builder and/or the auto train can offer a better comparison between the two as to food prep itself?

the difference between full dining and SDS is mostly related to labor: to save the costs of servers and dishwashers, the reservation system (how many persons can be served in a given sitting) was modified, and 'real' dishes/tablecloths eliminated for SDS, replaced with plastic and heavy paper respectively. real metalware has been retained for both. 'diner lite' is separate case. like SDS, the goal is to again limit labor costs as well as eliminate the need for two revenue cars per train (a diner and a cafe or lounge car). so they've combined them. 'diner lite' cars, or more properly diner/lounge cars, combine the function of both. nearly all food is reheated in convection ovens and kept warm through steam tables. this doesn't necessarily mean the food is worse-off than elsewhere -- although i personally cannot attest to the quality of food on amtrak services from experience.

if you are interested in the difference that 'diner lite' brings to the table, so to speak, there are some 'reviews' of the updated menus. NARP has updates on the new SDS menu, the amfleet 'diner-lite' cars running on the lake shore limited and cardinal, and the superliner 'diner-lite' car running on the city of new orleans, and soon on the texas eagle. amtrak also has information on the superliner 'diner-lite' cars, also known as 'cross-country cafes' on its web site. and lastly amtrak has sample menus available based on its updated SDS service.

the gist of recent discussions both on this forum and others is that the recently revamped SDS offerings are much-improved, the food and service on the lake shore limited much degraded, and the cross-country cafe on the city fairly impressive but doesn't really offer too much in the way of proper lounge services. i'm sure there are folks here who can inform as to their own experiences in recent months how the 'new(er)' dining offerings on amtrak have panned out in their view. our family cannot eat the food offered on amtrak for religious reasons, but it has certainly appeared fine across the table in front of table-mates. ;)

-- eliyahu

waterbury, ct

not much more to add here, really. in all three cases (full dining, SDS, and 'diner lite') most of the food is prepared prior to stocking the train from a contractor (currently gate gourmet, i believe). on full dining and the recently revamped SDS trains, steaks, eggs, and some other items are 'freshly' prepared on the grill. previously full dining meant a great deal was prepared on board, but cost cutting has taken its toll there as well. perhaps someone here with recent experience on the empire builder and/or the auto train can offer a better comparison between the two as to food prep itself?

the difference between full dining and SDS is mostly related to labor: to save the costs of servers and dishwashers, the reservation system (how many persons can be served in a given sitting) was modified, and 'real' dishes/tablecloths eliminated for SDS, replaced with plastic and heavy paper respectively. real metalware has been retained for both. 'diner lite' is separate case. like SDS, the goal is to again limit labor costs as well as eliminate the need for two revenue cars per train (a diner and a cafe or lounge car). so they've combined them. 'diner lite' cars, or more properly diner/lounge cars, combine the function of both. nearly all food is reheated in convection ovens and kept warm through steam tables. this doesn't necessarily mean the food is worse-off than elsewhere -- although i personally cannot attest to the quality of food on amtrak services from experience.

if you are interested in the difference that 'diner lite' brings to the table, so to speak, there are some 'reviews' of the updated menus. NARP has updates on the new SDS menu, the amfleet 'diner-lite' cars running on the lake shore limited and cardinal, and the superliner 'diner-lite' car running on the city of new orleans, and soon on the texas eagle. amtrak also has information on the superliner 'diner-lite' cars, also known as 'cross-country cafes' on its web site. and lastly amtrak has sample menus available based on its updated SDS service.

the gist of recent discussions both on this forum and others is that the recently revamped SDS offerings are much-improved, the food and service on the lake shore limited much degraded, and the cross-country cafe on the city fairly impressive but doesn't really offer too much in the way of proper lounge services. i'm sure there are folks here who can inform as to their own experiences in recent months how the 'new(er)' dining offerings on amtrak have panned out in their view. our family cannot eat the food offered on amtrak for religious reasons, but it has certainly appeared fine across the table in front of table-mates. ;)

-- eliyahu

waterbury, ct
Here is how I understand it:

The Auto Train and Empire Builder never got SDS. I think a lot more of the food is freshly prepared on board those trains. I think, however, that coach passengers get a variation of SDS on the AutoTrain, while sleeper passengers get full service.

SDS is as people said.

CCC is, from what I understand, an attempt to reduce staffing and haulage cost on certain trains. It has menu that could be called SDS+, in that in contains most or all of SDS, plus several regional offerings. In addition, it also serves Cafe food, and replaces, on the CONO, the Lounge car. On the Texas Eagle, it doesn't seem to be replacing the lounge, although the lounge now runs unstaffed, removing theoretical redundancies of having both a lounge attendant and two waiters on trains that run with one and a half sleepers and one and three quarter coaches. (Trans sleeper, sleeper, coach, coach baggage) It also justifies to congress refurbishing Superliner I diners that needed refurbishing.

Diner-Lite is two things. One, it offers an alternative on the Lake Shore Limited, Crescent, Silver Meteor, and Silver Star to continuing to patch-up and jury-rig fifty to sixty year old heritage diners for revenue service. Amtrak sold a few of its heritage diners to Alaska Rail Road and they were so bad, ARR just scrapped them. They started with the LSL and have been subbing them on the Silver trains on an as needed basis. It offers no cooking onboard, with everything reheated. This is because they are, for all intents and purposes, full booth seating Amfleet II lounge cars. The second thing they are is a way to offer something resembling dining car service on the Cardinal, which for several years offered none.

Direct cost cutting is not the big issue with the Diner-Lites. The cost they are cutting is the cost of keeping antiques in operation. They still need a cook, an LSL, and a waiter in those cars. Employee costs are not cut, revenue is.

The Auto Train and Empire Builder never got SDS. I think a lot more of the food is freshly prepared on board those trains. I think, however, that coach passengers get a variation of SDS on the AutoTrain, while sleeper passengers get full service.
You're correct that the AT and the EB never went to SDS. At least initially when the other trains went to SDS, the EB and the AT did have more food freshly prepared on board although not significantly more. With the recent revision to the SDS menu, the AT and EB barely have an advantage in serving freshly prepared food. There are at most one or two items extra that the AT and EB have freshly prepared over SDS now.

And AFAIK, unless there has been a very recent change, on the AT both classes of passengers receive full service. The only variation is the slightly upscale menu in the sleeping car diner as compared to the coach dining car menu. For example, coach might get a NY strip steak for dinner while sleeper pax might get Filet Mignon. But both will still be cooked to order on board that train, sleeper pax are just getting a better cut of meat. All other things are equal, including number of SA's, free wine with diner, real silverware and china, tablecloths, and so on.

It also justifies to congress refurbishing Superliner I diners that needed refurbishing.
Amtrak doesn't need to justify refurbishing with CCC. In fact I don't think that Congress even cares. Amtrak didn't justify the major overhauls on the Superliner I sleepers to Congress.

This is because they are, for all intents and purposes, full booth seating Amfleet II lounge cars.
Not true at all. These cars received some serious modifications, including a steam table and a large freezer. Additionally the car can now function as either a dining car, a cafe car, or a combination dining/cafe car like it does on the Cardinal.

Direct cost cutting is not the big issue with the Diner-Lites. The cost they are cutting is the cost of keeping antiques in operation. They still need a cook, an LSL, and a waiter in those cars. Employee costs are not cut, revenue is.
No, employee costs are cut too. It used to be that there were three SA's in the single level dining cars and two cooks. SDS cut that to two SA's and one cook. Diner-lite allows them to cut the SA's to one on certain trains, other's still require two. But I'm sure that Amtrak is looking for ways to cut it to just one SA and one LSA on all cars.

well, let's see if we can start something here. i'm hoping others will help me out here if i make any mistakes, but i believe the following is up-to-date as of this posting. just covering the overnight services:
  • auto-train: full service dining; sometimes referred to as 'enhanced dining' (superliner diner)
  • california zephyr: simplified dining service (superliner diner)
  • capitol limited: simplified dining service (superliner diner)
  • cardinal: 'diner-lite' using one of the new amfleet diner/lounge cars
  • city of new orleans: 'diner-lite' using the new superliner diner/lounge, also referred to as 'cross-country cafe'
  • coast starlight: currently no diner due to mud slide; previously simplified dining service; planned transition to full service dining with route relaunch tentatively scheduled for mid-may
  • crescent: simplified dining service (heritage diner)
  • empire builder: full service dining; sometimes referred to as 'enhanced dining' (superliner diner)
  • lake shore limited: previously simplified dining service (heritage diner); temporarily 'diner-lite' using one of the new amfleet diner/lounge cars while heritage diner overhauls are performed (although some conspiracy theorists believe the change is fairly permanent)
  • silver meteor: simplified dining service (heritage diner)
  • silver star: simplified dining service (heritage diner)
  • southwest chief: simplified dining service (superliner diner)
  • sunset limited: simplified dining service (superliner diner)
  • texas eagle: simplified dining service (superliner diner); to transition to 'diner-lite' using the new superliner diner/lounge, also referred to as 'cross-country cafe'
The City of New Orleans is not using "diner-lite" service. It uses "CCC" service which is considerably enhanced from "Diner-lite." Diner-lite offers no freshly cooked food, whereas the CCC does. The same is also true for the Texas Eagle as it converts to CCC.

The City of New Orleans is not using "diner-lite" service. It uses "CCC" service which is considerably enhanced from "Diner-lite." Diner-lite offers no freshly cooked food, whereas the CCC does. The same is also true for the Texas Eagle as it converts to CCC.
my mistake, alan. i had thought the CCC car was one of the two 'diner lite' cars (amfleet II lounge-based and superliner diner-based) given its aim to combine diner and lounge services in a single car. i suppose the grills still extant in the lower-level kitchen allows the cooks to do more than the amfleet diner/lounges. therefore, just to clarify, you would characterize there now being four differing levels of dining services offered on amtrak long-distance trains, i.e., full service; SDS; amfleet-based 'diner lite'; and superliner-based 'CCC' service? i suppose the confusion came up because 'diner lite' previously referred to car itself, rather than the level of dining offered, at least in notices from NARP, railPAC, et al.

-- eliyahu

waterbury, ct

This is because they are, for all intents and purposes, full booth seating Amfleet II lounge cars.
Not true at all. These cars received some serious modifications, including a steam table and a large freezer. Additionally the car can now function as either a dining car, a cafe car, or a combination dining/cafe car like it does on the Cardinal.
If that is true, that the were really modified beyond installing tables and some cooking equipment, why are the table numbers sharpied onto the wall? :huh:

If that is true, that the were really modified beyond installing tables and some cooking equipment, why are the table numbers sharpied onto the wall? :huh:
Yup, major renovations. They also took out the smoking room and replaced that with tables, built an office for the LSA, and performed a major overhaul on what was the fast food prep area to allow for preparing the better SDS style meals.

I can't recall if they also took out the bathroom, but for some reason I think that they did do that.

Yup, major renovations. They also took out the smoking room and replaced that with tables, built an office for the LSA, and performed a major overhaul on what was the fast food prep area to allow for preparing the better SDS style meals.

I can't recall if they also took out the bathroom, but for some reason I think that they did do that.
Taking out the bathroom might have been the most brilliant move they've done with the change in dining concepts yet. One person backs it up and the whole car becomes bad ordered and I really wouldn't want to be eating after someone has had a "bad day" in the john.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back