Diner Lite

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AKA

OBS Chief
Booked on the CZ in June. Looks like we just missed the cut off date. Anyone have the menus for the diner lite program? ;) Going round trip by the way. CHI_SFC and return, out on 3 June and back on 9 June, sleeper all the way. Any thing else I should know?

I don't remember the entire menu - but I had the beef for dinner on the Capital Limited the other day and thought it was pretty good. My table mates had the fish and said it was pretty good as well. I had french toast for breakfast - it could have been better, and a cheesburger for lunch - which actually left a lot to be desired.

One of my other table mates indicated she has been on several LD trips, enjoys LD trips, etc - she also had the beef and said it was pretty good. She also mentioned she'll miss the "novelty and romance" of the traditional meal service, but would rather see a compromise on meal service if it helps keep LD trains in service.

Deimos

Hi Deimos,

I just asked you about this on your other thread; sorry 'bout that.

Your's is the second report of lousy french toast. I'll have to remember to avoid that next trip (if I even manage to get up for breakfast, which I often don't if the train's running ontime westbound). Seems like the rest is "mixed results," some encouraging, some discouraging.

I do agree with your tablemates. I'll miss the novelty and romance of traditional service, but I think that really departed several years ago, anyway.

Thanks for the report!

JPS

JPS -

No worries - I'll check the other thread and reply there as well:)

I've always really enjoyed french toast so it takes alot to make me remark when a meal involving french toast is not too good. I don't think it was due to how the plate was re-heated as much as I think it relates to the fact bread and related food items are probably difficult to maintain in a diner-lite situation. That is - prepared at some time well before its served and then reheated. Think about the frozen food section in the food store - the meal always looks much more appetizing on the package than it does when it comes out of the microwave.

Taking into account the fact I found the beef pretty good, and excluding the cheesburger (actually I would recommend they pull the cheeseburgers all together) the meals were Ok.

Cheers for now!

Deimos

What did they mess up on the cheeseburger?

The one I had on the Texas Eagle last year was one of the best burgers I have ever had. HUGE! Juicy and flavorful, with a fresh bun and everything. I will admit the NY strip was better, though. I guess they are not doing something right if they screwed up their great burger.

RE: the cheeseburger - this was one of those burgers that are sealed in a plastic bag - like the ones you may find in a vending machine. I'm sure the attendant was just following the instructions - i.e. microwave on high for whatever number of minutes. I ended up pulling away the bun since it tasted a bit weird - parts of it were dried out - parts were soggy. I think the burger itself may have suffered from being in cold storage too long.

Apologies to any staff who may be reading this - I don't mean for this remark to reflect on your desire to provide the meal I selected. I just think it was luck of the draw on the burger, where it may have been stored in the freezer, how long it may have been in the freezer, etc.

Deimos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back