Dining Car Hours?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Buddy, didn't they take reservations? I can't tell by the sound of your post. Did you just show up for lunch, or was that the time you were given?

Also, if seeing a lot of people in the dining car makes you uncomfortable, I suggest you ask your SCA to bring your meals to your room during your next trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
I routinely take the silver meteor from WAS to ORL and it never been so late where I have not been served dinner after boarding in WAS. Usually, the SCA will make a dinner rez for you - usually at 8pm.

As far as connecting with the Star, I do not think the normally allow it, however I did speak with a woman who was allowed the connection because the Meteor did not go where she needed to go.
I just put in CHI-ORL for the date I am going and it still shows the CL connecting with the Star as the first listing. So I am assuming that it is a guaranteed connection if they list it as the preferred connection.

I routinely take the silver meteor from WAS to ORL and it never been so late where I have not been served dinner after boarding in WAS. Usually, the SCA will make a dinner rez for you - usually at 8pm.

As far as connecting with the Star, I do not think the normally allow it, however I did speak with a woman who was allowed the connection because the Meteor did not go where she needed to go.
I just put in CHI-ORL for the date I am going and it still shows the CL connecting with the Star as the first listing. So I am assuming that it is a guaranteed connection if they list it as the preferred connection.
The CL's scheduled changed sometime last year, so, I believe, the Star is now an allowed connection.

The Cap to Star is a good connection and even if the Cap is running a bit late you still have time to wander the Station, grab a quick bite and relax in Club Acela. I wasn't worried about it last Summer as the Meteor had plenty of Roomettes still open if the Star connection went bust.

on the California zephyr, the dining room was definatly run for the convienience of the dining crew and NO ONE ESLE!
This behavior has got to end. :-(

both trips west and east the diner was at the crews convinience, open at 6 closed at 8 am, i was turned away for breakfast at 805 am again on the way back, they do what they do and do not care! Lunch was done by 1pm and dinner I got a last seating at a table by 6 because it was done at 615, you choose or you loose with this crew, i was a bit dissapointed because i just dont do meals that early .
Please file a complaint with Amtrak including the date you travelled on each train so that management knows which crew was closing the diner super-early for their own convenience.

Going along with dining hours and the CZ, does the eastbound train leaving from Denver serve dinner to those boarding? We were in coach last year when we took the train, so we had eaten before boarding, but I remember hearing a call for the 7:30 seating. Should I expect dinner after we board?

Thanks in advance for the info!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back