Dining car/meals

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grandma B

Train Attendant
In the dining car, is it correct that we are to sit side by side and not across from each other? We'll be traveling with sleeper accommodations which includes meals. Are the "on the side" breakfast sausage and desserts included or do we pay for them separately? What is the customary tip for breakfast/lunch/dinner in the dining car and the attendant in the Viewliner?

My habits on tips:

$1 Breakfast

2 Lunch

3 Dinner

(Per person)

Attendants:

$5 when they take my luggage to the room and put it up over the

hallway in the viewliner

$5-10 at the end when they take it and set it on the ground outside the

train..higher end when they did frequent checks to see what I needed.

$ x determined by circumstances: bring breakfast to room or whatever-

someone will have to jump in here on this

Diner Seating: It appears to be determined by how busy the train is or how

many people the employees are expecting to show up. I'd rather sit side by side with someone I know than to have to sit across from them with strangers at my side. If you have a preference, make it known fast and clear. In one case, I did the "slit throat" gesture when there was someone I didn't want to sit by again (he didn't see and no one else did either).

As someone said, some are chatterers and others mute. I would have gone hungry before sitting with one couple again. I was alone and they did not talk. I TRIED and tried the small talk routine and finally resorted to staring out the window (thank God for the window)...went back to the sleeper and warned another lady to avoid them at her next meal. That's a worst case situation. Most have been genuinely good meal companions. I'm a married female traveling alone. Frequently, I am seated with men traveling alone. If you have a preference about this you might say something to the diner people ahead of time. A new topic could be started on "Experiences with Diner Mates". If you sat with me at breakfast I'm sure I would be your topic. :lol:

Desserts and drinks seem to be included with the diner meals. To me, the meals are large enough as is and I rarely eat all that is included. I'm not tiny, either.

I usually tip $5 at dinner. Just had one of the best meals ever on the Silver Meteor out of Penn Station - the cod was actually pretty good and my tablemate really enjoyed the braised beef.

Officially you should tip the customary 15% at all meals assuming that you've received good service. However, since you are not presented with an actual bill, most people have no idea what 15% would be. Therefore most people tip a buck for breakfast and lunch, 2 for dinner. If you can calculate things in your head, then try to leave what is appropriate for the bill and the service, if not then the above guidelines will be sufficient.

The sleeping car attendant should get something between $5 to $10 if they do their job, which includes greeting you, explaining things in your room, setting up your beds and taking them down, providing a wake up call if you want one, and generally being visible and available to help if needed. They should also keep coffee, juice, and water available for you in a location by the public shower.

If they provide extra service, like helping with luggage, bringing you meals from the dining car, then the tip should go up.

And yes, the sides are included as part of your free meal. I routinely have sausage with my breakfast in the morning. You can also get both coffee and juice with your breakfast, or tea if you prefer. At lunch and dinner, alcohol is not included in the free meal. If you order liquor, then you will have to pay for that. But desert is indeed included as part of the free meal, assuming that you can eat it after the rather filling free meal. Many people cannot put away desert.

Also worth noting for future reference, should you encounter a Diner-Lite car, appetizers are not included as part of the free meal service.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tend to be on the generous side, so generally $3 for breakfast, $4 for lunch, and $5 for dinner. Up and down, of course, depending on service, but I've never stiffed a dining car server.

AlanB is right about the dessert thing. Sometimes I can't put it away either. But if you'd like dessert (not the desert) wrapped to take back to your compartment for a later snack, a gentle request will usually suffice. And I think that's worth an extra buck or so on the tip for such consideration.

On a recent Coast Starlight I did stiff a sleeper attendant. No service, no presence, no coffee, no juices, no nothing. But that was an extreme case.

Officially you should tip the customary 15% at all meals assuming that you've received good service. However, since you are not presented with an actual bill, most people have no idea what 15% would be. Therefore most people tip a buck for breakfast and lunch, 2 for dinner. If you can calculate things in your head, then try to leave what is appropriate for the bill and the service, if not then the above guidelines will be sufficient.
Alan,

I can easily remember the $1-$2-$3 formula and have it ahead of time. I don't order items that add to the sleeper bill, such as wine, so my tip never changes.

Last edited:
There are no "Free" meals. First Class service is not cheap and I consider the price high enough to include any gratuity.

And, would a "gentle request" sound like this?

"Don't hate me but, can you toss some plastic wrap over this, pretty please, with sugar on it?"

I'm just asking. Because I don't know what a "gentle request" is.

I see no tipping guidelines on the Amtrak website. A phone agent told me no tips are expected or required.

These employees are paid a far higher base wage than wait staff at typical restaurants that don't roll on tracks.

I'm just sayin'.

There are no "Free" meals. First Class service is not cheap and I consider the price high enough to include any gratuity.
As I type this I’m sitting in my room hotel room in Dedham, MA. What I’m paying for a night here isn’t cheap either, in fact it’s enough to get me from NYP to ORL in a roomette, but my waitress last night sure expected a tip. And my meal wasn’t included in the price either. Nor did my bed move a few hundred miles last night either.

I see no tipping guidelines on the Amtrak website. A phone agent told me no tips are expected or required.
I see no tipping guidelines on a taxi cab company’s website, yet most cabbies expect tips. I see no tipping guidelines on many restaurant websites, other than for large groups, yet most waiters/waitresses expect a tip even from a party of one. I see no tipping guidelines on United's site for baggage handlers at the curb, yet most still expect a tip.

Lack of information on a website isn't an indication that something shouldn't be done; it's an indication that either someone didn't do their programming job right, someone overlooked something, or that someone decided that it might not be appropriate to post such information.

As for a phone agent, while there are many good agents, there are also agents that have no clue either. There is no way to know what kind of an agent you got, much less what they've been told or not. The agents are trained in reservations, not necessarily the finer points of actual travel.

These employees are paid a far higher base wage than wait staff at typical restaurants that don't roll on tracks.
I'm just sayin'.
While it may be true that they are paid a higher base wage that typical wait staff, I've never seen actual proof of this, their job is also much harder than that of a typical waiter/waitress.

When was the last time you saw your local waiter/waitress trying to carry a tray full of food while the restaurant was swaying, rocking, rolling, and often making violent unexpected bounces?

When was the last time you saw your local waiter/waitress serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner on a shift that lasts from 6:00 AM to 10:00 PM or 11:00 PM?

When was the last time you saw your local waiter/waitress not going home to sleep in their own bed, at least not voluntarily?

When was the last time you saw your local waiter/waitress not being able to see their home and loved ones for as long as 5 days in order to do their job?

When was the last time you saw your local restaurant, especially on a busy day, without busboys?

And at least on an average normal day, when was the last time you saw your local waiter/waitress having to serve 8 tables that are all seated at exactly the same time? In most restaurants they don't get more than 5 or 6 tables to cover and it is rare that all of their tables arrive at the very same time. Usually they are staggered, with one or two having just arrived, another one or two eating their meals, and the remainder just finishing up.

Even the worst employees are still working harder/longer shifts than your typical waiter/waitress, and exceptional employees are really putting themselves out for their passengers. So at least IMHO, they are deserving of a little extra, even if their base salary does happen to be higher than a normal waiter/waitress.

While it may be true that they are paid a higher base wage that typical wait staff, I've never seen actual proof of this, their job is also much harder than that of a typical waiter/waitress.
When was the last time you saw your local waiter/waitress trying to carry a tray full of food while the restaurant was swaying, rocking, rolling, and often making violent unexpected bounces?
Well, i've been in bars where the staff have had to serve drinks while the place was swaying, spinning and all over the place... :p

I think the point about the lack of expectation of tipping is well taken. While tipping wait staff at a restaurant is a common and well known practice and does not require any special notice, tipping service staff on a transportation carrier is not common. Most people today would equate Amtrak service personnel to airline flight attendants. Airline flight attendants are not tipped and are, in fact, prohibited from accepting tips even if offered. Tipping railroad service people is a long-standing tradition that dates back to the pre-Amtrak days, but how many people are even aware of that in 2007. A similar situation exists with cruises, but the need to tip is well publicized and the tip is even included in the final reconciliation with the option for the passenger to add or deduct from the assumed amount if desired.

The fact is that Amtrak sells the sleeping car space as including on-board service and meals. No where on the Amtrak website or in any other Amtrak documentation does it state that tipping is expected if you, in fact, receive the service promised. A party of two on the Zephyr from Chicago to California could easily pay $1200 for the rail fare and room. If they had never ridden a train before, is it reasonable to assume that they would know they are also expected to tip the on board crew another $40 or $50 for providing the service they thought was included in the fare? Who tells them that? Should not Amtrak disclose that the fare does not include tips and provide some guidence on the expected tipping rate?

For the record, typical restaurant wait staff receive base pay of about $3 an hour. Amtrak on board staff get paid between $15 and $20 an hour. They do work hard and they deserve that pay. But conversely, their pay reflects the what they have to do and the consecutive hours they have to work (with, I might add, extra days off between trips to compensate). That kind of pay is top dollar for hospitality service. If the work is too tough or the pay is too little, they always have the option to find more agreeable employment elsewhere.

I will always be mystified by people who find ways to justify not tipping. Some of the reasons can be quite creative, too! Some will say that because they're spending so much already, that they shouldn't shell out a few more bucks for gratuities...as if the OBS employee set the ticket prices or gets a direct cut or commission from the fare. I say that if one can afford the $1,000+ for sleeping accomodations, they can afford to throw the staff a few bucks...assuming they were pleasant. But it's like this with everything in the service industry. There are always people out there who will come up with 10,000 reasons why tipping is not necessary. It's rather amusing, actually. In my mind there is only 1 reason not to tip or tip very lightly...and that's extremely poor service. To each their own.

Once upon a time I was a young CPA. While dining with an elderly rich widow she described her group of friends and a restaurant dinner discussion they had concerning tips. Her advice stuck:

If you can't pay, don't play.

Tips are customary to the OBS (everyone except the engineer and the conductor) staff of Amtrak trains. How you determine them is up to you.

"Don't hate me but, can you toss some plastic wrap over this, pretty please, with sugar on it?"

I'm just sayin'.
And people call ME cynical! HAHAHA!!

A "gentle request" goes something like this: First you get the server's attention in a polite way, maybe by raising a hand and making eye contact when they glance in your direction. Usually they're very busy, and since there's no hurry unless your stop is 5 minutes away, why be rude by doing something like shouting "Garcon!" or "Hey waiter!!"

Then the gentle request: "When you get a moment, could you wrap the cheesecake so I can take it with me?"

The gentle request works at all meals. Breakfast: "We'd like some Tabasco sauce, please." Lunch: "Another glass of water would be good when you get a chance."

It's a matter of common civility, and the Golden Rule. I've seen dining car passengers exhibit exceptional rudeness on occasion, and it's sickening and disheartening. Besides, as my folks always said, "You'll catch more flies with honey than you will with vinegar."

It's not that difficult to behave as one would in any restaurant, unless it's the Just Sayin' Bar & Grill.

Maybe I should start a column on the forum: Mr. Amtrak Manners. HA!

I personally think that tipping in the United States is totally out of control. I much prefer the system in many European countries, where the service staff are paid a decent wage and tips are not expected. I prefer their service, too -- direct, efficient, without any groveling for tips. A German waiter would simply approach your table, say "bitte," take your order, bring you the food, and cash you out right at the table when you're done. No syrupy "how are you"s, no "how you folks doin"s, no "have a great day"s, insincere smiles, and pretending to be your best friend, all in the hope of a higher tip.

That said, I tip in the U.S., of course, where the service staff are generally overworked, underpaid, and expect tips. I would fully support any measure, though, that would reduce the service workers' reliance on tips, such as mandating that they get paid at least minimum wage.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hesitate to bring up something about religion in a railroad forum, but it fits this discussion. I agree tipping has gotten out of control.

I heard a pastor say once, "if 10% is good enough for the Lord, it should be good enough for a waiter/waitress."

I am seeing restaurant bills that have suggested tip amounts, based on the total bill, shown on the bottom of the bill. And, they can be as hight as 22-25% as a suggestion.

Bit, I also agree wait staff at most places don't make a decent wage.

And, why don't we tip at McDonald's or Burger King? They are "wait" staff, too.

I hesitate to bring up something about religion in a railroad forum, but it fits this discussion. I agree tipping has gotten out of control.
I heard a pastor say once, "if 10% is good enough for the Lord, it should be good enough for a waiter/waitress."

I am seeing restaurant bills that have suggested tip amounts, based on the total bill, shown on the bottom of the bill. And, they can be as hight as 22-25% as a suggestion.

Bit, I also agree wait staff at most places don't make a decent wage.

And, why don't we tip at McDonald's or Burger King? They are "wait" staff, too.
You don't tip at fast food places because those people are getting paid a legal wage. Waiters at ordinary restaurants do not legally have to be paid minimum wage (and therefore aren't) because part of their income is based on tips. (The tip is therefore absolutely part of the cost of your meal; if the owner had to pay legal wages to waiters, your food bill would rise.) Not only is base wage VERY low, but there are lots of other little ways that their wages are reduced -- like being "off work" for a couple hours in the middle of the day, so that the restaurant doesn't have to pay them during a slow time. Of course, many times it's not possible to find another job or even go home for such a short bit of time.

As for 10% for the Lord, it's a clever bon mot, but waiters don't get 10% of your income, so the analogy does fall apart a bit. No one I know of ever got rich waiting tables.

Stiffing a waiter's tip is one thing if you'll never be in the restaurant again; I'd think twice before irritating someone I'll be living with for the next 15 hours, and who may be friends with the guy I'm hoping will wake me up in time for my station....

Finally, the "more flies with honey than with vinegar" always makes me smile to think of my father's usual comeback, which relates to the insincere friendliness some dislike: "If it's flies you want, the thing for it is horse s**t."

:rolleyes:

I'm just sayin'.
And people call ME cynical! HAHAHA!!

A "gentle request" goes something like this: First you get the server's attention in a polite way, maybe by raising a hand and making eye contact when they glance in your direction. Usually they're very busy, and since there's no hurry unless your stop is 5 minutes away, why be rude by doing something like shouting "Garcon!" or "Hey waiter!!"

Then the gentle request: "When you get a moment, could you wrap the cheesecake so I can take it with me?"

The gentle request works at all meals. Breakfast: "We'd like some Tabasco sauce, please." Lunch: "Another glass of water would be good when you get a chance."

It's a matter of common civility, and the Golden Rule. I've seen dining car passengers exhibit exceptional rudeness on occasion, and it's sickening and disheartening. Besides, as my folks always said, "You'll catch more flies with honey than you will with vinegar."

It's not that difficult to behave as one would in any restaurant, unless it's the Just Sayin' Bar & Grill.

Maybe I should start a column on the forum: Mr. Amtrak Manners. HA!
Just one point I would like to add to your excellent post if that's OK with you Patrick. Just where is one going to go after wolfing down a diner meal? I've waited 45" for milk to go with my dessert and left a $10 bill tip traveling by myself. It's all in the attitude and the way the dining car staff handle the car. I enjoy every minute in the diner because 90% of the time I'm day dreaming about how things used to be in the same car pre-Amtrak. Not that I haven't enjoyed some meals in recent times but the days of scratch biscuits and fried chicken (on board) and just memories of days gone by. One rule of thumb that I try to live by; no matter how uncivil the help gets I back off and take names. It's utterly amazing how quick the train grapevine can have you labeled as a moaner and groaner and it's not worth three days of Rolaids to me.

I always travel with someone on Amtrak, wether a friend or family member, so my prices are based on two people. When I travel on Amtrak I usually leave $3-5 for Breakfast, $5 for lunch, $7-9 for dinner. I of course go up and down depending on service. I tip sleeper attendants generally $10 per night (for 2 people).

I remember the last time I rode the Capitol, I had a $10 and a $5. I was planning on giving the $10 to my attendant and leaving the $5 at lunch time. However, I thought the attendant could have been a little bit more friendly, so I gave him a $5 (he did everything he was supposed to, and spoke and looked very professional). Meanwhile the waitress/LSA I had in the diner for breakfast was so good and friendly, and going out of her way to make sure everyone had a great time, I left her $10 for lunch.

There's a term used by Southerners called, "visitin" (yeah, yeah the g is missing but that's how it's said). Anyway, being in the diner and on a ld train is a lot like "visitin". It's a place where the ambiance is a little slower paced and you can pause between conversations without being afraid of the silence. You watch the scenery go by, you eat some more, you talk some more. You can observe every detail that passes. The slower pace lends itself to the practice of manners (civility), such as asking, "how are you". I actually care when I ask that (my phrase is, "is everything ok with you today" and it seems to come across to those who are asked. This usually works with anyone who waits on you and is worth an experiment on your part to see what happens when you practice it.... and mean it.

I much prefer the system in France, where the 15% is automatically included in the cost of things in restaurants and bars, but "when in Rome" etc etc, then a few dollars at each meal aint going to break the bank. As a railwayman for 27 years, I can appreciate the long hours, days away from home and far from easy working conditions, so as long as someone is pleasant and does their job to the best of their ability then why not say thank you in some small way.

I know its a bit off topic, but what really annoys me is the likes of hotels and the silly charges for room service, delivery charge, service charge and then we leave the slip total open at the bottom of the check......

Tipping for service based on how good or bad that service is, is a way of life in the US. I was taught about tipping by my parents and others when I was young. My Dad worked for a railroad so some of my early experience with tipping was on the train. The service back in the 50s and 60s prior to Amtrak was usually superb. Much of the onboard service staff had been trained by the Pullman Company even though they later worked for railroads in their dining cars, lounge cars or parlor cars. If you traveled certain rail routes frequently, you got to know the sleeping car, dining car and lounge attendants almost like old friends. They went out of their to make sure getting to your destination was a good experience and with that type of service you expected to tip. Today service has deteriorated in all types of businesses. Most of the Amtrak employees go out of their way to provide excellent service and they should be tipped regardless of their base salaries. On board service people on Amtrak cannot be compared to anything else except maybe cruise ships. There have been times on Amtrak when I have not tipped or left lower than the expected amount because the service warranted it, but if the service is good or excellent, I tip accordingly. In most industries today, employees have a review process each year where their salary increase for the next year is based on performance. For an Amtrak service employee, their tips should give them feed back on their performance on each trip.

"in France, where the 15% is automatically included in the cost of things "

...so as a result you always pay a premium tip whether the service was premium or not... not a good deal.

...so as a result you always pay a premium tip whether the service was premium or not... not a good deal.
Depends on your point of view.For me its a good system because the price on the menu is the price you pay and it, to my mind anyway, saves the pantomime you can get in America, where the waiter is trying to be your best friend and keeps returning every few minutes to ask if everything is "ok"...... Good service shouldnt be in your face and over the top. Sometimes I prefer the icy distain of a Parisian waiter than some smiling loon trying to butter you up for a good tip!

Other points of view are available!

Depends on your point of view.For me its a good system because the price on the menu is the price you pay and it, to my mind anyway, saves the pantomime you can get in America, where the waiter is trying to be your best friend and keeps returning every few minutes to ask if everything is "ok"...... Good service shouldnt be in your face and over the top. Sometimes I prefer the icy distain of a Parisian waiter than some smiling loon trying to butter you up for a good tip!

Other points of view are available!
Neil,

I feel differently about this, I do like to see my waiter coming by to check on me to see if I need more water or another glass of wine during my meal. I think that is proper and professional. If it's obvious that they don't care a whit about me and are only asking so as to boost their tip, that's different. But if they are just doing their job, which is to make sure that I have everything that I need, then they do need to stop by and ask if I'm ok. I shouldn't have to go looking for them or wave my hands just to get something. Just my humble opinion.

IMHO I just saw one of the most perfect examples of good customer service this weekend at a Hilton hotel just outside of Boston. I was having dinner in the bar/lounge area of the hotel, since the resturant was closed due to a large convention group using it. My waiter was James and he did his job, but nothing more. On the other hand we had Annie another waitress who without regard to "whose" section she was in, kept checking with every table to make sure that they had everything that the needed. And the place was quite busy, in fact packed, thanks to the closed resturant.

I saw her more than I saw my official waiter. She did refill my water glass once, and she brought me my check when I couldn't find my waiter at the end of the meal. I was quite impressed with her, as she did all of that with no hope of a tip from me or any other table that wasn't her's. She was polite and not intrusive at all IMHO. She IMHO was the perfect example of how to serve customers and we need more like her.

I actually did give her a small tip (I still gave James his tip on the check) and told her how impressed I was with her service and attitude. I even made sure to speak with the hostess on my way out to make sure that she knew what a valuable employee Annie is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back